“Relaxing, serene beauty, from another age” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Lodge at Torrey Pines

You added The Lodge at Torrey Pines to your Saves list
The Lodge at Torrey Pines
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   11480 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92037   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
10% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Bay Area, California
“Relaxing, serene beauty, from another age”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

The art deco & Tiffany lamps that adorn the rooms & darkly wood paneled lobby areas reflect a museum-level quality that is so relaxing that it becomes difficult to leave the hotel surroundings--which would be a mistake with the Torrey Pines state park a short walk away, with its majestic views of the ocean and hills. Pricey, yes, but with priceless and also timeless beauty.

Room Tip: Even rooms without a view are treasures
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Every single member of staff made us feel right at home and so special. They accommodated our needs in the best possible way, they were amazing.
The hotel is beautiful and clean. Rooms are so nice and so well kept.
I would definitely stay here again!

Stayed March 2015
Ridley Park, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

When I arrived at The Lodge at Torrey Pines, I knew I had made the perfect choice for my customer appreciation event. Thirty of our top clients from across the US travelled to The Lodge for four days of meetings, networking and leisure activities. They were blown away by this beautiful property, stunning views, comfortable accommodations and great food. But, what really stood out was the service. Every single person with whom I and my guests came in contact with not only provided flawless service, but actually demonstrated that they loved their job and appreciated the opportunity to be a part of our experience. My sales representative truly went over the top to make sure that every day we spent at The Lodge was perfect. As someone who plans many events, I can tell you that this was the best experience I've had and I would highly recommend The Lodge at Torrey Pines to anyone looking for a way to impress their guests. By the way...my husband joined me for a few extra days on the back end of my trip and we couldn't have been happier. Everything was wonderful and we can't wait to return. A big THANK YOU to everyone at The Lodge at Torrey Pines.

Room Tip: I loved the Pallisades room because it is spacious and homelike. It has a fireplace, a large bath, a...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We stayed here for a special Birthday of mine. The Lodge, built to pay homage to early 1900's California Craftsman style of architecture is spectacular. The rooms are cozy, comfortable, and clean. I was a bit disappointed that we did not receive a room upgrade, as we booked the American Express package which includes one if available. We checked in early and said we could wait until an upgrade was available (especially since it was my Birthday)...still no upgrade. Although I had booked months before and requested a high floor, our room was located on the second floor, overlooking an inner corridor. Also, we could not get our toilet to stop running off and on all night.

The first night we ate at A.R. Valentien (the resorts fine dining restaurant). Our food, drinks, service, and table on the patio with an ocean view, were all phenomenal!

The next day we played the south course and found it both challenging and breathtaking. The rough is as difficult to play in as you have heard. The spectacular ocean view from the course helped take my mind off my golf score. I loved it and I hope to play it again some day!

That night we ate at the Grill for dinner. A very different experience from A.R. Valentien. The view we had at our outdoor patio table was the only good thing about our meal. The Grill claims an award for the best burgers in the area, so two member in our party ordered them. They were very unhappy with their burgers and wished they had eaten at In & Out instead. My meal was served 30 minutes after the rest of the table had finished eating...I am still not clear as to why? I ordered fish, which was so bad it should have been sent back. The waiter took my plate which was uneaten without comment or inquiry. Our drinks were watered down and terrible. I wish we had returned to A.R. instead of trying the Grill...our bill was close in price.

The following day we played the North course which had the same beautiful ocean views on the front nine as the South course. There is not much to look at on the back nine but it was in excellent condition and a great value compared to playing the South course.

We had breakfast room service both days. We found it to be inconsistent. The first day we had a fantastic breakfast and the second day it was awful...cook dependent?

Overall, our stay was a real treat and I would return. I would recommend a room in a better location than we had and eating only at A.R. Valentien (or driving into town for dinner).

Side note - Although both restaurants were told at the time of reservation that it was my Birthday and again when we arrived, it was not acknowledged in any way.

Room Tip: A high floor with an ocean view is best!
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Scarsdale, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I've had the privilege of staying at some of the best hotels around the world; The Lodge has secured a place in my mind as amongst the best there is every way. Extraordinary attention to detail was clearly invested in building and decorating, attentive and helpful staff that seem to have an uncanny ability to anticipate your needs, fabulous dining, all the rooms are great, I recommend you spring for the golf course/pacific view for amazing sunsets - highly recommend The Lodge, you will not be disappointed

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, but I recommend you spring for the golf course/pacific view for amazing sun...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Shepherdstown, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Several years ago, we stopped at The Lodge at Torrey Pines while visiting San Diego for a conference. We vowed to return and stay before the next meeting.

We visited March 2015 and enjoyed the large standard room, plus slippers, robes and best toiletries provided. Our balcony with seating made it possible to enjoy the California weather while West Virginia experienced a Climate Change snow fall of 8"! Because of bad weather, our flight from Dulles (IAD) was delayed for hours; therefore, we arrived after both restaurant and bar were closed.

We dined the following morning on the terrace, enjoyed an inventive menu, and heard history of Torrey Pines' trees that were here long before the famous golf course. Still slightly chilly for sunbathing in the glorious pool, we strolled the grounds, and went into town for La Jolla's famed Cove and Seafood restaurants overlooking the Pacific.

We headed into San Diego for our conference, but ventured back one night for dinner. That's when the staff truly impressed. Hearing that we took a wrong turn in the dark on our return trip, the Sommelier offered us a complementary glass of superb California wine, to ease our stress and prepare us for a delicious dining experience. Our wait staff was attentive and professional, and food was exceptional!

The Gift Shop Manager really impressed me when I attempted to exchange a pair of their nice ladies' bath slippers that were too big. Not having any in stock, he searched Housekeeping after his shift ended, to find the perfect pair for me! Imagine my delight when he presented my gift bag at our dinner table.

That level of Customer Service, with stylish, ample rooms, beautiful grounds, great food and bar service, plus a tournament-worthy golf course, makes this the perfect getaway! We will return!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Glen Head, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Stayed here again as a last minute visit to San Diego. Staying here for just 1 night this time convinced me that I will never stay anywhere else in the San Diego area other than the Lodge at Torrey Pines! The staff was again so wonderful and several remembered me from my prior stay. The lodge has beautiful grounds, great restaurant options, very comfortable rooms and beds. The service to their guests is unsurpassed. The "bell hop" who brought our luggage to the room was very informative about the history of the Resort and went over every detail in the room. Breakfast in the AR Valentine served the "best eggs" I ever had. Not sure how eggs could taste so good but they were fresh and so delicious. Silly sounding I know but everyone at the table agreed! Only wish I had time to test out the spa! Maybe next time. We will be back. Thank you to the staff for another wonderful stay.

Room Tip: any room is great.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family

Been to The Lodge at Torrey Pines? Share your experiences!