“This is our new favorite hotel! Can't wait to go back.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
The Living Desert Offer
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in La Quinta
Apple Valley, CA
“This is our new favorite hotel! Can't wait to go back.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2009

This was a last minute booking online as our other plans got cancelled due to poor weather. Palm Springs area was the only place in CA with outstanding sunshine and weather for the week after school got out. They have been experiencing unusually cool weather for this time of year (temps below 100 every day), so we took adavantage of it.

We have two young children and have grown very accustomed to staying at Marriott Vacation club properties, usually in a 2 bedroom suite. So when I was able to book a 2 bedroom suite at Homewood Suites La Quinta for $145 a night (which we had to pre-pay for that rate), I was thrilled. We knew since we were booking 4 nights Mon. to Friday that we would have both breakfast and dinner included everyday for that rate, so it was an outstanding value. This property has 6 total of the2 bedroom suites. Three of them have 2 queen beds in the second bedroom (all three units are in the same front North West corner of this 3 story property), while the other suites have a king bed in the second bedroom ( these rooms face the interior courtyard area where the beautiful pool area is). The first floor rooms are the only ones that have a patio so we were glad we had the first floor unit facing the pool area. Our patio was very private because it was located behind the pool fountain and palm trees. Not much of view but we really enjoyed the privacy.

Our unit was plenty spacious enough (975 sq. ft) for the four of us. If we had 3 kids with us I think that would have been fine too as one child could sleep on the sleeper sofa in the family room. We gave the kids the bedroom that was intended as the master bedroom because this room was right next to the elevator and I'm sensitive to noise when I sleep. However, because the hotel was not crowded, I never heard the elevator once. Perhaps it would not have been a problem at all. Our unit was very tastefully decorated and I liked the large artwork on the walls and the granite counters were of course nice too. Each bedroom has it's own bathroom and the vanity area is seperate from the toilet and shower which I always like. The hairdryer in the unit was very powerful so unless you have a special hairstyle that requires a lot of blow drying, you won't need to bring your dryer. The cord was long too. The beds were very comfortable and I'm partciluar about beds. They weren't too hard or too soft, but just right! Plenty of storage space for clothes as each room including the family room had a dresser with 3 drawers. The closets were very spacious. I liked how the showers which are bath tubs with shower curtains, had the type of shower curtain rod that sways out giving you more room in the shower.

The family room had a couch for two adults or 2 kids and one adult could fit plus an easy chair with ottoman. This was adequete seating for the 4 of us. As per all Homewood suites I've stayed in, the kitchen had everything but an oven. Full size fridge is always nice, we kept plenty of cold drinks in there as well as some snacks. I had to rearrange all the kitchen dishes and pans so I could store some food, but once I did I had plenty of room to put what I needed in the cupboards.

The airconditioners worked great in each room and did not make any unexpected noises or blow on us in an annoying way.

We were extremely happy with our unit and had only one complaint which wasn't a big deal for us. The internet connection was not reliable in our room despite having an ether net cable and switching it out once. There was a business center with two computers for guests to use with complimentary internet service. The property is planning on getting wireless internet for the whole building soon, so this will likely not be an issue next time we visit. They already had the lobby and dining and pool patio area equipped with wireless.

We were very excited to be staying during the week knowing we would have dinner provided for us all four nights (breakfast is served 7 days a week). We generally cook all our meals in our unit when we are timesharing as we aren't big fans of going to restaurants with the kids; it's just not relaxing and always costs so much money! The food every night was very good, tasty and pleniful! Since you can eat as much as you like we certainly didn't go away hungry. The quality of the food was above what I expected as well as the staff attentiveness to the buffet area. The staff was constantly checking to see if food needed to be replenished and keeping the area clean. I even saw staff walking around refilling peoples wine glasses during the evening! Beer and wine are inlcuded with dinner. Staff was often walking around also clearing peoples dishes. Alma is the food and beverage supervisor and her and her staff do nothing less than an outstanding job at feeding all the hungry guests! They were always friendly and pleasant in addition to being very attentive to their duties. At dinner there was always a salad bar regardless of what they were serving for dinner, so that it nice. Our dinners while we were there were pizza night with bread sticks, tomatoe bisque soup (which was excellent) the first night. Then we had beef fajitas with rice and beans, then Cordon Bleu with wild rice and mixed vegetables and lasagna with garlic bread the last night. They always have lemonade and ice water available in addition to the wine and beer. They don't have milk out in the buffet area, but every evening we asked for it for the children and it was never a problem.

The dining room faces the pool courtyard so it has a pretty view. There are also many tables and chairs outside on the dining patio just prior to going through the pool gate if you like to eat dinner al fresco (which we did two nights and really enjoyed).

In the dining area they also constantly maintain a coffee bar 24 hours a day with both regular and decaf, flavored creamers and ceramic coffee mugs or nice paper cups to go. This has been one of many touches I always enjoy at every Homewood Suties I have visited.

Laura Ellsworth was one of the managers I had several very nice encounters with. When I voiced interest in seeing one of the boardroom suites (larger, nicer one bedroom suites), she immediately took care of it herself and personally showed me two suites with different layouts and different patio configurations. I really appreciated her help and her friendliness was just one example of the excellent staff this property has. I did not find any staff who were unattentive or uncaring as referred in a few other posts. I always approach staff in a friendly way and have no problems getting my needs met.

Now for the pool area, one of the real pleasures of this property! The pool area is the nicest I have seen for a smallish hotel. The four leaf clover shaped pool was fairly large with two large step areas. The first step was big and basically made up for not having a kiddie pool. So if you have litte ones, this will be perfect for them! There was one jacuzzi which was plenty adequete for this hotel. There was a nice rock fountain at the other end of the pool, opposite side from the dining area, so you could see and hear it from the outdoor patio. The pool lounge chairs were of high quality and very comfortable. Plenty of cocktail tables and market umbrellas on the pool deck ( I counted over a dozen umbrellas which was really nice). There were also at least 3 regular size talbes wtih four chairs each for visiting, playing games or eating poolside. The pool area was also where they had two nice gas BBQ grills with tile counter suround. The landscaping in the pool area was lovely with lots of Palm trees. What else could you want? How about nice pool towels? Yep, they had those two. These were a nice surprise given that the other Homewood suites I have visited had pool towels that were slightly larger than a hand towel (no kidding). These were large and plush and were almost always stocked sufficiently. This is the rare hotel that you could easily make as a destination to enjoy just the property if your budget does not allow for a big fancy resort, like the JW Marriott in Palm Desert. The pool area was very relaxing and beautiful and roomy. Just loved it.

This property is very clean from the hallways to all the landscaping areas to the lobby. Just impeccable. The maintenance staff was also very friendly and attended quickly to any concern or problem we had. Dave even asked us the next day how our internet was working afer he came to our room and brought a new cable.

We simply can't say enough good things about this property and the people who work here. Our next stay here can't come soon enough. I wish we could be pampered like this at every hotel we stay in!

If anyone who is serious about staying here would like a copy of the hotel layout I would be happy to fax it to you. Just send me a PM here on tripadvisor. Did you know you can request a certain room to satisfy your needs? Eric was very helpful in helping us secure our great 2 bedroom suite on the first floor.

Hope you get a chance to visit here soon!

Janna

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
southern california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

My extended stays at the Homewood Suites by Hilton in La Quinta California have been delightful! They all treat me like family, from the management, to a cheerful, friendly front desk, to housekeeping, the dining room and kitchen, to the guys in maintenance. The hotel has a great location, convenient for shopping, restaurants and day trips. The view of the Santa Rosa Mountains are spectacular!
For the sport enthusiast,The Indian Wells Tennis Gardens is located across the street within walking distance from the hotel. A few suggestions for the future would include some covered parking, it is the the Mojave Desert after all, and updated flat screen televisions in the suites. Now... I saved the best for last. The hotel is beautifully decorated, and the suites very comfortable and quiet. The food service is terrific, always plentiful and delicious. So, with all that is include here, the value cannot be beat! Looking forward to my future say at my home away from home, Homewood Suites by Hilton La Quinta California!

• Stayed June 2006, traveled solo
Huntington beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2009

Loved staying here! Quiet, clean, spacious, and comfortable. Monday through Thursday they provide a wonderful breakfast and dinner including Happy Hour. I really don't want to tell everyone this so it won't be busy when I want to go again, but it is a great bargin!!!!!!! I can hardly wait to go again!!!!!!! The sales manager, Laura, is a wonderful person to get to know. She is so helpful and wants to meet your every need! EXCELLENT!!!!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Burbank, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

We mostly enjoyed our experience at the Homewood Suites La Quinta, with a few exceptions:

What We Liked:

1. All suite arrangement with full (microwave, full fridge, stove utensils) kitchen. Great for our family (5, including a 7 year old and 2 year old twins).

2. Hot breakfast with good quality each morning in attractive lobby.

3. New property that seems to attract friendly, experienced travelers.

4. Location proximate to the best the desert has to offer (IMO) - tennis garden, golfing, Hwy 111 (good shopping and restaurants), Rancho Mirage, Indian Wells. Much more consistent than Palm Springs, which is hit-or-miss in terms of quality accommodations.

5. Original room we were offered (304) was a good-sized one-bedroom suite. Story about why we didn't take it is below in what we didn't like.

6. The price was right (about $140 avg during high season with AAA rate).

What We Didn't Like

1. Suite we stayed in (300) seemed cramped and small. We were originally offered 304, which seemed 1/3 larger because of its corner location, but the smell of smoke in the room was overwhelming (supposed to be a non-smoking room). It would have been a nice gesture to offer us a larger room, but instead we were busted down to 300. Which leads me to #2...

2. The front-desk staff seemed inexperienced and unconcerned about their guests' experience. For example, they didn't seem too concerned with helping out with problems like our smoky room. Their solution was to put us in a smaller room instead. When I asked for another room with the same configuration as 304, I was assigned another room...which turned out to be the same size as 300 except with two queens instead of a king. Huh? How's that bigger? After complaining *again*, I was told I could move into 204 (same configuration as 304), but that it wouldn't be available for 'several hours'. At that point, it just wasn't worth the trouble of moving 5 people who knows when. We got similar responses when reporting we'd not received our paper 2 of 3 days and when we couldn't find luggage carts at checkout ('hmm. that's too bad.')

3. The breakfast was good, but repetitive. At the last Homewood Suites we stayed at (Chicago) the breakfast offerings changed everyday (i.e. waffles, french toast and pancakes instead of pancakes, pancakes and pancakes).

In the end, this is a comfortable hotel in a good location, just be prepared to be aggressive about your needs, and try to deal with hotel management instead of the front-desk staff if you don't get what you want.

• Liked — True suite arrangement (door separating bedroom from living area), location, new property, free hot breakfast
  • Disliked — Inexperienced, blase front-desk staff, small rooms for a true-suite accommodation, 'groundhog day' breakfast
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2008

Stayed there for one night and was very happy with the place. Very clean place. The bed was the biggest highlight for me. Normally I don't like to stay in hotels as beds and pillows are so uncomfortable. But the bed they had felt like I was home and the sheets were so soft.

Also they include free breakfast which is not just fruit and pastries but a full on buffet.

• Liked — Bed and breakfast
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2008

We stayed here in mid-October 2008, in two rooms---a 1 bedroom suite & a studio suite. Both rooms were very nice, though the 1 bed suite seemed a bit small compared to other Homewood Suite locations we've stayed in. We have a baby & set up the Pack & Play in the living room area & to do so we have to stand the cofee table on end & then there was still just barely room to walk around the Pack & Play. The hotel is very clean & everything is in great shape & it was very quiet. The "light dinner" was terrific with homemade enchaladas the night we were there and yummy fresh baked chocolate chip cookies as dessert. With the salad bar, it was enough for a meal for us, so we didn't have to go out, though there was an Applebee's right next door & many other restaurants nearby if you wanted to go out. Breakfast was good, although the scrambled eggs were the basic mix-type---not particularly tasty, but there were plenty of other choices for food. We went to The Living Desert Zoo during our stay & found it to be very close---a 15 minute drive on surface streets.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
White Rock, BC Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2008

People seem to have problems locating this hotel. To clear up confusion, this hotel is located right on the corner of Washington and Miles. If you are arriving southbound on Washington via highway 10, turn left on Miles and then quickly turn right into the first driveway you see. The hotel sign on Miles is about a six inch square and you can easily drive right by it if you are looking for hotel signage alone.

We are not sure why other reviewers are complaining about the medians. Although inconvenient, U-turns are legal except where signs state "no u-turns" at traffic lights.

This hotel has a better food selection compared to other Hilton properties we stayed at. We noticed food, service and maid service was better with the Monday to Friday staff compared to the weekend shift though, but that happens with a lot of hotels in general.

Because this hotel has only been open for just over a year you will find the rooms in "like new" condition. The rooms are clean, beds are comfortable with lots of extra pillows. The pool is a generous size, cloverleaf in shape and there are a couple BBQ's provided for your use too.

We liked the location of this hotel compared to other properties in Palm Springs. Lots of shopping, restaurants, etc. in the vicinity. One should not miss Shields Date Gardens nearby and try their Soft Medjool dates and date milkshakes. (you can find a 2 for 1 date milkshake coupon in the Desert Key magazine)

Overall we enjoyed our stay here and would not hesitate to stay here again in the future.

• Liked — pool, food & food service Monday - Friday, convenient location close to other restaurants, shopping, etc.
  • Disliked — We didn't like the taste of the coffee provided in room and at breakfast. There are better tasting coffees out there why Hilton likes to use this one is a mystery.
  • Stayed October 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton La Quinta? Share your experiences!