“Underwhelming, but convenient.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Underwhelming, but convenient.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

I was staying in the area for a week for a job interview and to explore the local area. I am from the UK and this was my first trip to the USA. I arrived in the evening after travelling for approx 23 hours and needed to crash, but annoyingly the place across the street was having a live music night which was pretty loud, and a little annoying. It stopped around 11 pm, but this happened quite frequently during my stay. The room was fine, clean, but pretty basic and with overpriced minibar snacks. The first room I stayed in had no wifi signal at all on my iPad mini, so I had to use the wifi in the 'library' - a sofa located next to a bookcase outside 4 rooms. There was a loud noise coming from the convenience store one night which was below my room, so I complained and they were very happy to let me switch rooms. The new room was the same standard as the previous, but no with no annoying noise from the store, and with wifi connection!

The location is of course, fabulous, if it were not for this I would not recommend staying here at all. But, saying that, if you do not plan on spending much time in your room and you are on a budget, this place is for you.

Room Tip: Not above the convenience store.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Pittsford, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

I was intimidated by a number of reviews I read online but the hotel is in the perfect location in the center of LaJolla so I risked it and was very pleasantly surprised. Price is low compared to others nearby. Rooms are small but nicely done and very clean. Staff is friendly. We have a balcony with chairs and can see the park and the water. There's a rooftop deck. I'll stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

My husband and I bought a 1 night stay though rocketmiles; we were looking for a short 1 hour getaway from home. I will say that the location of the hotel is great; close to LaJolla Cove, the Caves, lots of shops and restaurants. However, the hotel is average and as others have shared, it is in need of a touch up. We began in room 7 which was right off the street; a dark, small room with a very dirty carpet. My husband asked to be moved and they did accommodate us and moved us to room 16. (If we were not able to be moved we were going to ask for credit and go home. Just to let you know how much we disliked room 7). Room 16 was on the 2nd floor with an ocean view and a small balcony. A bit larger and much brighter. Walls are thin which is understandable for this type of hotel but everytime someone flushed their toilet - our toilet ran. (Every single time) The location is a bit noisy with the street below and restaurants around but truly that did not bother us. The patio on the roof was ok for the sunset but again no frills; just a few tables and chairs. The room appeared clean and the reception girls were nice but I dont think I think if we came back to LaJolla we would stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

I stayed at the La Jolla Inn for 3 nights and was very pleasantly surprised. It was a great value and the location was top notch. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the room was nicer than I expected based on some of the less favorable reviews I'd read. I did pay the extra for a room with a balcony and my room also had a kitchenette. I was on the 2nd floor (1st level with balconies). The room was cosy and reminded me of a cottage by the sea. It had an ocean view from the bed and balcony and the bathroom was newly remodeled. The hotel has a rooftop terrace that looks out over Scripps Park and the ocean. The hotel is a short walk to good restaurants in all price classes and all international flavors. It's also a short, pleasant walk to La Jolla Cove where the stellar sea lions hang out on the rocks and also a short walk to other beaches including Casa Beach where harbor seals give birth to their pupps in the spring, and to the caves. I prefer more low-key hotels with charm and personality and the La Jolla Inn exceeded my expectations.

Room Tip: I think the rooms with balconies at the end of the hall, closest to the ocean, are larger than the o...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Like most other reviewers, I chose this hotel based on its location. That's the only good thing about it.
It's noisy, smells bad, hasn't been renovated in decades, and the a/c in my room didn't work.

After midnight, I called the front desk, to ask about changing rooms. However, the front desk is not staffed at night. This is probably the worst hotel experience I've had.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
LJI1110, Manager at La Jolla Inn, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
I am sorry to read about your recent stay at the La Jolla Inn. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We will work diligently to ensure that these issues that you have addressed will be brought forth to management. I hope you will give us an opportunity to exceed your expectations during your next visit to La Jolla --Michelle Mead, Hotel Manager
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

It was a small room, a no frills just a room to stay that had a great location. I didn't have issues with service and there was a made to order continental breakfast which was nice. It was perfect for us because we were barely in the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
El Cajon, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

First let me say I purchased a voucher for a two night stay through The Goods for $363. Here is what the offer said: "Get 67% off a 2 night stay in the luxury Junior Suite at the La Jolla Inn. Just steps from the ocean & downtown La Jolla. Receive flowers, chocolates & Champagne upon arrival. No black out dates!" So I bit and purchased a two night voucher. I looked over the hotel web site and was looking forward to being steps from the lovely La Jolla Cove and the opportunity to sit on my deck, drink wine and look at the ocean. First, YES were steps from the Cove, BUT we had no Ocean view, no deck, no fresh flowers, no chocolates and no champagne......there was a stale musty odor in the room and the bed was a very uncomfortable double. Now the positive side, there were two bathrooms and a kitchen area. Should I have complained, probably.....We stayed one night sleepless due to the discomfort and size of the bed as well as the musty smell. Again the positive side, we did spend a lovely day in La Jolla walking around the Cove and going to the Museum, so all was not lost. However we checked out rather than stay the second night and when we checked out we were asked "WHY we were leaving early?" I pointed to the pictures being shown in the lobby of the rooms, the same as on the web site and asked "WHERE are these rooms?" The Junior Suite we paid $183 per night, a 67% discount off regular price looked nothing like these....I was told I could wait and talk to the manager, but I told her "no thanks"....BUYER BEWARE!!!! Perhaps the upper ocean view rooms are nice, but DON'T be suckered into the street level rooms!!! This room was worth maybe $75 a night. TWO losers here, The Goods---I WON'T purchase from them again, and the Hotel, we are local and enjoy "staycations" and we won't return to this hotel and we will pass the word about this "Boutique" hotel. ASK questions if you book here and be sure you are getting what you think you are getting. I have walked out of better hotels than this one.....

Room Tip: Ask for upper floor Ocean View room, if you dare to stay here.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to La Jolla Inn? Share your experiences!