“Weekend couples weekend” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
“Weekend couples weekend”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

We stayed in room 3 downstairs. It wasn't as bad as all that I've read in these reviews. My boyfriend booked it and had I read these reviews prior to our trip I am sure I would have persuaded him to book our stay elsewhere. There are a few minor things I wish housekeeping would have taken care of before we occupied our room though. For the price it's really not so bad.

The good: clean room, sheets and shower tile and floors. Nice welcome basket of goodies (although pricey), in room fridge. Cute bathroom although small!

The bad: the bathroom ceiling vent was hanging open by a thread. No vent fan to use. Didn't like the higher level tile floor stepping into the bathroom. The coffee pot had slimy water reservoir from previous guest who carelessly put coffee grounds in it and housekeeping overlooked this detail. I made sure to tell the front desk so room 3 should be fixed by now. What idiot guest put coffee grounds in the water reservoir?

The need to know: great to be in the middle of things; quick walk to the beach and in the middle of everything. Our goal was to be out enjoying the sites, not to be in our room, so we could overlook the minor flaws. Cody's is across the street and great for breakfast or lunch. Go to LaEstancia for a couples spa day, Mission Coffee Cup, another killer breakfast place. Karl Strauss Brewing Co and Herringbone are fantastic places to eat. WeOlive is a few doors down and you must have wine and cheese from their balcony. There are stairs on the side of the hotel next door and great for running up and down to the beach to get your cardio going.

Speaking of views: the rooftop view at LaJoya Inn is amazing. Grab a novel, a drink and lounge up there. We enjoyed our stay, not 100% perfect but we still we're satisfied for what it was, a small older hotel in the middle of everything.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Yuma, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

Took my husband for a get away - booked it for location - fresh blood on sheets - room not cleaned, made up to appear it had, no hot water entire stay - though told water would be fixed prior to second night stay - 2 nights and 3 days - owner refused phone calls about complaints and staff stated unable to make decisions - I've sent letters of complaint directly to the owner and Orbitz also tried in my behalf to obtain partial refund as I do have pictures - owner also avoided all calls from them - next is BBB - new standard for hotels will be - at least it's not as bad as the la jolla inn!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
LJI1110, Manager at La Jolla Inn, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear HappyAZGirl : I am very sorry to read about your recent experience at our hotel. Clearly we did not fulfill our promise to you in providing first-class service. I am addressing your issues immediately to ensure they don't happen again in the future. We apologize that your stay with us did not go as you had planned, and we will do what we can so that such an issue does not arise again. -Michelle Mead, Hotel Manager
Tucson, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

We stayed two nights in this hotel. The location is great. However it is very noisy at night on weekends, especially in the downstairs rooms. The upstairs rooms are small but OK. The street level rooms however are noisy, dark and musty. Definitely not worth the price. What made our experience particularly bad was that we had no hot water for the entire stay. My husband had to shower at the beach. No one informed us of what was going on. We had to ask for updates...kept being told it was being fixed when it obviously wasn't. Furthermore we overheard them booking in new customers and not telling them about the lack of hot water either. Extreemly poor management.

Room Tip: Do not take the street level rooms on a weekend.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
LJI1110, Manager at La Jolla Inn, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Kate H.:
I am disappointed to read the review about your recent visit to the La Jolla Inn. In response to your comments about our service, please know that our staff strives to ensure the complete satisfaction of our guests at all times. We have worked to ensure that such a situation does not occur in the future, and that all of our guests have full access to the amenities they have been promised. Thank you for your consideration of our response to your issues.
-Michelle Mead, Hotel Manager
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

I was staying in the area for a week for a job interview and to explore the local area. I am from the UK and this was my first trip to the USA. I arrived in the evening after travelling for approx 23 hours and needed to crash, but annoyingly the place across the street was having a live music night which was pretty loud, and a little annoying. It stopped around 11 pm, but this happened quite frequently during my stay. The room was fine, clean, but pretty basic and with overpriced minibar snacks. The first room I stayed in had no wifi signal at all on my iPad mini, so I had to use the wifi in the 'library' - a sofa located next to a bookcase outside 4 rooms. There was a loud noise coming from the convenience store one night which was below my room, so I complained and they were very happy to let me switch rooms. The new room was the same standard as the previous, but no with no annoying noise from the store, and with wifi connection!

The location is of course, fabulous, if it were not for this I would not recommend staying here at all. But, saying that, if you do not plan on spending much time in your room and you are on a budget, this place is for you.

Room Tip: Not above the convenience store.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Pittsford, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

I was intimidated by a number of reviews I read online but the hotel is in the perfect location in the center of LaJolla so I risked it and was very pleasantly surprised. Price is low compared to others nearby. Rooms are small but nicely done and very clean. Staff is friendly. We have a balcony with chairs and can see the park and the water. There's a rooftop deck. I'll stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

My husband and I bought a 1 night stay though rocketmiles; we were looking for a short 1 hour getaway from home. I will say that the location of the hotel is great; close to LaJolla Cove, the Caves, lots of shops and restaurants. However, the hotel is average and as others have shared, it is in need of a touch up. We began in room 7 which was right off the street; a dark, small room with a very dirty carpet. My husband asked to be moved and they did accommodate us and moved us to room 16. (If we were not able to be moved we were going to ask for credit and go home. Just to let you know how much we disliked room 7). Room 16 was on the 2nd floor with an ocean view and a small balcony. A bit larger and much brighter. Walls are thin which is understandable for this type of hotel but everytime someone flushed their toilet - our toilet ran. (Every single time) The location is a bit noisy with the street below and restaurants around but truly that did not bother us. The patio on the roof was ok for the sunset but again no frills; just a few tables and chairs. The room appeared clean and the reception girls were nice but I dont think I think if we came back to LaJolla we would stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

I stayed at the La Jolla Inn for 3 nights and was very pleasantly surprised. It was a great value and the location was top notch. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the room was nicer than I expected based on some of the less favorable reviews I'd read. I did pay the extra for a room with a balcony and my room also had a kitchenette. I was on the 2nd floor (1st level with balconies). The room was cosy and reminded me of a cottage by the sea. It had an ocean view from the bed and balcony and the bathroom was newly remodeled. The hotel has a rooftop terrace that looks out over Scripps Park and the ocean. The hotel is a short walk to good restaurants in all price classes and all international flavors. It's also a short, pleasant walk to La Jolla Cove where the stellar sea lions hang out on the rocks and also a short walk to other beaches including Casa Beach where harbor seals give birth to their pupps in the spring, and to the caves. I prefer more low-key hotels with charm and personality and the La Jolla Inn exceeded my expectations.

Room Tip: I think the rooms with balconies at the end of the hall, closest to the ocean, are larger than the o...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Been to La Jolla Inn? Share your experiences!