“Surprisingly Good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa to your Saves list
Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8000 Parkway Dr., La Mesa, CA 91942 (Formerly Comfort Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 10 hotels in La Mesa
Portland, Oregon
“Surprisingly Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We live on the road, traveling for work, and mostly stay in Holiday Inns all over the world. When we arrived at this hotel, it seemed like just another hotel; indeed, the extremely slow breakfast service the first 3 mornings when we needed to go to work supported that view.
On the second day we were here, the main elevator near our room went out, and we had to hike the length of the hotel and back to get to the lobby/our room. That part was a bummer, but we were assured they were working on repairing it, and to be fair, at least there was another one we could use, hike or not.
The staff had such a great attitude about the elevator outage, posting funny signs to the rear elevator, putting out water and snacks to reward for the long walk, etc. The staff at the desk were beyond nice and helpful and they are planning a free Happy Hour for guests to celebrate the elevator 'healing'.
While the restaurant speed in the morning was previously abysmal, today it was very prompt, so the jury's still out on that part, but there is no faulting the hotel staff, nor the friendliness of the restaurant staff, either, they just need to remember that even though a lot of their guests are here for vacation, some of us still have timelines for work in the area.
In short, I would highly recommend this hotel, if only for the chance to interact with such friendly staff. The rooms are normal, American rooms, clean, large, accommodating and I never take a bath in a hotel anyway, so the walk-in shower was welcome.
Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: It seems a quiet hotel except for maids starting at 8 am, if you are trying to sleep in, probably no...
Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Greg W, Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review. I do apologize again for the issues with the elevator. Thank you for being so understanding during this time. I hope to see you again on your next visit to San Diego.

Greg Williams
Hotel Manager

159 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Irvine, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We recently were unfortunate enough to book this hotel while looking for a place to stay on our once a year week long vacation. Upon arriving at our room the room smelt like mold. I informed the front desk then had to run to the store while my family waited for maintenance to come check it out. I called my wife while I was out who had not seen or heard from anyone after at least 30 minutes. I called the hotel to find out what was happening. I was informed by the general manager that they had to wait for their engineer who was going to run to the hardware store to get some powder to sprinkle on the floor then vacuum it up. I told him I didn't feel comfortable with his plan as I have bad allergies. He told me he was sorry but he couldn't move us. I called their corporate guest relations who contacted the general manager and miraculously he was able to move us. After we were moved I took my daughter to the pool in hopes of enjoying some time in the spa (hot tub/ whirlpool same thing holiday inn staff...look it up) but it was filled in with concrete (see yelp for photos) I contacted the front desk who told me to try the pool I told them that their website indicated that they had a spa, they were no help at all. I again called their corporate line and was told they were sorry and that management would be contacting me to see how they could make it up to us. After not hearing from the hotel management for a couple days I called and spoke with Joshua at the front desk who tried to tell me a spa is not a hot tub eventually he offered to use the holiday expresses spa down the street but i had to talk to gary the general manger. Joshua said theyve let people use their spa when they were having issues and vise versa. The next day I spoke with Gary who was being very facetious and said even though their website indicated that they had a spa he couldn't do anything to make up for it. Gary said that I could not use the holiday inn expresses spa and he would never let anyone from there use his spa. i have recordings i made on my phone while talking to him where he admitted the spa was on the website and he was being very weezly about it. I called corporate again and was instructed to talk with the hotel management about the issues I was having because since I was onsite the hotel managent would be the best ones to help me. I told them not to contact the hotel because I was trying to enjoy my time off and didnt have time to deal with it and gary wasn't going to help. Also while I was at the hotel I was instructed twice to park in the red zone because there was no parking, I have that conversation recorded as well. After I checked out of the hotel I called the igh corporate guest relations and was given a fair amount of points on my igh rewards card. I informed them that the hotel is also instructing people to park in the red zones putting everyone in the hotel at risk of death if an emergency were to take place. I have no idea how this hotel is rated a 3 star hotel on so many sites. There is only one bathtub in the whole hotel, pool is tiny, concrete patch of spa is very ugly, there was a German cockroach in the fitness center (check yelp for photos, these are the kind that infest), narrow parking spaces if you can find one, and the staff has no concern for their guest well being. If you are unfortunate enough to stay in this hotel do not take managements word for anything, if you have a compliant call the corporate line until you are happy with the outcome.

Gary may reply to this that he sent up milk and cookies for my daughter after we moved rooms but that was after I called corporate and they had him move us. Until then he didn't care that my daughter was going to stay in a moldy room. Also after we moved the door to our first room remained open with the AC on while they tried to mask the smell of the room.

• Stayed July 2013
Greg W, Regional General Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Mr. Ohara;

I am sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay, even after the several attempts by Greg- Hotel Manager- to ensure that you were satisfied. Greg spoke with you throughout your stay and your responses were always positive, even during the two situations that you brought to his attention.

I am delighted that between the hotel and IHG that we were able to satisfy your concerns with additional IHG Rewards points.
Santa Clara, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We chose this area for our 4th of July vacation (stay (july 3-6) because we found out that this location offered free parking and it was convenient to the trolley when we wanted to go to downtown San Diego. Aside from this, we were not happy with the amenities that were lacking in this hotel.

First, we rely on having a fitness area in the hotel so that we can workout without having to drive to a local gym. Came to find out, that it was closed for renovations. This was not listed on the Holiday Inn website. The front desk staff did not go out of their way to provide an alternative solution for our fitness need until we pleaded our case with the front desk staff. That is when that they reluctantly decided to make arrangements with a local fitness place for free 3 day admission. This should have been given without any hesitation.

We did take advantage of the restaurant for breakfast on our checkout day--Saturday, July 6. The service staff was average at best. We waited over 10 minutes to be seated. When we finally got seated, it was in a dirty booth. We also had to request for menus. The waitress was less than helpful as she hardly came by our table to ask if we needed anything else.

There were some good things about the Hotel. The standard 2 queen guest rooms here are bigger than those of most other hotels. There is more than enough walking space in the room. However we noticed in the bathroom that the tiles were cracked Not aesthetically pleasing.

Overall, the hotel was average at best. Nothing to write home about.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Gary C, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear that we did not live up to your expectations. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to talk about your stay in more detail.

Whittier, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

There for a week for a softball tournament. The gym consisted of 2 treadmills & 2 cycles in a very small room. Bathroom with no tub. The restaurant service was terrible. We asked several times for food we never got, the pancakes were hard and we had to find the waitress to get the bill. In addition The pool was extremely small. We won't return.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear that your stay did not live up to your standards. Our newly renovated fitness area has the latest state of the art fitness machines with individual tv's as well as usb ports for your smart phone and tablet needs and is compliant with IHG standards.

If you would like to discuss your stay and will give us a chance to win your business back, please contact me directly.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

The rooms were decent and there is a little restaurant associated with the hotel for easy meals, but the pool is deceptively small. I can't say it was a great value because we went during 4th of July weekend, so we paid much more than the other review I saw where they got $50/nt. (but we did get $10/person vouchers for lunch at the restaurant). Staff was very nice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Gary C, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to see that we were only able to get three stars out of five during your stay. Obviously our goal is to ensure everyone has a perfect stay but we fell short with you.

As you may find cheaper rates in the off season, it is very difficult to find a $50 rate anywhere in San Diego in the summer. If you happen to compare our rates with hotels from downtown San Diego, then you may be able to see the value at our hotel.

Again, thank you for your review and we hope to see you on your next trip to San Diego.

Foothill Ranch, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were in San Diego for the 4th of July weekend and gave this hotel a try. Because it was rated by most websites as a 3.5 Star Hotel we expected certain amenities. The pool was extremely small and the pool heater was broken, there was no jacuzzi/spa. You could tell there used to be one, but it's been filled in with concrete. There's a sort of comical concrete circle by the pool and the tiles around it still say 'depth 3 feet' indicating how big the spa used to be when they still had one.

The fitness center is literally 2 treadmills and one other cardio machine, rooms were clean but on the smaller side and we had two rooms, neither had a bathtub which was an issue with little kids traveling. Maybe some of the rooms do have one but neither of ours did. Overall I'd rate this 2.5 stars because of the small unheated pool, no spa, smaller rooms and lack of overall amenities. I think we'd have been about equally well off at a Days Inn, Ramada, or nicer Motel 6 with a pool or something like that. Staff was fine and location was freeway close.

Dear Valued Guest,

I am sorry that we were not able to get a better rating from you. You will be happy to learn that we just received out new Life Fitness gym equipment yesterday so our fitness center is now better than ever. We now have 4 new machines, all with individual TV's and i-pod/i-pad adaptors.

Unfortunately, due to state regualtions, we did have to fill in our spa. This was done right before the beginning of summer so to make sure we could leave the pool open for our guests, we decided to push back renovating the entire pool area, hense the concrete circle.

Hopefully you give us a chance next summer to see all the positive changes we will be making over the course of the next year.

Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Our first impression were the two desk clerks...awesome...friendly accomodating and could actually give us answers when we asked. Wish I could remember their names. Room was clean and big...beds were cozy and I was actually able to wash the shampoo outta my hair in the shower for once....oh and the fridge was actually cold! All around a fabulous experience and a great value in SD. So pleasantly surprised..we had cancelled somewhere else...so glad! We will be back!

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! Hearing great comments like yours make my job worthwhile! I will go back to find out who was working the desk when you checked in to make sure they are acknowledged for their hard work.

Thanks again and hope to see you back soon!

Gary Comeaux

Been to Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa? Share your experiences!