“Pretty Good” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
San Diego, California
“Pretty Good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2010

Had dinner last night at the restaurant. Reservations are definitely a good idea if you are going during prime time (Friday night, 7pm). Place was full (a good sign). Service was a little slow, but not bad. Wait staff was working very hard to keep up. Would be better is they had just a few more employees, but it wasn't bad. Waiter earned a 15% tip.

We went using a Groupon certificate so it was a good deal. Paid $15 for the Groupon (got $35 worth of food). Spent an additional $15 out of pocket, so our total dinner cost including tip was @ $42 (15+15+tax+tip). For that, we each had an entree, a glass of wine and we shared a salad.

The pre-dinner bread was very good. They provide olive oil and a vinaigrette which was great. The only thing that they could improve upon would be to serve the oil/vinaigrette as separate items (in case you only want to dip one flavor for your bread). They combine the 2 on one plate as a presentation technique. The red vinaigrette floats as an island in the olive oil.

Salads run in the $7 range and the Caesar salad was very good. Main course items we got were the Lasagna and the Fettucini Alfredo with Chicken. Lasagna was good as was the Fettucini Alfredo. Nothing outstanding - but good. The Fettucini Alfredo had a slight off taste compared to what I am used to but it may have been just a regional recipe. It certainly wasn't bad, just a little different from what I am used to. Entree's generally run in the $12-$24 range and the menu has a wide variety including evening specials that tend to run in the higher range of dinner selections ($17 and above). We asked for a red wine recommendation for the lasagna and the waiter provided us with a good recommendation. The recommendation did come from the more expensive (Italian) evening specials selection ($9 a glass) so if you want a recommendation of a domestic red (or white), just be sure to specify. Typical domestic wine-by-the-glass prices run in the $5-$7 range.

Overall, the meal was pretty good for the price we paid ($42 with the Groupon). Not great, but very good. Without the Groupon, our cost would have been @ $62 and I don't think I would be a return customer at that price. At @ $62, it's a "fair" price/value but not a "great" price/value. At @ $42 with the Groupon, I'm more comfortable with that. We do have another Groupon so we will return at least one more time, but probably try a different menu selection for comparison purposes.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Rouen, France
“Best Italian in the San Diego area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

When we want to esat Italian, Trattoria Tiramisu is the place we choose. The atmosphere is not as cosy as could be a real Italian restaurant in Europe, but in the US, it's already a lot. Waiters and the owner are really nice, all of Italian origin, and the food is really good. The cocktails are worth trying, and not too expensive as compared to other establishments. They propose a nice variety of appetizers, and the pasta selection is excellent. Food quantity is maybe a little bit too much, and sauces are pretty heavy (but delicious!). Thus, be carefull, ordering an appetizer + an entree leaves no room for dessert. Which is too bad, since their tiramisu is absolutely perfect.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
chula vista
“great food,service and ambiance a definit must try!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

My wife and I frequent this restaurant and think is time to tell you a bit about our favorite place, The food is always great, wether you are having a pasta, fresh fish or even a piece of meat, they have a full bar with all the super premium brands and a nice wine list and as far as the service is concerned it is always great,
The owners are always there making sure the service is top notch and everyone leaves happy. All and all a great place.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
La Mesa,Ca
“Great Food - good service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2009

Having been to Tiramisu many times I decided it was time to let everyone know about this exceptional East County Resturant. Service is always very good and the food is great. Some Italian resturants are heavy tasting with no imagination and some are predictable which is good if you have small children. The food is fresh and many of the maet and fish dishes may be cooked different ways. If you live in East County San Diego give it a try and avoid the problems of Downtown San Diego. It truely is the only Italian resturant in East County

El Cajon
“I Defend Tiramisu!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

I have read the reviews already listed and I have no explanation for the negative tone. My wife, daughter and I have eaten several times at Tiramisu (lunch) and we we have nothing but compliments for the friendly service AND great food. My daughter worked for many years in the restaurant business here in the San Diego and I respect her knowledge and judgement in this area. Her position: Tiramisu is great! I am sorry that some people had a negative experience, but the reality is that every business has an off day and maybe the other reviewers just hit a bad day. We look forward to visting Tiramisu in the near future.