“Perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Lodge at Torrey Pines

You added The Lodge at Torrey Pines to your Saves list
The Lodge at Torrey Pines
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   11480 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92037   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We switched from another hotel when I ran across this hotel online. Spent 3 nights with wife and kids. The hotel is everything and more than you see in the photos. It is maintained like it was a historic treasure. The staff is beyond excellent, the views are amazing, and the food first rate. Not only would I stay here again, I would come to La Jolla just to stay at this hotel. Be sure to eat at the new grill (great for the family) and take a dip in the hot tub. Great gift shop as well.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the ocean view. Worth every penny. Make reservations even for the grill. It gets busy.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
River Forest, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Father & Son three day stay created lasting memories. The Lodge complimenents the Torrey Pines golf experience without being overbearing. We prefer the Lodge over the big chain resorts. Service was outstanding as demonstrated by the the fact that every request or question was followed by an immediate response. The Grill, next to the pro shop has the best burgers in the San Diego area . Coffee and pastries/muffins in lobby or shop would be helpful for guests up early and on the go.

Room Tip: Lodge has many room offerings and prices, book in advance to ensure room of your liking.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Marin County, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed at the lodge for the weekend of a wedding (3 nights). The service is incomparable: attentive, striving to please and accommodate, friendly, informative, and obviously happy in their work and happy in their welcome of guests. The room was spacious and clean, quiet and restful. The grounds were immaculate, the pool was a delight in spite of the cool-ish weather, and the walking paths on the grounds and beyond at the state park led to some of the coast's most elegant views.
Lunch at the main dining room, served on the patio looking out over the pool and on to the ocean, was spectacular. Perfect portions, flavorful, and served by the most attentive wait staff.
The dinner following the wedding was astoundingly good, particularly considering the number of guests. The plates were warm, the food was fresh and hot and tasty, and the servers very attentive.
The Lodge is the sterling example of what the hospitality of an inn should be. Hats off to the staff and the facility!

Room Tip: rooms and suites on the west side afford beautiful ocean views and are worth the extra price.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Glendale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My family had an opportunity to stay here for a couple of nights after a day at Legoland. What a great hotel! It is more of an adults hotel, but they do have kids menus and they were warmly welcomed. We had a nice room overlooking the 18th green, nice sunny weather, etc. We ate at their signature restaurant and their grill. The fancy restaurant was quite good and the grill was OK. My 5 year old made the hike to the state park, but was pretty tired afterwards. If your kids are not very active, I would not opt for this adventure. If they are, it is a pretty fun hike to the beach. I asked them to tone it down a little in the pool as it is more of a serene setting. I would have to say that this is the hotel you want to stay at in the SD area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Fairbanks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 4 days and it was simply the best hotel I that I have ever had the opportunity to stay at. Every staff member was exceptionally helpful, they always took the time to show me where the amenities were located rather than simply telling me to wander off in a general direction like so many other resorts. The beds were extremely comfortable and the food at their restaurant was excellent. They have so many amenities some are almost hidden. My friend and I found out that they have a billiard table in a remote "library" room. I think we were the only guests staying there that even knew about it. For me though what sets this resort apart from others is the amazing staff, every single one of them was focused on making my stay as great as it could be.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are great. The resort is large so if you are staying awhile or if you have childre...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed here for one night with 2 children in early April. Our kids are 2 1/2 and 6 months and we would not have booked this hotel but for another tripadvisor review that reported that kids are welcome. That reviewer is correct. While this is not a kid friendly hotel in that its Craftsman design and golf centric location are not for kids, and it has a little bit of a Gentleman's Club atmosphere, the staff are kind and friendly and the pool is huge, heated and perfect for kids. Now, we stayed on the Sunday night at the end of Spring break and it seemed as it we had the whole place to ourselves, but still. We had a good time, ate at the lounge and made the most of everything. For example, no one shoo-ed our 2 year old off the croquet lawn when she was trying it out.

The craftsman exterior and interior design is wonderful and perfectly executed. It's like staying at the Gamble House. The rooms are a little dark, but that is syonymous with the design, so we had no problem with it. It helped that we had a Palisades room with an ocean view overlooking the 18th.

We would recommend this hotel and hope to stay there again sometime.....

Room Tip: Ocean view Palisades Room a must. Interior rooms look into a courtyard which looks a little dark, an...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

It was a brisk spring morning in La Jolla, California. March 21 brought an overcast sky and temperatures reaching nearly 60 degrees, but it did not deter from the beautiful coastal scenic drive I took, heading south towards the Lodge at Torrey Pines. My destination was located adjacent to the state park and hidden within a business park. I reached the entrance to the hotel and was immediately greeted by staff members dressed in traditional valet Scottish attire. I hand over my keys. I walk into the lobby. I was inspired. The hotel had a magnificent rustic yet sophisticated aesthetic. And the wood burning fireplace that crackled and popped as I went through the registration process was a warm welcome.

I was assigned room 610, a Palisade room on the ground level. Simply incredible. If you are going to pay for a stay, you might as well stay in this room category. The difference in price is worth it. I had an unobstructed view of the famous Torrey Pines golf course, a patio walk out, and enjoyed the warmth from the gas-lit fireplace after my room was just turned-down for the evening, compliments of housekeeping.

As I familiarized to these surroundings, I gained an appreciation to all the details; the craftsmanship, the maintenance, the hospitality. I am critical about the hotel, especially the guest rooms I stay in. And this one is truly the 5-star they portray themselves to be. Period.
Their ambiance -- formal. Low-key. Uber quiet. Too quiet for my taste, but it was only for a night, so I can definitely make due. Both restaurants are sophisticated and I would consider A.R Valentien’s lunch offerings are too sophisticated for most, but the cuisine was truly yumm-oh! The Lodge definately caters to the discerning traveler.

On my next short rendevous into San Diego I look forward to returning to The Lodge at Torrey Pines. Oh, and this time I will bring along a golf enthusiast who I know will appreciate it most!

Room Tip: The Palaside rooms are so different and worth the price difference.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Lodge at Torrey Pines? Share your experiences!