“Major disappointment” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Lodge at Torrey Pines

Save Saved
You added The Lodge at Torrey Pines to your Saves list
The Lodge at Torrey Pines
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   11480 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92037   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Somers, New York
“Major disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

We had stayed at the lodge last year and had enjoyed it enough to return while on our resent trip to San Diego. This years stay was a very different experience. Our room which was on the second floor facing the courtyard was like a cave. It was so dark that you could not be in the room without all of the lights on. Our room was at the end of a hallway near the spa and the elevators so there was constant noise outside. But most annoying was the constant drone of the elevator machines running almost nonstop from 5AM until midnight. The machine rooms for the elevators are located on the lower level adjacent to the elevators, avoid rooms in this area at all costs. The elevators if functioning properly would be noisy but I am in the elevator business and these units are so poorly setup and maintained that no one should be asked to stay in a room near these machines. The staff at the hotel where extremely pleasant and helpful except when it came to golf related activities. I had requested to book a tee time which last year was not a problem. This year I was directed to the director of golf. After numerous unanswered calls to the director of golf I decided to walk over to to golf shop and book a tee time directly. To my surprise the golf shop staff does not manage golf they are only there to sell merchandise. For a tee time you need to go outsider to negotiate with the starter. This is about as much fun as it would be at any public facility. For the price of our room at the lodge I expect access to the golf course without having to negotiate my own deal. For these reasons we stayed only one night before checking out and moving to the Hilton next door. Much better room at roughly half the price.

Stayed April 2013
Traveling CA, General Manager at The Lodge at Torrey Pines, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for providing feedback on your recent visit with us. Please accept my apologies that you were disturbed by noise outside of your guestroom. Our guests’ comfort is very important to us and I’m sorry that your experience did not measure up to your expectations. I have shared your comments with our Director of Maintenance to evaluate our elevator operation with our existing contractor to determine if there are any challenges that require addressing to ensure your experience is not repeated.

The Lodge has its own Golf Services Department to manage golf reservations for our guests at Torrey Pines Golf Course as well as a number of other golf courses in San Diego County. It appears from your comments regarding merchandise that you were dealing directly with Torrey Pines golf shop. Unfortunately the Torrey Pines Golf Shop is a leased operation of the City of San Diego and not part of The Lodge at Torrey Pines. I’m sorry that your interactions with them were less than positive on the day you arrived there. Normally, we would prefer to handle those arrangements for our guests in advance of your visit with our Golf Services Department here at The Lodge at Torrey Pines.

Please contact me personally to discuss these issues further. I would hope that we could leave you with better memories of The Lodge.

Yours sincerely,

Dan Fullen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We switched from another hotel when I ran across this hotel online. Spent 3 nights with wife and kids. The hotel is everything and more than you see in the photos. It is maintained like it was a historic treasure. The staff is beyond excellent, the views are amazing, and the food first rate. Not only would I stay here again, I would come to La Jolla just to stay at this hotel. Be sure to eat at the new grill (great for the family) and take a dip in the hot tub. Great gift shop as well.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the ocean view. Worth every penny. Make reservations even for the grill. It gets busy.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
River Forest, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Father & Son three day stay created lasting memories. The Lodge complimenents the Torrey Pines golf experience without being overbearing. We prefer the Lodge over the big chain resorts. Service was outstanding as demonstrated by the the fact that every request or question was followed by an immediate response. The Grill, next to the pro shop has the best burgers in the San Diego area . Coffee and pastries/muffins in lobby or shop would be helpful for guests up early and on the go.

Room Tip: Lodge has many room offerings and prices, book in advance to ensure room of your liking.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Marin County, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed at the lodge for the weekend of a wedding (3 nights). The service is incomparable: attentive, striving to please and accommodate, friendly, informative, and obviously happy in their work and happy in their welcome of guests. The room was spacious and clean, quiet and restful. The grounds were immaculate, the pool was a delight in spite of the cool-ish weather, and the walking paths on the grounds and beyond at the state park led to some of the coast's most elegant views.
Lunch at the main dining room, served on the patio looking out over the pool and on to the ocean, was spectacular. Perfect portions, flavorful, and served by the most attentive wait staff.
The dinner following the wedding was astoundingly good, particularly considering the number of guests. The plates were warm, the food was fresh and hot and tasty, and the servers very attentive.
The Lodge is the sterling example of what the hospitality of an inn should be. Hats off to the staff and the facility!

Room Tip: rooms and suites on the west side afford beautiful ocean views and are worth the extra price.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Glendale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My family had an opportunity to stay here for a couple of nights after a day at Legoland. What a great hotel! It is more of an adults hotel, but they do have kids menus and they were warmly welcomed. We had a nice room overlooking the 18th green, nice sunny weather, etc. We ate at their signature restaurant and their grill. The fancy restaurant was quite good and the grill was OK. My 5 year old made the hike to the state park, but was pretty tired afterwards. If your kids are not very active, I would not opt for this adventure. If they are, it is a pretty fun hike to the beach. I asked them to tone it down a little in the pool as it is more of a serene setting. I would have to say that this is the hotel you want to stay at in the SD area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Fairbanks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 4 days and it was simply the best hotel I that I have ever had the opportunity to stay at. Every staff member was exceptionally helpful, they always took the time to show me where the amenities were located rather than simply telling me to wander off in a general direction like so many other resorts. The beds were extremely comfortable and the food at their restaurant was excellent. They have so many amenities some are almost hidden. My friend and I found out that they have a billiard table in a remote "library" room. I think we were the only guests staying there that even knew about it. For me though what sets this resort apart from others is the amazing staff, every single one of them was focused on making my stay as great as it could be.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are great. The resort is large so if you are staying awhile or if you have childre...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed here for one night with 2 children in early April. Our kids are 2 1/2 and 6 months and we would not have booked this hotel but for another tripadvisor review that reported that kids are welcome. That reviewer is correct. While this is not a kid friendly hotel in that its Craftsman design and golf centric location are not for kids, and it has a little bit of a Gentleman's Club atmosphere, the staff are kind and friendly and the pool is huge, heated and perfect for kids. Now, we stayed on the Sunday night at the end of Spring break and it seemed as it we had the whole place to ourselves, but still. We had a good time, ate at the lounge and made the most of everything. For example, no one shoo-ed our 2 year old off the croquet lawn when she was trying it out.

The craftsman exterior and interior design is wonderful and perfectly executed. It's like staying at the Gamble House. The rooms are a little dark, but that is syonymous with the design, so we had no problem with it. It helped that we had a Palisades room with an ocean view overlooking the 18th.

We would recommend this hotel and hope to stay there again sometime.....

Room Tip: Ocean view Palisades Room a must. Interior rooms look into a courtyard which looks a little dark, an...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Lodge at Torrey Pines? Share your experiences!