“Wonderful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Lodge at Torrey Pines

Save Saved
You added The Lodge at Torrey Pines to your Saves list
The Lodge at Torrey Pines
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   11480 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92037   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 24 hotels in La Jolla
Houston, Texas
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

I do not understand the previous reviewer because I found the Lodge to be wonderful. The service was excellent. They kept the room spotless. It was quiet and relaxing. We did not eat in the restaurants so I have no comment on them. The hot tub was relaxing and the over all experience was one of quiet leisure. I would highly recommend this hotel for a beautiful relaxing vacation.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

577 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Angus
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

We paid the "paltry" sum of $430 for one night's stay in the cheapest (ie worst) room they sell. It was dated, dark and dismal. When you could find staff, they were largely pre-occupied, offhand, and on occasion non-responsive. Valet parking was an outrageous $27 given the amount of space and land at the lodge's disposal.

The primary reason we stopped here was to play golf, and the experience of playing the South course at Torrey Pines was excellent, though again, very expensive - everything costs 'extra'. Well worth doing nonetheless.

Being vegetarians we found neither restaurant able, or indeed willing, to make something not containing meat - despite the fact we were residents. In anybody's book that's just plain rude. Instead we took a taxi ($20 each way) into La Jolla and ate at a lovely Italian restaurant there.

When you consider the excellent US Grant in the heart of San Diego (where we stayed for the previous 5 nights) is a 20 minute drive away there is no need to stay in this overpriced seat of snobbery. Stay in the US Grant instead - a superior room is half the price of this place.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2009

We stayed just one night at this property and had a good experience. As a luxury property, the Lodge was understated, which reflects appropriately for the Craftsman style architecture. However, if you are looking for more refined elegance in appearance, you won't find it here.

The room was large and had a nice balcony with a view of their "botanical gardens" but since we were right next to the entrance, it wasn't very serene with the comings and goings of cars. We were on the fourth floor and had an awkward way of getting from our room (next to stairwell) down to the lobby and pool area. We actually had to exit the building and re-enter because the internal staircase stopped for some odd reason on the third floor. Very bizarre and the elevator was on the opposite end, so it was a bit inconvenient.

The pool was perfect. Great temperature and had large "reef steps" on both ends to lounge on. The attendant retrieved pool noodles and kick boards for my son and there was attentive pool service for drinks and food. The whirlpool was very small, but I was able to watch a beautiful sunset from there and it wasn't crowded during our stay, so I can't complain too much. They also had these cute little lounge chairs for children, so it's very family friendly. An outdoor shower with hot water completed a nice pool area.

We ate dinner at the Grill and had great service and food. The next day, we had lunch on the ARV patio, and it was just beautiful there. Service wasn't as good as the Grill, but it was fine.

A word of advice: if you want to save money, don't bother with an ocean view because you can't even see but a sliver of it. Your view is primarily the golf course with a view of the ocean on the horizon. We were very lucky to get our room for an incredible price for the value, but I would not be happy to shell out hundreds more for a "view" room. Also, you may want to ask about a late check-out. We asked for one and were granted a check out of 2:00! We were very appreciative because most hotels/resorts will grant a later check out (if possible) no later than 1:00. So, I give high points for their willingness to give us that extra hour to enjoy ourselves.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

From arrival I noticed a lack of employees around. As I walked in I overheard cursing from what I could only assume was a supervisor to an employee. Checking into the room was a pain to say the least, the people at the front desk were rude and slow.

The room was dark, the tv had at least 3 non operating channels. My internet connection was non existent. The jacuzzi was luke warm and I would have been better off getting in the tub in the room and blowing bubbles through a straw. And to top it all off Having dinner at A.R.V. gave me diarrhea. STAY AWAY!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Pittsford, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

We just returned from our trip to La Jolla and stayed 7 nights at The Lodge at Torrey Pines..... where do I begin?
We were looking for a higher end hotel that had large rooms to accomodate a family of 5, a serene atmosphere for relaxation and beautiful views. Well, we found it all at The Lodge. To begin, the staff was super friendly and very accomodating. The room was huge and the bathroom was also a very generous size - we never felt we were in tight quarters with 5 people in the room and space was not at all an issue. I believe the rooms are a bit over 500 sq.ft. We had 3 kids with us ages 7,6 and 4 and the hotel was very kid friendly. We went to the beach at the reserve and they gave us 3 boogie boards to take with us plus some beach toys for the kids. If you go to the reserve, tell them before you get in your car and they will supply you with bottled water. Our trip to the reserve was outstanding -we did not hike the trails because of the kids but the drive down to the beach is picturesque and the beach area is beautiful with the cliffs behind it. I highly reccommend it.
Back to the hotel - The views of the ocean and golf course are stunning -the grounds are pristine, there are always fresh flowers in the foyer and in the bathrooms of the hotel rooms. The rooms are very clean and fresh smelling. The bathroom is done in marble with marble floors. We ate at The Grill alot - they have a kids menu and some outstanding food! Things are definately pricey (a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice $5.00) but well worth it. Just a hint, there is complementary coffee right through the doors of A.R. Valentin restauraunt off to the right next to the bar -get there early because it goes fast! Another mention is that the waiters at The Grill were so nice - they always remembered us and asked us what activities we had planned for the day-then the next time we would see them, they would remember what we did and ask how we enjoyed ourselves.
If you bring kids, there was an activity coordinator that had things planned for different times of the day (like, arts and crafts, water balloon toss, ping pong, etc). They also set up croquet and bocce in the court yard overlooking the beautiful scenery - we would play bocce while the sun was setting -so beautiful. The Lodge is a bit up the way from the hustle bustle of the village shops but a fairly easy drive - traffic is terrible so if you are travelling 4 or 5 miles, plan on a solid 25 minutes (no kidding!).
I highly reccommend The birch aquarium (kids loved it) and Sea World. Also, my husband and son went on the Midway - definately more of a boys thing. We were all planning to go but my daughter was ill so I stayed at my brother's house with my other daughter and mom while the boys went - ended up, it probably all worked out for the best.
Our vacation was spectacular and if I had to rate The Lodge on a scale of 1 - 10 we give it a 20!!! There was nothing left undone - it is 5 star all the way and we will definately be back!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Olympia WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

Do not stay here if you are sensitive to smoke. I am very sensitive, although I've never had fireplaces bother me. However, there are two fireplaces in the lobby of this hotel and there is an ash-like smell from them that goes through the whole hotel area and into the rooms. It really bothered me, and worse, when I tried to discuss it with them, they seemed offended.

It's a shame because it's a beautiful hotel and most of the staff were great, but I would really caution you against staying here if you've ever had a problem with asthma or sensitivity to smoke.

Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

I love this hotel. It has a very mountain lodge-y feel and look, yet also totally Californian. We stayed here in January, during a cold spell, and were lucky enough to make use of the fireplace in the room, while also sitting on the deck enjoying the stunning ocean view from the room. The golf course is world famous, but here's a more private tip: Get the burger at A.R. Valentien , the hotel's restaurant. To this day, still the best burger I have ever had!
Stay here!

• Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple

Been to The Lodge at Torrey Pines? Share your experiences!