“Fantastic!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Lodge at Torrey Pines

Save Saved
You added The Lodge at Torrey Pines to your Saves list
The Lodge at Torrey Pines
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   11480 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92037   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 23 hotels in La Jolla
Denver, Colorado, United States
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

We absolutely loved our stay at the Lodge. What a beautiful resort, just an outstanding property. There really wasn't a single thing we were unhappy with. The staff was very friendly an accommodating, from the front desk, to the gift shop. The concierge was helpful in finding us a place to eat on Thanksgiving day. A gentleman by the pool noticed my son was cold and went out of his way to get a towel to wrap him up in, then offered us waters after our hike to the beach. The bellman offered us waters after I asked directions to the entrance to the beach hike. The Grill was amazing and affordable. Everything truly was above and beyond, we've stayed in many nice hotels, but this one was comparable to the service we've gotten on the SilverSea cruises we've been on. Top notch! THANK YOU!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

551 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Linden, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

I spent 6 days and 5 nights at the lodge with my family. It was absolutely beautiful, the grounds are amazing and San Diego is now on our favorite places to visit. The front desk was extremely helpful and professional. The concierge desk was a huge help at guiding us for things to do and restaurants to eat. We love to travel, we have 2 girls 8&4...they were in love with San Diego as much as my husband and I. Looking forward to our next trip to San Diego.

• Stayed November 2013
Cheshire, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stayed at the Lodge at Torrey Pines in early October, 2013, on a recommendation from a friend, on our way to a wedding in San Diego.. What a great escape ! From the beautiful ocean views, the option to play Torrey Pines golf course, the dining experience at both the main restaurant and "The Grill", to the incredible service from everyone, especially the sommelier, was an experience that should not be missed. My wife loved the spa, while I was playing golf. A well deserved 5 star rating !
Gary D

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Marin County, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Spent the weekend at this beautiful hotel for a quick get-away. Chose the hotel because of its proximity to Torrey Pines State Beach - I love staying places where I can walk out the door and wander for miles, be it in nature or around a city. I was pretty much gobsmacked when we walked in because the beautiful pictures don't do justice to this place. Fine craftsmanship throughout the property. Exquisite and friendly service. Relaxing and rejuvenating.

I splurged on a palisades king ocean view and it was fabulous. However when I looked at the garden that the less-expensive garden view rooms offered, it would be a fine choice as well: the landscape reflects numerous native species of grasses and trees, it would be a lovely thing to have outside one's window.

I chose The Lodge (rather than the much less expensive adjacent Hilton) because of stunning design of the hotel and because the restaurant A.R. Valentien (i.e., not The Grill, which serves conventionally grown food) offers farm-to-table organic food: including breakfast - that is hard to find! The food at A.R. Valentien was wonderful and worth the extra money compared to The Grill. And the breakfast was divine - there is nothing a Hilton could do to even touch the quality of the food here.

I am glad I chose to stay at the Lodge, I would return here in a heartbeat.

P.S. The hotel is under the flight path of the morning air maneuvers from the nearby AFB: occasionally we were treated to F-19s flying overhead on their way out. Even though I cherish peace and quiet I was THRILLED to see these incredible planes! It was not constant, it was in-frequent enough to remain an exciting novelty.

The hike to the beach was great: beautiful wind-carved sandstone and lovely native plants. I read a review complaining about "having to drive to the beach", but people without mobility issues can easily walk there and back.

Room Tip: I splurged on a palisades king ocean view and it was fabulous. However when I looked at the garden t...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Anaheim Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

The Lodge at Torrey Pine in La Jolla is a beautiful hotel located almost on the cliffs over looking the Pacific Ocean. From the ocean facing rooms or the bar or restaurant you can see the famous Torrey Pines golf course and the ocean. The rooms are comfortable and well appointed. The food is great and the staff could not be nicer.

Room Tip: Based on price we get a garden facing room on the 5th floor. It is great,
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

We (my family of three) attended a meeting held at the Lodge at Torrey Pines in late September of 2013. The property is stunningly beautiful. The rooms are large with all the comforts of home. The only complaint about the rooms was that they were very dark even during the day. Maybe this was because our rooms were on the backside of the Lodge. We also had no cellular service for our iPhones in our rooms. This was a bit of an issue but not a real serious problem. Any time I needed to make a call I just went to the pool or bar area. The food was very good. I actually think it was better for the events connected with the meeting than it was in the main restaurant. The service at the resort was awesome. Everyone was very professional. We did not golf but some of the people attending the meeting did and had an enjoyable experience. We had an opportunity to take in the near State Nature Reserve where we watched the surfers early one morning.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Hermosa Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Got married here and come back every year for our anniversary. Its an amazing place and you won't be disappointed. Also, the drug store burger from the snack bar is the best burger you'll ever have! Also check out the main bar with the fireplace, a great way to spend a fall afternoon.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Lodge at Torrey Pines? Share your experiences!