“LaJolla Luxury” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Lodge at Torrey Pines

Save Saved
You added The Lodge at Torrey Pines to your Saves list
The Lodge at Torrey Pines
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   11480 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92037   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 23 hotels in La Jolla
Merrick
“LaJolla Luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Lodge in mid July. The accommodations were lovely, the grounds beautifully maintained. We ate at the outdoor grill for breakfast and lunch. We enjoyed delicious meals and wonderful service. For example, during lunch, my daughter was feeling chilly. As she prepared to return to the room for a sweater ,our waiter ( who had overheard our conversation), returned with a warm spa towel for her to wrap herself in! So thoughtful!
We stayed in a garden view double room. The room was very spacious and beautifully appointed. I agree with other reviewers that it is not a "beachy" atmosphere, but the "woodsy lodge" atmosphere was warm, welcoming, and well done.
Each and every staff member was accommodating and friendly.
While at the Lodge don't miss the gliderport, and Torrey Pines state park.
La Jolla is definitely the most beautiful part of San Diego, and the Lodge at Torrey Pines is a wonderful retreat in this jewel of a city.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

559 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I love the San Diego area and have stayed at many places in the area over the years, but it was a business event that finally brought me to The Lodge at Torrey Pines: what a special place! The service was precise, but relaxed. The decor was consistent and classic, without feeling "dated." The rooms were spacious with a well-apointed bathroom. I appreciated the complimentary bottle of water and WiFi as well as the turn-down service and overnight shoeshine. My only complaint was the relatively poor lighting in the room, but clearly there was a reason for this: one should take advantage of the outside while staying here! The setting is amazing, with spectacular views at every turn. I wish my golf game was up for the course, but enjoyed just watching golfers tee off as I had breakfast. Definitely worth a return trip for a get-away weekend.

Room Tip: Stay ocean/course side if you can afford it.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
n.ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Friendly staff and old world charm from polished resort. Excellent location overlooking golf course, sea and right next door to State park. Nice pool area. Lots of lovely touches you would expect in top end resort.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

The Lodge at Torrey Pines is located very close to the Torrey Pines state reserve (10 minutes walk). Its surroundings are beautiful, with the golf courses overlooking the sea.
We stayed in a double queen room. The room is big, well furnished, nice bed and linens. There was a balcony but unfortunately the door was jammed.
We had breakfast at the Grill and it was great. I had the pancakes with blueberry and granola and it was huge!
Staff was very nice and polite, specially at the reception and front desk.
I thought that it was overpriced for what they offered. But all in all, it was a good experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the golf courses and the ocean.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

From the moment I stepped onto the property until the moment I left, the staff was so attentive, the service so fantastic and the ambiance so amazing, I was blown away. The room was incredible, with a view of the golf course - the ocean in the offing. The staff is remarkable in their determination to make your stay flawless. Room service was excellent.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Bromley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in May for my birthday. The room was fantastic really spotlessly clean and the bathroom was super. The room overlooked the golf course and the pool. We had room service as I have mobility issues, the choice was extensive- the omelette especially delicious. I also had some spa treatments while my husband had a golf lesson with the pro. On the evening of my birthday we dined in the restaurant A.R.Valentin where we agreed the starter was possibly the best we had ever tasted. We really loved it here and hope to return same time next year.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Kildeer, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I view this as a above average priced golf course hotel. Nothing about our stay would I consider above average. From the service to the accommodations, we were provided a room, bed and average food. From the moment I checked in, the service seemed scripted. At the reception desk, I was asked to initial a number of forms on a computer screen indicating I understood the conditions of my stay. Very impersonal way to start a visit. When we went to our room, the patio door was off the hinge. Asked the valet about it and he said he would send someone to fix it. Never fixed. The room was average for the price and as stated before, nothing exceptional. We had one lunch at the hotel restaurant and as stated before, was average at best. Had a very limited menu. Overall, nothing terrible to say, but nothing that stands out for the price.

Overall, if you like Craftsman design, you'll enjoy this resort. I had no idea it built only 10 years ago. Feels much older. We've stayed at Kohler's America Club which is similar in price and the difference is night and day. Obviously far different locations, but I think the resort could do more for the price.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Lodge at Torrey Pines? Share your experiences!