“The best hotel experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Lodge at Torrey Pines

Save Saved
You added The Lodge at Torrey Pines to your Saves list
The Lodge at Torrey Pines
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   11480 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92037   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Fairbanks
“The best hotel experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 4 days and it was simply the best hotel I that I have ever had the opportunity to stay at. Every staff member was exceptionally helpful, they always took the time to show me where the amenities were located rather than simply telling me to wander off in a general direction like so many other resorts. The beds were extremely comfortable and the food at their restaurant was excellent. They have so many amenities some are almost hidden. My friend and I found out that they have a billiard table in a remote "library" room. I think we were the only guests staying there that even knew about it. For me though what sets this resort apart from others is the amazing staff, every single one of them was focused on making my stay as great as it could be.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are great. The resort is large so if you are staying awhile or if you have childre...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed here for one night with 2 children in early April. Our kids are 2 1/2 and 6 months and we would not have booked this hotel but for another tripadvisor review that reported that kids are welcome. That reviewer is correct. While this is not a kid friendly hotel in that its Craftsman design and golf centric location are not for kids, and it has a little bit of a Gentleman's Club atmosphere, the staff are kind and friendly and the pool is huge, heated and perfect for kids. Now, we stayed on the Sunday night at the end of Spring break and it seemed as it we had the whole place to ourselves, but still. We had a good time, ate at the lounge and made the most of everything. For example, no one shoo-ed our 2 year old off the croquet lawn when she was trying it out.

The craftsman exterior and interior design is wonderful and perfectly executed. It's like staying at the Gamble House. The rooms are a little dark, but that is syonymous with the design, so we had no problem with it. It helped that we had a Palisades room with an ocean view overlooking the 18th.

We would recommend this hotel and hope to stay there again sometime.....

Room Tip: Ocean view Palisades Room a must. Interior rooms look into a courtyard which looks a little dark, an...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

It was a brisk spring morning in La Jolla, California. March 21 brought an overcast sky and temperatures reaching nearly 60 degrees, but it did not deter from the beautiful coastal scenic drive I took, heading south towards the Lodge at Torrey Pines. My destination was located adjacent to the state park and hidden within a business park. I reached the entrance to the hotel and was immediately greeted by staff members dressed in traditional valet Scottish attire. I hand over my keys. I walk into the lobby. I was inspired. The hotel had a magnificent rustic yet sophisticated aesthetic. And the wood burning fireplace that crackled and popped as I went through the registration process was a warm welcome.

I was assigned room 610, a Palisade room on the ground level. Simply incredible. If you are going to pay for a stay, you might as well stay in this room category. The difference in price is worth it. I had an unobstructed view of the famous Torrey Pines golf course, a patio walk out, and enjoyed the warmth from the gas-lit fireplace after my room was just turned-down for the evening, compliments of housekeeping.

As I familiarized to these surroundings, I gained an appreciation to all the details; the craftsmanship, the maintenance, the hospitality. I am critical about the hotel, especially the guest rooms I stay in. And this one is truly the 5-star they portray themselves to be. Period.
Their ambiance -- formal. Low-key. Uber quiet. Too quiet for my taste, but it was only for a night, so I can definitely make due. Both restaurants are sophisticated and I would consider A.R Valentien’s lunch offerings are too sophisticated for most, but the cuisine was truly yumm-oh! The Lodge definately caters to the discerning traveler.

On my next short rendevous into San Diego I look forward to returning to The Lodge at Torrey Pines. Oh, and this time I will bring along a golf enthusiast who I know will appreciate it most!

Room Tip: The Palaside rooms are so different and worth the price difference.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

A very nice resort type hotel. You are treated like royalty. The Lodge breathes class and aristocratic elegance. The restaurant is delightful. In the morning, while sipping a cappuccino, the views of the fog lifting over the ocean and the spell of pines is intoxicating. A world-class experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

What a wonderful place to stay. The setting is beautiful, with the lush golf course and the natural beauty of the nature reserve and beach. The staff was friendly and accommodating. Breakfast by the pool was a highlight. We loved the Arts and Crafts decor.

The only disappointment was the complimentary "tour" of the state nature reserve, which was more of an escort than a tour. Our guide barely spoke as she led us to the park and didn't offer any explanations of the area's history or add any relevant information to enhance what we were seeing. It was complimentary, of course, so you can't complain too much, but I think the lodge shouldn't bill it as a "guided tour."

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stay here when visiting my sister in law and absolutely love it! The setting is gorgeous, the staff and service is great, and the rooms are probably my favorite rooms of ANY hotel.

The rooms are cozy with wonderful beds, modern bathroom fixtures, flatscreen tv's, beautiful decor (tifany style lamp!) the whole nine yards. The Lodge doesn't overlook a single comfort for their guests.

The grounds are Stunning, obviously the golf corse is highly regarded, nice pool, romantic hot tub gazebo overlooking the golf corse, and all this is set right on a bluff over a La Jolla beach.

With all the luxuries (great food, mini bar, spa, room service ect...) the price can add up relatively quickly. This is a treat we give ourselves every once in awhile and very worth it! Highly recommend!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Stayed here for two nights recently and loved it. The bellman who escorted us to our room took time to tell us the history of the lodge, the origin of some of the artwork as well as the inspiration for the architecture and decor. The rooms are beautifully appointed with golf course views and large balconies. The staff were freindly and engaging. The restaurant was fabulous. Can't say enough about the overall experience. It was terrific.

Room Tip: Ask for golf course view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Lodge at Torrey Pines? Share your experiences!