“Unbeatable Location and Great Rooms” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club

Save Saved
You added La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club to your Saves list
La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2000 Sprindrift Drive, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92037-3237   |
Hotel packages
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Hastings, Nebraska
“Unbeatable Location and Great Rooms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

I lived in San Diego for three years before moving away, but my family and I go back to visit my wife's family each year. When I lived in San Diego, I lived 300 feet from the beach, so it's hard to please me with a hotel's location. LJBTC's location is stellar; it's right on the beach, a beach that has the cleanest, clearest water in San Diego. Also, the beach is very safe if you're not used to the ocean. I learned to surf there when I moved to San Diego -- from Nebraska -- because the waves are a bit smaller and easier to learn on. Back to the hotel, once you are there you don't have to leave: it has restaurants on-site, and within a block of the premises; also, you can get boards at the hotel or walk a block and rent a board or kayak. Bottom line: go to this place for a family friendly place that you will enjoy and won't have to leave for anything. Oh, and if you want groceries, there's a Ralph's and Trader Joe's two miles or so up the road right off of the 5.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Pinehurst, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

The La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club has a most beautiful spot on La Jolla Cove with spectacular sunsets. The room facilities are, however, dated in the seventies. Although the rooms are huge and are oceanfront, they are in dire need of an overall facelift. The resorts amenities are plentiful and the staff were pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

What a wonderful place! Yes, the rooms are slightly dated, but who cares when you can literally step out your front door on to the sand! The beds were comfortable, kitchen well stocked, three restaurants with good food selection and they will set up a beach barbecue with a table dressed with proper linens, tableware and crystal for you right on the beach! Fire pits are available for toasting marshmallows, the beach is perfect for walking, games, and kite flying, and the water is gentle enough by the hotel for small children and has surf at the far end for teens! We will be back as soon as possible!

• Stayed February 2014
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

When I first drove up and walked to my room I was sure I knew what this was. Old time, cement hotel on the beach - sandy and salty with a leaky air conditioner and tube TV. I was very wrong. My room was literally on the beach, in fact at high tide the surf almost came into the room. The room was immaculate, a virtual impossibility for a beach hotel. I have no idea how they get all the sand out. The bedroom & bathroom was beautiful while the kitchen area was a little dated. Two huge flat screen TVs and a rock star air conditioner. The hallways, open to the beach, are not the prettiest with some chips (in cement) and peeling paint, but it is literally on the beach. The salt water, surf and wind are quite corrosive. The staff was excellent. We did not use the tennis, golf, beach fun or restaurants since it was a business trip, but I would bet they are good. Sitting outside my room, I saw a humpback whale breach - awesome!

Room Tip: Choose a room on the beach, you will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

Older facility; however, it was exactly what we were looking for-- beachfront and well kept. Paid a little more than some other hotels in the area but having a full kitchen and parking included was well worth it. There were just two things that I had an issue with:
1) We were on the ground floor and next to what sounded like and felt like a mechanical room. All night long we could hear a loud motor of some sort. Luckily, we are both good sleepers and it wasn't a huge deal for us. In defense of the resort, we did not give them the opportunity to remedy this as it just wasn't a huge deal to us.
2) We had three friends come meet us to have a drink in our suite and then go out to dinner. Our friends were not familiar with the resort and they went to the gate looking for us. We had a drink at our suite and left for dinner. At check out time, we realized we were charged $20 per guest. It makes sense that they charge for guests when those guests are out and about in the common areas enjoying the facilities. I can totally appreciate why they do this and have no issue with it. However, I think it's a bit much to be charged for visitors to private suites who are not making use of facilities and just visiting for an hour or two.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Winter Garden, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

You can't beat the location, beautiful sunsets and the waves where rocking. Housekeeping, Room Service and Restaurant all struggled to meet what I would think they would expect from their staff. One day housekeeping didn't make up our bedroom, every day they missed replenishing coffee so at 5:30 a.m. I was walking to the front dest. Room Service missed something on every order, breakfast staff on a Wednesday was inattentive and missing in restaurant.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

I'm ambivalent about my experience at the LJBTC. On one hand, you can't beat the location-- on the beach, great views, sand and sun. On the other hand, it's basically someone else's country club where you are a guest and that just creates a feel that made it less enjoyable.
The rooms are generic, feel out of the 1980's or 1990's, but who cares, you're there for the beach. I'm not one for throwing everything out and rehabbing just to stay current with trends, so didn't find it a problem. We had a one bedroom oceanfront suite with a good sized living room, full sized kitchen and bedroom. Nice size, nothing exciting, but nothing objectionable.
The check-in experience was frustrating, because we were offered early check-in but for a room that wasn't quite oceanfront and had an active construction site right out the window with frequent close back and forths by a backhoe. When I declined the room, the front desk clerk was a bit petulant about the change and made me wait every minute until the check-in time for a different room (despite seeing the room that we ultimately ended up in was ready sooner). His replacement and the other clerks were quite nice and helpful.
There were a lot of families there who seemed to be regulars (and I'm assuming members?) who weren't exactly rude, but less friendly than just the average other guest at a regular hotel. There were also places that were marked "members only". Maybe it was just us and maybe a little too diverse-- it is a very heterosexual, white, well heeled place (as much of La Jolla is).
All in all, I'm not sure I'd go back and would do more searching for other beachfront properties.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms next to construction at the hotel next door (room 128 and surrounding rooms)
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club? Share your experiences!