“Beautiful location and property!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Lodge at Torrey Pines

Save Saved
You added The Lodge at Torrey Pines to your Saves list
The Lodge at Torrey Pines
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   11480 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92037   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Seattle, Washington
“Beautiful location and property!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I recently stayed at the Lodge with my family while in San Diego. It is a beautiful hotel with incredible grounds and the service was excellent with a lot of attention to details. We weren't sure how the Lodge would be for families but we were pleasantly surprised...it is centrally located for activities in the area and my children loved the pool, and the little touches like the kid-sized chairs and robes.

Room Tip: The Palisade rooms that face west are worth the additional expense in my opinion because of the view...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Had a great stay here for my recent anniversary. Mentioned when making reservations that we were celebrating our anniversary and they delivered champagne and chocolate covered strawberries to our room shortly after our arrival. The only negative experience is that they really don't seem to allow early check in. I called first thing in the morning to say we were going to be there before the 4pm check in. They checked the computer told me my room number and said that it was vacant and that shouldn't be a problem. When I arrived at 3 the room wasn't ready. They had to call me on my cell phone when it was ready. At 3:45 we got a call it was ready and it was the same room number as he told me on the phone that morning. That was the only negative on the trip and when we got late checkout on our final day it made up for the annoying check in. The room is more of a rustic feel. We had a garden view and it was pine trees and very pretty. The hotel vibe is very relaxed. The rooms were clean beds were okay. There were only 2 pillows on a large King bed which I thought was odd, but they did bring up extras shortly after I called. The hotel was not crowded at all another interesting thing when I asked if we could get a view room and they were "sold out". Restaurant was amazing. It is a little pricier but I felt totally worth it. We were completely taken care of and everything we tried was delicious. This was a perfect spot for a weekend. It was very relaxing and I felt very pampered.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The Lodge at Torrey Pines is one of our favorite places for atmosphere, food, and lodging. It is a unique craftsman hotel featuring beautiful woodwork throughout situated in a setting with magnificent towering Torrey Pines. We only live 30 miles away, but use it for an escape from reality!

The staff is well trained to please, from the valet, bellman, front desk, housekeeping, server in the bar or restaurant to the maintenance staff – all are extremely polite and courteous. The management has done an excellent job creating a warm, friendly environment!

The rooms are beautifully appointed with amazing attention to detail. Many rooms have balconies, some have golf course with the ocean in the background (with fireplaces); others have a beautiful view of the inner courtyard with towering Torrey Pines. The beautiful wood craftsmanship throughout the hotel is exquisite! This is not a hotel, but a Lodge as the name implies.

The Torrey Pine Reserve is a wonderful place to hike. You can leave directly from the hotel by walking on the street past the golf course and start at the top, or you can drive to the state park and walk one of the loops which include the beach.

Chef Jeff Jackson, if not the most creative and highly respected chef in San Diego, is certainly one of the best. In addition to the normal AR Valentine menu, on Thursday nights they offer the Artisan’s Table with family style serving. Since the restaurant is “farm-to-table”, the menu for the evening is not defined until 5pm depending on what is available. On occasion, they offer multi-course wine dinners on Thursday nights. These are exceptional and are hosted by either the owner or winemaker.

We had the most incredible dinner in the AR Valentine on our last visit. Everything was over the top (food, service, & wine). My wife had the smoked pork loin (which she loves) and I had the Veal Tenderloin which was on the fixed price menu. I certainly hope the Veal Tenderloin becomes a permanent item on the menu since it was absolutely amazing and I would order it every time. The server (Eddie) was on top of everything. They also have an excellent wine list with an on-site sommelier. We had the Robert Craig Affinity 2011 which is a wonderful wine.

And the “Drugstore Burger” available in the bar and at lunch (not on the menu) is incredible.

This is a wonderful place to spend an evening, a night, or as long as you can!!!

David P.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Garden City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My very best friend had his wedding reception at the The Lodge at Torrey Pines and from the moment we arrived in the circle with our cars until the moment we left we were surrounded by warm, professional staff members that just could not do enough to be sure our stay was perfect.

Room Tip: There were many of us staying at the lodge. The newly weds had a amazing suite with three fireplaces...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Hemet, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I never dreamed getting a discounted rate of 275.00/total 324.00 on The Lodge at Torrey Pines Website would mean giving up quality and that is what happened. We were put in a room that was only average and not connected with rest of hotel. The view on their website described Botanical Garden View and I included a picture which I also sent to the hotel manager of our view. Again I assumed for the rates they charge that every room at this hotel would be quality and have quality views. Next time I return to San Diego it will be the Hilton on the Bay or Hilton Gaslight district which I have stayed at and loved.

Room Tip: Lot's of jets flying over even after 9 PM
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I occasionally have the pleasure of staying at The Lodge at Torrey Pines and I have to say it is my very favorite hotel in the world. The hotel staff is incredibly friendly and hospitable. The rooms are
well appointed and spacious. I love every meal I have ever eaten at AR Valentine which have been many. Thank you for always welcoming me back and making me feel as though I am a special guest.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Yorba Linda, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

We were at the Lodge for a conference, allowing one of us to play golf on the legendary course while the other enjoyed the spa. The lodge is beautifully decorated with rich woods, fresh flowers and enormous rooms. It is truly luxurious and the service was excellent throughout. Wonderful for a weekend getaway.

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Lodge at Torrey Pines? Share your experiences!