“Dirty grounds, cockroaches in the room, lackluster service - need I say more.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Save Saved
You added La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort to your Saves list
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   49499 Eisenhower Dr., La Quinta, CA 92253   |
Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in La Quinta
Oakland, California
“Dirty grounds, cockroaches in the room, lackluster service - need I say more.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

Read the many negative reviews on Tripadvisor and not sure why I did not listen and went ahead and booked a stay there for a friends wedding. This is NOT a Waldorf property, its essentially a Holiday Inn with lovely (see caveat) grounds.
Check in was fast, pretty cold front desk staff, not informative, pretty much leave you out in the cold to find your room in this huge resort.
Got a starlight casita room, dark, dirty, probably never been deep cleaned, dush everywhere, bathroom piping makes a horrible sound when you turn on the water. Patio furniture was horrific, probably last cleaned in the 20's when the resort opened. Also, a cockroach greeted us on two nights in the bathroom - how lovely. Calls the the front desk were met with a dull response, sort of like they knew it was coming. No offer for a new room, no apologies.
Pools are lovely, but unkempt. Palm tree leaves and flowers and piles of dirt in the pool were never cleaned over our 4 day stay. The grounds are nice with flowers, etc, but maintenance poor as trash is everywhere, see my photos from a 1pm walk around the resort, clearly, no hotel staff cares about the hygeine of this place.
Food is average, basic resort food for high prices - no suprises there.
Service is slow, seemed reactive rather than proactive. No staff member really seemed to care, I think they get enough wedding/convention business, they dont really care about the image of the hotel.
The hotel is really really pretty with lovely numerous pools, it is a gem in the desert, sadly though poor management, dirty rooms and grounds and cockroaches seem to be the normal here and clearly not up to par with the 4 star resort they promote, nor was it worth the 300 bucks/night we paid.

1,663 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

Let me start off by saying that I travel 50 weeks a year for business, have over 2 million FF miles, current Platinum with Marriott and former Diamond with Hilton, this establishment, it’s staff and their treatment of the group I traveled with for what was supposed to be a relaxing week of golf with friends has turned into an absolute nightmare some 30 days later.

The issues I will describe below are not simply in areas of customer service, but they also deal with credit card fraud, charges for items and services that were never explained or that even occurred.

As soon as we arrived there were issues, our group of 14 had booked this trip 11 months in advance, we have booked similar trips to other destinations in similar style resorts and have never had issues with having our rooms located together. Upon arrival, I was informed that my roommate and I would not be located anywhere near the other members of our party, nor would any of them be located together, we would, in essence, be scattered throughout the resort. When we asked as to the reasoning behind this the front desk staff had no answers and told us to work with someone else to try to get the issue resolved the next day – but this would mean switching rooms for everyone. At the same time I inquired about any upgrades that might be available and was told that there were none, which was fine – it never hurts to ask.

The next morning the group leader worked with the staff to re-locate us to an area where our rooms would be somewhat close, all of us had to pack up and move, we were still spread out over several different bungalow areas but closer than before. Since we had to check out of the rooms we were required to physically check-out at the front desk and re-check back in. As I did this I was notified that due to the upgrade I received for the first night I would be charged $XX.XX – I told them that I did not get an upgrade as I was told there was none to be had and was informed they could not reverse the charge and that I would need to take that issue up with their Billing department. For the seasoned traveler who may be reading this, simply put yourself in this situation and ask how ridiculous this sounds.

I’d also like to take a step back and explain how these golf outings are generally booked and charged – we booked 11 months out, as stated above, 3 months prior we are required to send a deposit of several hundred dollars to hold the reservations/tee times etc. All members of the group did this, so our cards were charged the appropriate deposit amounts. Upon arrival/check-out our cards would be charged the remaining balance + any incidentals occurred during the trip (phone, internet, room-service etc) – this is important b/c this is a very simple formula – we pay a deposit and on check-out we pay the balance – not a difficult concept for such a ‘seasoned and professional facility’ as they claim to be.

As the week progressed several members of the group who monitor their Credit Cards frequently began to notice charges appearing on them - $50.00 here, $75.00 there - all tied to the resort, when asked for an explanation from the front desk, none could be given, some charges were able to be reversed, some were told the same thing I was told that only their Billing department could adjust those charges.

Upon our check-out the fun began, NO ONE was charged the same amount – meaning none of our balances were the same and none of us had incidental charges to our rooms. We were all part of the same group and all were given the same rate, but were all charged different amounts and some of the amounts varied by several hundred dollars. I personally was charged on TWO credit cards for the full amount, the card they had on file to simply hold my reservation 11 months back and then the actual card I used to check out with. My question to those who are frequent travelers is – if they had my card on file, why did they ask for my card upon arrival if they knew they were going to charge my original card ?? Once again – I smell fraudulent activity. Why were none of the members of the group charged the same amount at check-out ?

Every member of this group was outraged but was told there was nothing that could be done and none of the managers had any answers, so we were told to contact the resort when we returned home and all would be taken care and straightened out. We did this immediately and funneled all correspondence to the resort through one member of our group, he had all the details and was told to work with our original golf outing coordinator.

For the first week, this gentleman did everything he could to make the situation right, but the resort’s billing department was not cooperating and none of the charges were updated to all be the same for everyone NOR would any of the bogus incidentals (room upgrades, phantom CC charges) removed or reversed.

The next week, a senior member of the resort’s staff became involved and assured us that things would be resolved – they were not. Due to the sheer amount of fraudulent activity that was occurring on 14 people’s credit cards, the resort and this senior executive decided to do the right thing and made a statement to all of us in the group that due to the overwhelming circumstances and blatant disrespect to us, their patrons – they would reverse all charges and comp the entire outing. WE NEVER ASKED FOR THIS – WE SIMPLY WANTED OUR CORRECT AMOUNTS TO BE CHARGED TO US AND OUR FRADULENT CHARGES REVERSED……………………..

THAT WAS 2.5 WEEKS AGO AND NOTHING HAS HAPPENED.

What has happened is that now our case has been given over to a different senior level member of the resort staff who isn’t quite sure that any compensation is due to us, nor should any of the fraudulent charges be reversed. All of our correspondence is still being funneled through one member of our group as to avoid complications and headaches to their staff – this, I feel, is a courtesy from us to them even though they have shown us nothing but fraud and disrespect.

I urge anyone who is reading this, to think twice about booking at this resort – if I published the amounts of money that some members have been charged on their cards it would shock you – we are talking in the thousands of dollars. My double bill issue has not been reversed, I have disputed the charge with AMEX Platinum and will take it up with them.

Stay away from this resort, unless you enjoy getting the ‘run around’ and working with staff who are not qualified to answer the simplest of questions. The Hilton and Waldorf should be absolutely ashamed of their treatment of this situation and this group of travelers.

Stayed April 2011
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

Wonderful place... Amazing Tennis Center run by the one and only Tom Gorman! If you enjoy tennis (at any level), this is a place for you...

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

My husband and I booked a travel package for the Coachella Music Festival which included a stay at La Quinta. The resort came highly recommended by friends and family, and they were right on! Great service, the room was very nice (although a little old and worn, we were in the original part of the hotel, but it added to its charm) and there was a lot of privacy given that the rooms are in "casitas". We also had massages at the Spa--heavenly! The pools were crowded--it was very hot--but we always found chairs and an umbrella, even if we had to walk around a little bit--there are too many pools within the hotel to count. The only "blip" in our trip was the extremely slow and unresponsive service at one of the resort restaurants, TwentySix. I think they were just overwhelmed with the crowds for the festival weekend, but at one point, even after getting the attention of another server, we sat for almost thirty minutes before someone stopped by to take our order. We also ate at the Mexican food restaurant, I can't remember the name, but the service there was good. I highly recommend this hotel for festivals at the Empire Polo fields--it is really close to the concert venue and we utlized the shuttle that was included in our package purchased through Valley Music Travel (which I highly recommend--the package was seamless from beginning to end). Just be prepared when eating at the resort to wait with the throngs if you want to sit down and eat. The hotel also set up temporary snack carts where you could purchase to-go items, which was a nice alternative.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
La Quinta, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

Our entire family loved La Quinta... we all play tennis and the kids were in the kids' tennis camps and took lessons from Coach Tom, Coach Jim, Coach Ian and Coach Leif. All helped the kids (and their parents!) to get better. The front desk staff of cindy and Julie greeted us each day with a smile, and were able to set up some private matches as well. We'll be back next spring break.

Flagstaff, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

We came to the resort on a trip that was paid by for work for leisure. Thank goodness we did not pay for this experience. The first impression was that while our room was a good size it was dirty. Dust on light fixtures, black dirt along the edges of everything, and dirty furniture and the curtains are water stained and dirty. It looks like it gets occasionally wiped down with a damp cloth but never really cleaned. The first call we made to the front desk was to ask them to clean the patio furniture as the entire patio was filthy. They cleaned it right away. Our second call was to fix the air conditioner as the room could not get below 83 degrees on a 100 degree day. They came right away and made a lot of noise (in the bathroom??) but the air was fixed temporarily. Then we called to have the comforter changed as they do not use duvets they just wrap the comforter in two flat sheets so when the sheets are pulled back the comforter was covered in old bloodstains. This they said they replaced but they just turned it over because the same bloodstain was back when the next maid came the next day. Then the AC was broken again, this time it took a little longer for them to come and by the time he came it was 85 degrees in the room so I had opened the doors to get a breeze going. The maintenance man then proceeds to tell me I broke the AC because I was running it with the door open and it cant cool the outdoors!!! I told him I just opened the door and he rolled his eyes at me and then put a note on the AC control unit not to run the AC with the doors open!! So rude I could not believe it. We tried to enjoy the pool in the day time and the umbrella was broken and would not stay up so we could not stay out long because of the extreme sun and no shade. The pool tile is coated in a think layer of body grease which is disgusting. We were here for five days and the pool was never cleaned. We went out tonight to see and it still had the same palm fronds in it as it did three days ago. We walked to several of the the other pools and they were all in the same condition.

There are so many things wrong with this place I am getting tired of listing them but the worst was we had called ahead and booked several hundred dollars of spa services and when we got here we were told there were no reservations in our name. All they have left was one spot for a couples massage so we took it. They asked if we preferred male or female therapists and we said female and they gave us a male which was so awkward. All is all I would not come here again as they do not maintain it at all! This is too bad because the concept and the place are amazing if they were just being taken care of.

West Orange, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

We were here for work but could not help falling in love with the grounds, the staff, the pools and my suite even had a private yard and jacuzzi. I can wait to come back on vacation. The night before we left, they even had fireworks and what a light show with mountain in the background. Thank you

Room Tip: Such great rooms and suites look at the website