“Exceptional service, excellent accomodations” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Lodge at Torrey Pines

You added The Lodge at Torrey Pines to your Saves list
The Lodge at Torrey Pines
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   11480 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92037   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
Up to 10% off Room Rates
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
“Exceptional service, excellent accomodations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Stayed here with family for 4 nights. Beautiful resort with excellent amenities and I don't play golf. Room service was very good too. Kids and I enjoyed playing on the lawn and shooting pool in the library. The only thing I would have changed was the "June gloom" (it was cloudy, dreary and cold everyday until noon) but I'll have to take that up with the Big Guy upstairs.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Even if you don't golf, this is a great place to stay. There are two restaurants on site, one more casual, but both with great menus. The food is excellent and beer is from local breweries. I had a BLT sandwich with avocado that was amazing, and the onsite pastry chef does profiteroles and home-made cakes that are superb. The lodge is about 10 minutes from La Jolla by car, and more like 25 minutes from San Diego, so you will need a car if you want to see the sights outside of the lodge, and taxis can take as much as 15 minutes so let the concierge know ahead of time. I had one treatment at the spa, which was excellent. Room rates are good for a luxury accommodation, which this is, and the beds very comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony. Rooms overlook a courtyard or the golf course.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

After reading the rave reviews of this property, I was really looking forward to our stay.

The service is as stellar as reported, with the entire staff extremely friendly and accommodating.
The lobby of the resort was very nice, with a "lodgy" look and a fire at all times.

But we found the rooms to be dreary. Although it is nice that the hotel is set back in the greenery, the decor of the rooms needed updating in our opinion, and the rooms were very dark.
It might have been partly due to the cloudy weather at the time, but it was also just the way the rooms were. The resort was so large and rambling, that you would have to walk for a long time in very dark halls to get around, and it didn't seem to be particularly occupied, giving it an even gloomier feel.

The pool area was nice enough, but certainly not up to five star standards, which is the level many gave to this hotel. I don't think this is a five-star property.

Also, to charge $27 for parking ($5 less for self parking) at this high price when there was clearly plenty available seemed mercenary.

All that being said, we are not into golf and maybe that is what matters. Had I read a review like this on TA, I would have stayed elsewhere, somewhere brighter.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

We had rooms at the nearby Hyatt, but when we saw the Lodge firsthand, we changed our plans. What a wonderful place in a spectacular location. The staff was spectacular, and there is nothing better than being able to roll out of bed and onto Torrey Pines. I wouldn't hesitate to return!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

My pleasure and How may I assist you were 2 phrases my husband and I heard through out our stay@ Torrey Pines This is a wonderful property every staff member speaks to you and they are so accommodating and prompt no matter how trivial the request.
We have stayed at many expensive properties and have never felt the enjoyment and pleasure like Torrey Pines.

Room Tip: •"Corner suites are large and sunny"
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

The Lodge at Torrey Pines is one of the most comfortable and inviting hotels I've ever been lucky enough to stay in. Not only is it beautiful and spacious, the staff is lovely and so friendly. The rooms are gorgeous and yet very homey. We ate in The Grill at breakfast each day. The food was yummy and I don't know why you'd go any place else.
We stayed in a garden view room. You can tell there has been a drought because they are losing some of the pines, but sitting on the patio each morning with my coffee was still a highlight of my day. I think if I had been in an ocean view room, I might never have left.
Really,it is all the hundreds of little touches that make The Lodge so special. Unfortunately, we left there to stay in an equally expensive, but not near so luxurious hotel in Mission Bay. Wish we had stayed put and driven into San Diego each day. Oh well.
My husband was also able to play both golf courses while we were there. I rode along and the photo ops are fantastic. Do yourself a favor and play the South course for the scenery if nothing else.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the lodge for three nights and had a wonderful time. The hotel and its grounds are beautifully situated on the coast. The service at the front desk and in hotel restaurants was top notch. The room was very spacious and clean. We ate breakfast at the hotel and although pricey, was very delicious. Would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Lodge at Torrey Pines? Share your experiences!