“Unique Setting Among Rare Pines” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Lodge at Torrey Pines

Save Saved
You added The Lodge at Torrey Pines to your Saves list
The Lodge at Torrey Pines
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   11480 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92037   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Tehachapi, California, United States
“Unique Setting Among Rare Pines”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

First off it is this is a gorgeous property. The setting, the attention to detail, the service are all world class. The restaurants offer an interesting array of choices. The only downside is my husband is handicapped and it was very difficult for him to negotiate the long distances between our room and the lobby and restaurants.

Room Tip: If you want an ocean view make sure you so state when booking room.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Johnstown, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights in early October. We had a Palisade King room, 4th floor, facing the golf course and the ocean. It was right above the croquet green, which does double duty for outdoor weddings or dinners. I attended a nearby meeting. That was the main purpose of our stay in La Jolla.

The view was beautiful. We had a balcony. It looked out onto the Torrey Pines golf course (a public course, not directly affiliated with the hotel). Just beyond that, there is the ocean. There are said to be beautiful sunsets. But, while we were there, we were unlucky. There was cloud cover over the ocean each night that muted the color. But, the whole place overall is beautiful and scenic.

The room was striking. It consisted of rich wood and somewhat dark accent colors. With the outside light from golf course and ocean side entering the room, it did not seem excessively dark. The bathroom is gorgeous with a nice walk-in shower and separate tub. This came as no surprise. It is an AAA 5 diamond rated hotel. Everything is beautiful and first class.

We are not golfers, but I am sure that most people who travel to this hotel come, at least in part, for that purpose. There are a number of hiking and walking trails on the nearby Torrey Pines State Reserve for the non-golfers. You can walk down to the ocean on a number of different trails. The terrain is interesting. It is rugged with scrub brush in many places. You also have some of the red colored clay that adds color, especially in the late evening sun. But, you also have the trees, including the unique Torrey Pine, for which the place is named. So, it has some foliage that is desert like, but also enough greenery so that it does not look barren. Hiking the trails was very fun. There are some beautiful vistas overlooking the ocean and the bluffs to the north and south of the park.

We ate a few times at The Grill. That is their more casual restaurant. The food was really good, especially the “Drugstore hamburger.” You gotta try that if you like burgers. The high end restaurant, A.R. Valentien, is said to be excellent, but we did not try it on this trip.

The hotel has its own parking garage. You can valet for $27 per night, or self-park for $22. We did valet service the first night, then self-parked the rest of the time. The garage is small enough that it is easy and close to just walk there, and very easy to go in and out at will. All of the staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful.

The location of the hotel is very peaceful. Although the road on which it lies, North Torrey Pines Road, is fairly busy, we never heard road noise at all. I am not sure if that is the case for rooms closer to the road. Facing the ocean, it was always quiet and peaceful. It is a beautiful place. Of course, you pay up for a AAA 5 diamond level place. But, it makes for a memorable and scenic place to stay.

Room Tip: Go for a Palisade King room if you can afford it. The view is worth paying up for.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Stayed here for three nights as part of a small executive retreat. We were treated exceptionally well. The event staff were very responsive, both before we arrived at the property, and while at the property. We booked Hughes Cottage for our meetings, and it is a truly delightful spot for a small group. The food (we did one dinner, 2 breakfasts and 2 lunches) was exceptional. The dinner, which we had family style was a true highlight. The catering team was very accommodating with time changes, leaving breakfast coffee and pastries for the morning, menu changes etc. Staff were very responsive, and there always seemed to be staff around - which is unusual given our group size was less than 10 (not usually the size group that gets much attention from most properties). Ignore previous reviewers that have commented negatively about price and meeting staff. This property is typically priced for what it does and the level it is at. I would rate the quality of the event staff well above the competition.

Accommodations were lovely - I had an ocean side room on the 5th floor (and would highly recommend both). The room was spacious and comfortable with everything I needed - and quite large. I'm typing this while having breakfast on my deck overlooking the golf course and the ocean - quite magic.

Do make sure you walk/run through the adjacent state park. The views are simply stunning and the trails well marked and easy. Staff are quick to help you find the route that will suit your time/stamina and were very welcoming when we returned with water.

Two minor downsides - the Lodge is clearly an "in demand" wedding venue, so a large part of the property was turned over to weddings on both weekend days. Not overly disruptive, but walking to the pool in swimsuit and flip flops past a gorgeous wedding feels awkward. Additionally, the bbqs being used for the wedding today are so smokey that my eyes are burning. Not sure that the bbqs needed to be located on the Lodge side of the lawn?? Only other minor downside was that when I had my patio door open, and the neighbours were on their patio- I could hear every word of their conversation. Again, not a huge issue, but somehow reduced the privacy feel.

Regardless, a top notch destination. Would highly recommend for events, and adult oriented stays.

Room Tip: Definitely book an ocean/golf course side room, and the view is best from the 5th floor. I stayed in...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

A quick getaway weekend for our anniversary turned out to be the most relaxing weekend we have enjoyed in recent memory. The staff was attentive without being intrusive and were consistently going above and beyond our expectations. They provided maps for our excursions and excellent recommendations of things to do. Don't miss hiking the Torrey Pines State Reserve. It's within walking distance! We could not have asked for a better weekend. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: Definitely spring for an golf view/ocean view room. Remember, you are situated some 200 feet above...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Farmingdale, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

My wife and I spent two nights at the lodge and it was an experience I will never soon forget. I am a golfer and the fact that I just had to walk out the back and start playing golf was fantastic as was the golf courses. You cannot believe the spectacular views on the golf courses. The views were so great I couldn't concentrate on my game. The staff at the lodge were also great, extremely helpful, courteous and eager to please. I would not hesitate to return to this lodge.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the ocean.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We spent 2 days of our vacation at this historic, mystical property. No detail has been left unattended, from the smell of a smoking wood fireplace at the entry to the music playing underwater in the pool - your sight, smell, touch and more will all be tickled when staying at this property. We enjoyed the lush foliage on the property, the sprawling ocean views, detailed architecture, amazing golf and flawless food.

Our standard room with two queen beds was of average size with a pine tree view was perfect for 2 days but might have been tight quarters for a week. It is a historic old hotel so there are your fair share of timber creaking and old elevators shifting about but nothing that was bothersome. It just added to the character of the place overall.

The crowd was a nice mix of families, couples and hard core golfers during our stay. We felt taken care of at every turn from the wonderfully helpful staff although you should be sure to make dinner reservations, even at the casual grill, if you plan on eating anytime between 4pm-10pm. Seating is limited and many people come to the property at night just to dine and enjoy the atmosphere from the surrounding areas. And make it a point to try the famous "Drugstore Burger" at some point during your stay - it lives up to all the hype!!

Experience the unbelievable views and a unique property at least once when you're in the area. It's worth a piece of the vacation budget!!

Room Tip: The hallways twist and turn so if you don't like stairs or walking too far, ask for a room close...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Spent the weekend of 9/20- 9/22 at the Lodge for our company retreat. This is the 4th year that I have planned this (La Quinta, Ojai Valley Inn and Spa, and The Grand Del Mar) and I must say that we had a wonderful. This review will be from the perspective of hosting a group event here. If you want just the summary...It is advertised as a 5 diamonds resort...I would not go as far as that. It is indeed a fantastic resort but not in the same level as The Grand Del Mar or Montage...more like Park Hyatt Aviara or Ojai Valley Inn.
Service: This definitely sets the true 5 diamonds apart from the other. The Lodge was great, just not FANTASTIC. Moira was our group event coordinator and she was great in following up and making the adjustments. I just didn't feel that she went out of her way to cater to our "event". For example, we almost went over our original number of contracted rooms. Typically, I thought the hotel would be happy and want more guests (inc revenue, inc F&B)...however she said that she wouldn't have enough rooms and would have to put us in another category room...no problem, but she would charge us the difference...c'mon, we will be spending $40,000 plus overall, couldn't you just give it to us at the standard rate??? Another minor issue...We had originally booked a connecting room...you would think they would have made that the priority since I was coordinating this group event...however, upon checkin in, they told me the best they could do was adjacent rooms...I said no way...so they looked further and found connecting rooms (WTH?) but it would be another 1-2 hr wait (at 3pm). I asked if their was a hospitality room that my family could use. They said "No" but we could change in the spa facility...Not what I expected... Their spa coordinator (Alli and Cheri) were fantastic. I couldn't tell you the number of times I had to add or change the spa reservations...they were great. Other services were also good. Including the captain for all of our events. They made sure everything was in order.
Location: Good. Right on the Torrey Pines golf course...I think this really enhances the resort and makes it more appealing. Being next to the main street wasn't a problem. There is a mall about 3 miles away. Great beach view, just not access. Also loved seeing the paragliders throughout the afternoon.
Hotel/rooms: The hotel itself still had a relatively new feel. Did not seem run down and is well cared for. Some might find its design fascinating. The lobby isn't the grandest, but had a really nice view of the ocean and golf course. The hotel itself is reportedly family friendly, however, base on the design and clientele, I probably would not bring my kids here. It is not really set up for kids and is really lacking in their amenities and the design of the hotel. There is no kids club. No kiddie pool. There is a croquet lawn that the kids can run around in...but other than that, nothing really else. The rooms itself was nicely decorated. It is a good size. But to my knowledge, non of the rooms had couches that pulled out (another neg for family friendly). The room had nice bathroom amenities, but not over the top. Wifi was complimentary but spotty. We did not have a view but did have a patio. 1 Fiji bottle of water was comp as was the daily paper. Beds were nice. My biggest issue with the room was the lighting. I like the room bright and I just couldn't achieve it with the lamps there. Maybe that was part of their decorating plan.
Pool/Facility: There is one large pool that ranged from 3-5 feet. The kids enjoyed it even though the weather was on the cooler side. IT was mildly heated. My biggest issue with the pool was that there is a large overhanging pine tree that made the pool pretty dirty by late afternoon. There were cabanas available on a first come first serve basis. Pool service seemed pretty fast. Another point to make about the non kid friendly status of this resort was the location of the jacuzzi. It was located quite far (elevated set up) from the pool and was pretty isolated. It was really nice (seats 7) and have a fantastic view of the golf course. This was perfect for adults to utilize, but not really for kids. The grounds were nicely kept and beautiful. But other than that, there was really not much else.
Restaurants: We had a nice dinner at the Grill. Make sure you make reservations and specify booth or not. The place can get packed around 6pm due to the golfers coming off the course. The outdoor patio did not have heaters so go prepared. The Lodge had one lounge as part of their restaurant. It offered both indoor and outdoor terrace seating. Nice place to hang out (we spent both nights out late on the terrace) and grab a drink. I was a tad disappointed that there was no nightly music entertainment on the weekend. I would have also liked it if they had a fire pit or something to hang out at. The service was good at the Lounge and they had a decent selection of high end liquor. I wasn't impressed with the banquet menu. Our lunch (sandwiches) were not really good. Our dinner buffet (we ordered the most expensive package) was decent. But nothing to rave home about.
Spa: Per the wife (spa expert) it was good. Nothing compared to (once again) the Montage or The Grand. The fitness room looked decent.
Golf: Although not technically part of the resort, it was great to have it right there. You do have to pay a hefty fee to book a group reservation in advance (but at least you have that option). YOu can bill F&B you get on the course to your room. Nothing like playing the South Course.

All in all, I think the golf course really markets for this lodge. Its nice to say that we stayed at Torrey Pines and played the 2008 US Open Course...I would definitely return, but most likely without kids. The whole resort has a prestigious feel and I thought my kids took it down a notch (so I apologize to the other guests..). Overall, we definitely did have a good time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Lodge at Torrey Pines? Share your experiences!