“Great location but could be better!” 2 of 5 stars

La Jolla Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1110 Prospect St, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92037   |
Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Oxnard, California
“Great location but could be better!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Centrally located in the heart of the Village once you park you are walking distance to every were you want to go.
We were visiting family and it was our first time staying in La Jolla. Because we don’t usually spend much time at all in the room we also did not want to pay a lot for the room.
Price was great less than $100 per night and based on reviews we decided to try it and it included a continental breakfast.
We expected a no frills room and that is exactly what you get and the carpet at least in room 7 was in need of cleaning. You are however steps away from shopping and the sea so we got about what we expected and life was good.
That evening I noticed a couple of bugs in the shower that must have come in through the drains, not to worry we flushed them and all was good.
The next evening just after dark we entered the room and a large cockroach ran across the floor…. This was not okay with me if you don’t know what they say if you see one there are many more that you don’t see. They have a pest problem and do not seem to care much about it. I did not sleep well that night and was glad that we were leaving in the morning. We shook all of our clothes and luggage out before leaving as we did not want to bring any passengers home with us.
For the money I think the next time we will try the Best Western a few blocks away!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Arlington, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

What a pleasant surprise to find this charming, small, friendly spot right on Prospect Street, next to La Valencia, and at an unbelievable price. The rooms range from cozy to spacious, with balconies that overlook the street and the ocean a block away. We had a suite with full kitchen for one-third the price of La Valencia. Yes, it's an older property, no elevator, and the "breakfast" consists of a limited selection of low quality bread products, ripe bananas, and dry cereal that they deliver promptly to your room and quite good coffee that you get yourself from a first floor library. The staff is friendly though not particularly knowledgable about the neighborhood. It was not hard to find free street parking nearby, and the location is outstanding for shopping, eating and exploring the beach. Be warned that the seals, pelicans, and other birds create an extremely unpleasant odor along the beach, at times quite nauseating, and at other times totally absent. The smell does not reach Prospect Street, generally, but the early morning commercial traffic often serves as an unwelcome alarm clock. Check out this small spot with the blue awnings, and if you appreciate a great deal, you'll check in.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor with a kitchen.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

This older quaint hotel is right in the heart of Downtown LaJolla on Prospect street. Next door to La Valencia hotel (which is at least 3X more expensive). My wife and I needed to get out and this last minute jaunt was just what we needed. First the deal was great, we got a nice Queen room (smallish) with a balcony that overlooks the ocean as well as the Prospect street action. We were in room 16 which was closer to the street, room 20 looks like it might have the best ocean view, but not all that different from us. But at $119 for a last minute escape, we could not beat it. They have complimentary cookies at nite and continental breakfast served to your room. But we passed on that in favor or a local hot breakfast fare. We had dinner at Jose Courtroom right across the street at an even better bargain ($10 full mexican dinner meals) and had a wonderful walk after dinner amongst the gallaries and shops. Wish we had gotten down early enough for the live music in the club that was next to Jose's and upstairs (live music during happy hour, then DJ's at nite) but we enjoyed the music from our room. Although the outside noise was significant, once the balcony door was closed, we had our private sanctuary, unimpaired by the surroundings outside. Parking is available for $6 in a private parking about 2 blocks away, but we just parked on the street that goes down to the beach besides the hotel for free with no issue.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We recently stayed at La Jolla Inn in California for 3 nights. Please ask for a receipt when you check out, as they added food charges on my bill that were not mine. They leave a basket of very overpriced snack items in the room, so that guests have an "opportunity" of convenience to pay $5.00 for a cookie or a small snack item. I had checked out the night before we left, as we were leaving at a very early hour, before their front desk would be staffed. I requested a printed receipt when I checked out. About 2 wks later, I requested they fax me another receipt, as my husband needed it... and there were additional charges on my bill that they added after I left. They also gave me a parking card when I checked in and told me I could either use the parking garage or a free spot on the street. Since I found free parking on the street each night, I never needed the card. I was NEVER informed that they would charge me for that parking garage just because they handed me the parking card. I never used the garage and would presume they could get electronic record of the use of the card by their guests. So, BEWARE, this hotel does not hesitate to add charges to your bill, even when you haven't incurred the expenses. It is not unheard of that they do this routinely, and since the amounts are relatively small, guests who don't pay attention to the details of the bill will NOT recognize that additional charges have been added. The amounts are not significant, so perhaps not worth an argument to some , but the hotel makes plenty of extra money by doing this to every guest. This is intentional, deceiptful practice and I want to make future guests aware of this, so they have the opportunity to ask questions and check their final bills and pay attention to the details.

Room Tip: Rooms accessible to the street, find free parking readily available right outside your door...
Phoenix Arizona, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

The room was smaller than usual but this is an older building and only has about 24 rooms in the whole place. Only a queen size bed was available. The patio area was quite comfortable to people-watch. The kitchenette was very convenient with nice storage space. The bathroom had no counter at all -- only a small wall cabinet. Parking is limited in LaJolla Village so we paid for the parking garage. It worked out well as we walked everywhere and drove to SanDiego for one day with parking in the garage available on return. Housekeeping was awesome. The receptionists were very helpful with local information and getting problems with the TV fixed. They actually replaced the TV in our room, with our permission, while we were out because the cable channels were not available. This is a great location and is easier on the budget if being in a modern hotel and beachside is not a criteria. This is close to the beach and has a view of the sea. This is for those who want a homey feel to their space.

Room Tip: Pay attention to pictures when booking reservation to get an indoor room if you prefer or an outdoor...
Montebello
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I booked my room at this hotel on the internet for a very good price. When I got there my reservations were not on the computer. I showed the receptionist my confirmation and she was very kind to put us up in a suite. A large room with air conditioning, two TVs, 2 bathrooms, kitchen, etc. Very nice! We walked next door to a 5 star hotel for drinks and eats. My husband was not happy with the bed that is old and had a dent in the middle. He woke up with back pain because of it. I told the receptionist and she said she would definitely let the owners know about the problem. Parking was far away with difficult unloading traffic. Overall it was a nice get away and enjoyed the suite and the location very much, thank you!

Room Tip: Choose a room on the third floor. There is too much street noise on the ground floor.
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I agree small room for the price but very comfortable bed!! very nice location to walk around to eat & shop without getting into your car. Beach just around the corner. Need more parking closer had to park a good block away. Roof top area was ok.

Been to La Jolla Inn? Share your experiences!