“Amazing resort 5 Star service and kid friendly” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Lodge at Torrey Pines

You added The Lodge at Torrey Pines to your Saves list
The Lodge at Torrey Pines
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   11480 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92037   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Chicago, Illinois
“Amazing resort 5 Star service and kid friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

I was hesitant about taking a family vacation at a golf resort, and I was pleasantly surprised by how welcoming the staff was to my kids and how they went out of their way to accommodate every need that we had. It is a very family friendly resort, with exemplary service at every end. Natalie, the concierge was extremely helpful and proactive in offering services and recommendations for us. From car service to Del Mar to providing toys for our children to use at the beach, the service was top rate! Our room did not have an amazing view, but was extremely spacious and had a very comfortable bed. The food and service at A.R. Valentien was equally amazing. For an elegant getaway, The Lodge at Torrey Pines is a great choice.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Malone, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Our six day stay was a first class experience! Our room was spacious, bed very comfy and the large balcony was an added bonus overlooking the golf course. From the moment we walked in, we were greeted by friendly staff who were genuinely interested in making our stay a positive experience. We got up early to walk and even the groundskeepers greeted us with a smile! We travel often and I would say that the staff at Torrey Pines were among the best ever-especially in the Grill restaurant. We were here for a conference and when we had a medical emergency with one of our participants, the front staff acted quickly and with great sensitivity to our needs. If I have one suggestion, it would be to offer an option of smaller portions of food in the Grill-food was fabulous but just too much (and I love to eat!)! We enjoyed our experience so much that we plan a return trip with our adult children in the near future!

Room Tip: You definitely want a room in the main lodge overlooking the golf course to enjoy the sunsets and if...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Arcadia, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Came for a weekend getaway and for some running and hiking at Torrey Pines State Park which was in walking distance so we didn't have to fight the crowd for parking. The hotel is very well maintained nice small touches that made the stay special. I was surprised to see the dated wall paper in the bathroom. Over all a great week end and we will definitely come back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Lovely in every way. The staff is outstanding, well-trained and welcoming. Fabulous views from large room with equally spacious veranda. Tranquil setting, good food, next to the golf course. Beds could use new mattresses though, but would return anyway!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
memphis, tn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for three nights. My overall favorite thing about this resort was the view from our room! 18th hole on Torrey Pines Golf Course and the Pacific Ocean! Simply beautiful! My second overall favorite was the housekeeping services! I'm sure that probably sounds strange! This staff was definitely on point! It took a significant amount of time for them to clean your room but it was well worth the wait if you happened to be waiting. They provided fresh linen not once but twice a day, during your morning service and at turndown. At turndown, slippers were placed on mats on both sides of the bed. Mats were also rearranged in the bathrooms at turndown service as well. We did try a few activities at the resort so I will discuss each one individually.

Spa- I had the Spa at Torrey Pines Signature Ritual which was a 140 minute service that included a lemongrass and sage body scrub underneath a Vichy shower, then a warming soak in the hydrotherapy tub with lemongrass and sage bath salts, followed by a full body massage. I truly enjoyed this service. It was very calming and relaxing. Would I pay $295 for this again? I'm really not quite sure. Usually when I pay this amount of money, I can spend the whole day in the spa while my husband is playing golf. This was not the case here. The relaxation lounge is rather small and was really not relaxing. Not a place where I could spend the day reading a book and drinking a glass of wine. You could also see the technician performing other services through a glass panel from this area as well. The spa did not have a hot tub, pool, or Jacuzzi inside either. They did have an inhalation room ( which was very nice), a steam room and a dry sauna.

Restaurants - We ate at A R Valentien upon our first night of arrival. The food was very good. We shared the lamb meatball appetizer. I had sea bass and my husband had a pork loin dish. All were extremely delicious. Our dessert left a little to be desired. We had the bourbon pecan pie. The crust was too hard to my liking and the filling was a little hard as well. The best part was the bourbon glaze. Appetizer, two entrees, two glasses of wine, and dessert totaled $141.00 with tip.
We also ate breakfast at the Grill restaurant everyday. I am not a big waffle or pancake fan but they had the best waffles and pancakes. I even had the waffles twice. My husband said that the omelets were great as well. Please note that you do have to go outside of the hotel and walk to the grill for a meal. It's not a long walk though and the scenery is beautiful. AR Valentien is inside of the hotel but only serves breakfast on weekends.

Golf - Well, what can I say! It's Torrey Pines!!! Husband played north course and loved it! Upon checkout I did notice that the Pro Shop charged us for the South Course instead of the North Course. The receptionist at the lodge called the pro shop and it was quickly corrected.

Overall- a beautiful place!

Room Tip: Loved the view from room 515! Ocean and 18th hole!
Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed 3 nights at The Lodge at Torrey Pines in early March. Room 523 was practically perfect in every way (wink at Mary Poppins). The room was spotless, the bathroom was great, and the view was stunning. The adequate balcony looks over the 18th green of the South Course, with views continuing to the Pacific.
Enough about the property. The staff are the real jewel of this hotel. Nick took our luggage to the room, and gave us a succinct overview of the hotel. He was well trained. Nathalie was the Concierge on duty when we arrived. She was Awesome! She made wonderful recommendations for our stay, and she was right about every one of them. She remembered our names. Lots of smiles and greetings from all staff. Outstanding training and outstanding people.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Once again we enjoyed the lodge very much. Our room was a golf course view room which I would recommend highly. Room is very comfortable and the porch is great for reading. The look and feel is so comfortable. I especially love the light fixtures in the main entry. The staff are really helpful. I hope we get a chance to return! Also, had a fabulous facial at the spa!

Room Tip: I recommend upstairs golf course room with porch. A little more expensive but worth it.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Lodge at Torrey Pines? Share your experiences!