“Recent stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in La Mirada
Michigan
“Recent stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

Have stayed here several times. Rooms are always clean, but dated. Staff is superb and always friendly. If you are headed to Knottsberry Farms or Disney, you may want to consider this hotel. This is too far from LA, if that is where you are headed. Will stay here again because of staff.

• Stayed May 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn La Mirada, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear jallen370,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. It is delightful to know that you found our staff to be friendly. However, please accept my apology if you found our rooms to be dated. Your additional comments have been noted and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments to consider for improvements needed at our hotel.

Again, thanks for the candid review and we hope to see you again soon!

Regards,

Pam G
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I have stayed at this property multiple times and really have had no problems until this most recent stay (check-in 5/24, check-out 5/26 Room #844). I booked thought Hotwire and got an amazing rate for the Memorial Day weekend. The room was clean and refreshed both days. No problem there. (Minus the huge brown spider crawling on the ceiling above the bed). My issue is with their check-in process, the air freshener smell and the noise in the room. I was given a room on the Executive Floor. I noticed no difference from other rooms other than wood crown molding in the hallways and rooms. In fact, I had a corner room once with a wet bar and couch that was nicer on a "regular floor." The floor offers an executive breakfast and happy hour, but not on the weekends and not for the "Hotwire folks" that say there on the off days lol

Having been here before I noticed that they will NOT let you check in prior to 3:00pm. Having driven from AZ the night before without sleep and going straight to Knott's for a few hours, I was eager to check into the room. I got to the hotel around 2:15 and was greeted by the desk clerk who took my license and credit card. Halfway through the registration process he told me there were no rooms and I would have to come back. I asked when I should return. He handed back the cards and said 3:00. I noticed a lobby full of people. Chatting and listening to their conversations, I noticed they were all waiting to check in, It is kind of surprising that at 2:15 there were NO rooms, but in 45 minutes, there would be rooms for all of these people.

So, I sat on the couch with others and waited. While we were all waiting for the magical 3:00pm to appear, the housekeeping guy was walking around and spraying air freshener into the carpet while we were all sitting there. The lady next to me started coughing as it all blew into our faces.

The hotel lobby has one of the strongest air freshener smells I have ever smelled (minus the Venetian in Las Vegas). It is overwhelming. 3:00 o'clock arrived and I walked up to the front desk to be greeted by a very nice clerk (in training). He was much nicer than the previous one. He said my room was now ready. (Although I am sure it was ready 45 minutes earlier). I told him and his co-worker about the air freshener incident. They said they would speak with the employee. As I walked outside to get my bags, another employee (or the same one, not sure) was spraying even more air freshener into the air.

The hallways and room: even more air freshener. It was so strong, I had to open the window. In fact, it gave me a nasty headache. I had to leave the room for a bit to get away from it. Then came the noise. The room is next to a Housekeeping office of some sorts and the elevator to the pool. OMG the noise! One of the loudest rooms I have ever stayed in. The noise was especially bad in the morning. I'm not sure if it was coming from Housekeeping or the elevator, but it certainly was annoying. Do not stay in this room!

After leaving, I noticed a $5.00 charge to my debit card. When I called, I was put on hold twice (approx. 5-10 minutes), the clerk informed me that they were trying to process a credit on my $50.00 hold, but accidentally charged me another $5.00????

Once again, the rooms are always clean. The bed and pillows were comfy. The pool area is nice and the fitness center is adequate. There is a Red Robin on property, an Elephant Bar and another restaurant directly across the street. There is an In-n-Out Burger within walking distance and the AM/PM around the corner is one of the cheapest stations in the area for gas. Knott's is less than 10 minutes away and Disneyland is just a few minutes further down the road. Freeway access is easy.

The hotel needs to tone down the air freshener smell. It is overpowering. Avoid the rooms near housekeeping and the elevators and don't try to check in early. Otherwise this is a nice property in a good location.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn La Mirada, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear phxaztrave,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. I am deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. I appreciate you for bringing this into our attention as the feedback we receive from our guests like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to improve our guest services.

Krysllin G.
Augusta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

The Holiday Inn is located off of I-5 but with the construction on the interstate it is not the easiest place to get in and out. The hotel has a Red Robin restaurant attached. The lobby is spacious and there is a gift shop with souvenirs, toiletries and snacks for sale. On the main floor there is also a weight and exercise room which is small but usually there are few people using this room except for early in the morning.
The staff is friendly. The hotel itself is in need of some upgrading. The floors in the room were dirty. The walls are paper thin so you hear your neighbor and their TV as well as anyone in the hallway talking. If you are a light sleeper you will not like this. The room service is supplied by the Red Robin. The service is okay, sometime a little tardy.
The housekeeping staff seems to be hit or miss. I have had them not change out the rolls of tissue paper or they leave amenities or sometimes they do not. Sometimes they leave three face clothes and sometimes two. The housekeeping could use some improvement.
It is an okay place but there are quieter places to stay.

Room Tip: All rooms have paper thin walls. However you may want one on the backside of the hotel to reduce th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear OrlandoMouse,

Thank you for your review and for enumerating the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made.

Krysllin G.
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is a good one. It is clean and the rooms are vacuumed everyday. It has a small pool as well, including a sauna and gym facilities. Albeit these facilities are small in size.
The only thing which I did not like about the hotel was the repetitive breakfast ...they breakfast spread everyday was scrambled egg, sausages, bacon, bread with white sauce , pancakes, along with porridge. No variety at all. The restaurant Red Robins had a good alacarta menu otherwise.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stayed in this property in August 2012 when we toured the West Coast. The travel company chose this hotel because of the low price. The location is in the middle of nowhere near busy Santa Ana highway. No shops nearby and only Carl's Jr is within 10 minutes walk from the hotel.
The breakfast was terrible and inedible. The room was old and dark with many signs of wear and tear. The lobby was like cheap motel and everything in the hotel reminded me of the 90s. Stay away from this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn La Mirada, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear adikw238,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. We are sincerely sorry for the issues you had with breakfast and with the room's condition. All of our reviews are evaluated by management, and your review is no exception. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. We hope that you take the time to stop in for a visit soon to see how we have taken every comment very seriously in order to make your future stays with us as pleasant as possible.

Karen G.
Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

On arrival the computers were "down", which subsequently led to 2 hours of frustration waiting on room. Finally with a little power of reasoning a room key was given. I am concerned with the deer in headlights approach when electronics do not work. Develop and use a crash package to prevent this in the future. Positives...The room was large and spacious. The room did have a nice clean smell. The staff were very friendly and tried to buy forgiveness with freebies which at the time was not what we wanted. Negatives....Rust in the water was present upon turning on the shower, so much that you had to wait a few minutes to clear. The bed was very firm and the pillows were like sleeping on a balloon. The power switch on the tv remote did not work. Some of the plugs on the desk lamp did not work either. Location is good, and the parking lot is well lite. Stay away from parking under trees.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn La Mirada, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Gary J,

I would like to thank you for your review and apologize that your experience with our hotel did not meet your expectations. I greatly appreciate you calling out the good quality of our rooms and pool.

While I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the not so good comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we already do. We will address these points and I hope that when you return you will see the improvements that have been made.

Thank you again for your review. I hope we have the opportunity in the future to provide you with a better experience.

Regards,

Brenda J.
eMedia Coordinator
Fresno, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was our second stay at this property and it has actually improved over the last time we stayed about 2 years ago. Check is was quick and desk staff very efficient and personable. There are 3 elevators and unlike some other hotels we have stayed in, all of them work. There was always one waiting on the first floor with doors open and typically on ready to bring us down from the 5th floor. I was really impressed with the room decor. They have definitely upgraded the furniture since last time. Mattress was a bit hard but still ok. There is a heated pool and jacuzzi that always seems to go unused. Not sure why. Water in the pool is heated to the point that in can be enjoyed even if it is a little cool outside. Other pluses for this hotel is free parking, a Red Robin off the lobby, Elephant bar across the street and a Carl's Jr a block down the street. Good clean solid hotel. Only negative is that the air conditioning units are very loud when they kick on, but its rather cool in the evenings so we slept with the window open.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn La Mirada? Share your experiences!