“Went based on other reviews--no lie--great” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 187 Restaurants in La Mesa
San Diego
“Went based on other reviews--no lie--great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Went based on other reviews. Loved this place-very local. Mix of classic American and Mexican dishes. Awesome 'real' service, the kind you get from long tome servers/ owners--not min wage, just passing through, types. Why would anyone go to the chains (Denny's, CoCos)? We called to see how busy they were on Mother's Day and they said they would hold a table for us! Try that a Swamis!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Yuma
“WE WILL GO BACK”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

04/15/13
N 32 45.300
W 117 02.742

On our way back to Yuma,Az. We stopped in La Mesa,Ca. At Shirleys Kitchen for breakfest. What a find. Its a little neighbor cafe where they know the names of most of the people that come in. It is nice and clean, the price is right and the service is GOOD. The food had such good flavor that we stuck our heads in the kitchen and told the cook how great it was.

I know we will go back the next time were in town and I think you should give it a try.

Cap & Virginia

• Visited April 2013
San Diego, California
“Great comfort food and outstanding breakfasts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I had another comfort food attack this morning. I was driving around doing a bunch of errands before we set off on a major 27 day cruise from San Diego to England. By chance I drove down a bit of a sketchy stretch of University Avenue in East San Diego just beyond 70th when I spied Shirley’s Kitchen. I had come across the diner on Yelp when I was researching restaurants in the area and remember it getting very good reviews. So I did a u-turn and parked on the street because the lot was full – a good sign.

The place has strictly old-style mom and pop décor and maybe a dozen tables in all with a few outside as well. But it was clean and comfortable. The place was almost full at 11:30 am and as soon as I walked in the door the waiter greeted me and told me to sit where ever I wanted. The menu was extensive with a focus on breakfast and comfort food with all of the standards including, biscuits and gravy, chicken fried steak, pot pies and meatloaf. The breakfast list was impressive with a lot of imaginative omelets.

The waiter suggested the taco omelet with hash browns and two pancakes. And, although I wasn’t planning to have breakfast it sounded good. And it was a very good suggestion and decision. The omelet was world class, cooked perfectly filled with a large quantity of very well cooked hamburger that had been camelized, giving it a lot of flavor. There was cheese and a lovely ranchero red sauce inside and out. And it was large. I didn’t think I could even come close to finishing it but I did and ate the tasty golden and crisp hash browns and half the fluffy pancakes. The whole thing came out to about $11 including a large Coke.

Everyone looked like there were enjoying their meals, the couple next to me had a machaca omelet and pork chops and eggs. The waiter was prompt and friendly, the food was hot and not greasy at all. I will be back to Shirley’s again as soon as I get back from our five week trip – I’ll need an all-American food fix by then.

• Visited April 2013
Pine Mountain, Georgia
“Best Breakfast in San Diego”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Shirley's is a homestyle diner with some of the best food we had during in a week's visit to San Diego. It has an enthusiastic local following, and now we know why. We came in for breakfast on a weekday, and were immediately greeted and seated by a friendly waiter as if we were family. The menu is diverse - everything from chicken fried steak and eggs, eggs Bendict, huge omelets of all descriptions, biscuits and gravy, classic american breakfasts, and buttermilk pancakes. I ordered a special that day, a taco omelet which was made with 3 eggs, spiced taco meat, onions, peppers, cheese, sliced avocado, and covered with a delicious ranchera sauce. When I declined the hash browns and toast or biscuits offered with the omelet, our waiter offered to bring me sliced fresh fruit instead at no extra charge - and it was tasty and beautiful! The coffee was very good and the staff could not have been more attentive - neither our water glasses nor our coffee cups were ever left empty. We had breakfast in 4 or 5 highly recommended places during our stay -- and not one of them could top Shirley's for friendliness and excellent food.

• Visited August 2012
Columbia, MO USA
“Great Breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Good prices, great service and the food was excellent.

Visited June 2012