“My restaurant of choice in La Mesa” 4 of 5 stars

(619) 465-1935
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Brigantine La Mesa is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 170 Restaurants in La Mesa
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Severin Drive
Cairo, Egypt
“My restaurant of choice in La Mesa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I always look forward to the opportunity to visit this restaurant. Staff are very pleasant and efficient.

Since we had tickets to Les Miserables by the CYT group on Mt. Helix, we opted to dine first at the Brigantine. We were not disappointed. It was a pleasant evening and we were ushered to one of the patio areas off the foyer. Our waiter, Rodrigo, was a professional; quick, courteous, johnny on the spot but not obtrusive.

He took our drinks order while we perused the menu and we were ready to order our dinners by the time he delivered. We ordered two appetizers and I ordered the large prime rib. It was done a little more than what I prefer but it was still excellent. And it was large enough that I shared it with my ravenous son-in-law, who ate his meal, part of my daughter's meal and then part of mine. So the food is good!

We ordered a bottle of Erath Pinot Noir from Dundee, OR in the Willamette Valley - probably the best Pinot Noir growing area in the world. It was as expected. Yummy!

The bill came to $240 dollars for the four of us, and I added a $48 tip for Rodrigo. So not particularly inexpensive but you can save $67 without the booze - basically a $43 dinner for each without the tip. So it is good value.

I recommend the Brigantine for a pleasant dining experience.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

San Diego, California
“brigantine”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Food is average at best. Noise level is very high. Best bet is ordering from bar menu but again the noise level is really really high.

Visited June 2014
La Mesa, California, United States
“One of La Mesa's best Happy Hour restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

If you're looking for a good happy hour experience, try the Brig in La Mesa. From one of San Diego's best fish tacos to a tasty clam chowder, the Brigantine has a variety of small bites during happy hour. A good selection of tap beers, wines, and of course any mixed cocktail you can dream up. Taco Tuesdays (Tacos for $2), Thursdays, and Friday evenings are the busiest nights.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Corona, California
“Good Food,Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I have been here a few times with 'clients' to discuss business over dinner. We always get a booth and that tends to be best for discussions. It is a lively crowd over the dinner hour and appears that HH is alive and well! The seafood has always been fresh and nicely prepared. Service is prompt and courteous.

Visited March 2014
San Diego, California
“An outstanding seafood and steak dinner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

We received a gift card from my daughter who couldn't believe that we had lived here our entire lives and had never been to the Brigantine...after this outing, we will make it a regular stop for sure!

Apparently it is a restaurant that is old school in clientele (at least in the dining room) and on the weekends it is very, very busy...do NOT venture out that way if you don't make a reservation, that is a must do.

Parking lot is a bit tricky to negotiate and seems incredibly crowded so maybe come to eat before or after the dinner rush?

So onto the food....outstanding and on point...semi expensive but it seemed well worth it. They have daily specials or "early bird" type of dinners but we weren't paying so we wanted to eat something crazy good and we weren't disappointed.

We started with six oysters on the half shell...I forgot what the official name was but they were meaty and briny fresh. My husband had a shrimp cocktail which was presented on a plate, so semi deconstructed, but delicious!

The bread basket had fresh, hot bread but as usual, no one ever gives you enough butter :o) Our server was named Candy and she was pretty damn good. Not annoying, stopped whenever we looked like we needed something and was helpful from beginning to end.

My husband ended up choosing the rib eye steak, grilled to rare perfection and topped with some sort of butter that my husband called "crack butter." The baked potato was good but that meat was something to write home about for sure.

I had the best part of the meal in my humble opinion....I had the deep fried, soft shell blue crab with french fries. The fries were yummy but the crab was simply INCREDIBLE!! Crispy, not greasy, crunchy and tasty, I could've seriously eaten four more!!

The restaurant is dark, so bring a flashlight or use your phone...it looks very clean and it was super loud but I'm okay with that...it just means your children (and yes, people had their screaming kids with them) isn't too bad especially if you aren't sitting right by them.

All in all, an excellent meal in a cool, laid back venue...we'll be back!

• Visited March 2014