“No Other Place Like It” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club

Save Saved
You added La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club to your Saves list
La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2000 Sprindrift Drive, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92037-3237   |
Hotel packages
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #5 of 23 hotels in La Jolla
U.S. expats
“No Other Place Like It”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

I need to make it clear that I did not stay in a room at the La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club. We have family that are members, and bought us a week long pass which gave us a week's access.

We loved it.

I have been coming here for years, as have many other people. Indeed, many people who do stay in the rooms have been coming not just for years, but for generations.

There really is nothing else like it. The La Jolla Beach & Tennis is home to one of California's few private beaches. Now why would that be so special? After all, California has 1,000s of miles of public beaches.

True, and on public beaches you must find public parking, lug your towels and chairs, and are not permitted to make fires unless the beach has it's own firepit, or you bring along a special stand up barbeque, and all that entails.

Back to LJB&TC. You drive in to the lovely grounds, flash your pass and park. You walk in with your suit, sunglasses, and little else. Once on the beach you ask the red shirts (employees) to set up chairs, wind shields, lounge chairs and/or tables in whatever configuration you so desire. A tip is nice, since you don't lift a finger. Have your kids grab a stack of complimentary towels while your site is set up. Once set up, you can order drinks and snacks from your chair (a little pricey--think airplane prices).

At low tide, there are tide pools on the left/south to explore. Swimming in the waters just off the LJB&TC is fun--if you can do the "stingray shuffle" (this is for most beaches in San Diego) and if you like, snorkling with ....sharks! Not Jaws, but harmless Leopard sharks and Sand sharks. Go ahead, do a google search as I did...there are no reported incidents of injuries anywhere in the world due to a Leopard shark. Last known record of anything concerning Leopards was in 1955, concerning a skin diver with a nosebleed who was harassed and received no injuries.

After your swim, take a hot shower or swim in the pool--kept at a tropical 80 degrees.

And then there's dinner. Dinner on the beach. This is one of those rare things that is such a draw for the LJB&TC. You can cook whatever you bring at one of the community grills. You can set up, or have set up tables to use for your group--just pay attention to the tides. Alcohol is permitted, although glass is not. Unreserved tables can be set up between the water and the green "reserved" sign roughly 20 feet from the espalade.

Weekends are most popular, with many large groups bring elaborate dinners--some very fancy--to eat while watching the sun go down. The kids eat on the beach, and go right back to playing on it.

LJB&TC has some very aggressive seagulls--they have stolen food off plates, and even off the community grills, until that problem was solved by a hawk for hire. The hawk and his trainer come every other day about dinner time, and help to keep the seagulls at bay. The gulls are truly frightened and scatter. Our last dinner saw the hawk fly up and tackle a seagull in midair, spiraling down to the ground holding the gull in its claws. One less seagull to steal my kid's hot dog out of his hand. (Had seen that happen in the past).

At the pool at night, there is an outdoor fireplace, where some like to hang out between dips in the pool.

I took a look at two of the rooms, but not any equipped with kitchens. They are not 5 star resort rooms, but family rooms with two beds and a flat screen. Honestly can't think why anyone would be spending a lot of time outside sleeping in the room.

Kayaking is also available a short walk north through La Jolla Kayak, which I will review separately.

Love it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

177 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

The La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club will bring you back to the elite tennis clubs of the 1950's where the "preppies" played. The location is on the beach.
The facilities are quite dated, except for the fitness room. Most rooms have a fridge, microwave, and coffeemaker. Would stay there again but not in peak season. Pool was totally impacted with kids and no lap swims were availble except for 1 hr. midday. Not enough for the room cost in my book.

Room Tip: Best rooms have ocean views.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
LJBTC, Manager at La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club, responded to this review, August 4, 2011
Thank you for choosing the La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club for your recent stay in La Jolla. You are correct, summer is a very busy time for us as both hotel guests and club members readily use our facilities. The pool and beach are very popular with kids during this time of year. May I suggest considering staying with us in the off-season. September and October are the most beautiful months in La Jolla, with mostly warm weather and fewer crowds. We run many specials in the off-season, especially mid-week. Please give me a call when you a ready to return and I will be happy to make the arrangements.

San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

I have both positive and negative things to say about my experience.
Positive: Great, Great, Great View! Loved walking straight out of my room and seeing the beautiful ocean every morning. Excellent gym and track in-front of hotel to work out. Tennis courts looked clean and taken care of. Beach was clean and definitly didnt have to worry about getting seaweed all over me and such. Food is great! Several times we ordered food and had it delivered to us on the beach!

Negative: Kind of rude staff. First of all, it's full of nothing but young teenage boys who really look like they could care less about you, they just needed a summer job.While we stayed there, it was a pretty busy weekend. So everyday if you wanted a chair you had to get up early and claim it.So we did, but when we were ready to go out say at noon to hang by the beach, someone had already taken our chair. I know this really isnt the hotel's fault... but I wish there were "Reserved" signs that you could put on your chair so you wont have to worry about someone else taking them.
Also, the rooms were often very warm. You can't control the temperature and I often found myself annoyed by the severe heat.
Back to the staff: Since it is a beach and tennis club, there are several wealthy families that come daily who live in La Jolla but are members of the club. I noticed that the staff almost had favorites. And they seemed to care more about members paying thousands a year, then guests paying hundereds/thousands to enjoy a stay. It would make more sense to treat the guests better so they can keep coming back ...in my mind! The best way I could put it is...SNOBBY! Snobby looks,snobby people,snobby staff. Maybe even a bit racist? For example, I saw a very well dressed young American family who looked well of walk in and recieve immediate attention by the staff. Later on, I saw a more hispanic family, probably very wealthy, family walk in and it seemed as almost the staff had a "do you belong here look?" on their faces.
Seeing as how most of La Jolla has caucasian people, it doesnt surprise me.
The beds were also very uncomfortable! Dont sleep on the pull out bed on the couch! I had a sore neck my whole trip!
One more thing... (unrelated to the hotel) If you're not from California...BEWARE OF THE DANGEROUS, UNPATIENT,RIDICULOUS DRIVERS. They are everywhere!
Not sure if I'll come back. Service more than anything disappointed me.Plus, I saw much nicer hotels very close to the beach!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
LJBTC, Manager at La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club, responded to this review, July 19, 2011
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please accept my apologies that you did not receive the level of service you expected from our beach servers. You are correct in pointing out that many of our temporary beach servers are seasonal, however we go to great length in hiring only the best of staff and have an extensive training program. Again, please accept my apologies that the service you experienced did not meet your expectations. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon. Best regards.
Kansas City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011 via mobile

Enjoyed a wonderful weekend at LJBTC in March. Facilities were great. Lunch at Club Dining and Dinner at the fabulous Marine Room. Caesar Salad made table side and gorgeous views of the sunset. Even saw the elusive green flash. Take the family, relax, enjoy yourself. Great food up the street. Jeff's Burgers, Piatti, The Cheese Shop. Grocery store real close.

• Stayed March 2011
LJBTC, Manager at La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club, responded to this review, June 11, 2011
Thank you for your kind feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back soon.

Best regards,

St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

This was our first visit to the La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club (LJBTC) but definitely won't be our last. My son, a high school varsity tennis player and daughter, happy if she's sitting anywhere near the Pacific Ocean and a palm tree, accompanied me for five days of recreation in the San Diego area. We stayed in a cottage on the Club golf course. Magnificent. Private courtyard with BBQ pit and patio furniture. Two bedrooms (one with twins and the other a queen), two full baths, full kitchen, family room with flat screen plus dining area with bar. Spacious, meticulously clean. Every single member of the staff is incredibly accommodating from the front desk, to housekeeping, from the guard(s) at the front entrance to the dining areas, from beach front personnel to tennis shop. There are smiles everywhere but not a pretentiousness or smothering attitude. Someone is hiring very well! The La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club has a private beach with magnificent views. The food in the dining area is tasty (albeit a bit pricey) but we ventured out (to Jamba Juice in nearby Vonns) and to our favorite, Barbarella, for outstanding food. The Club is located less than five minutes away from La Jolla Shores, Harry's (a must-go-to for breakfast and/or lunch), La Jolla Cove (we were fortunate to be there during the seal pupping season). Even the post office, Warwicks book store (oldest continuously operated family owned bookstore in the U.S.) and Gerard's (another fabulous eatery in La Jolla) are very nearby. Downtown San Diego, Little Italy (scrumptious, reasonably priced meal at Buon Appetito), the harbor for whale watching tours (recommend Dennis Conner's America) and the airport are a short 15 minute drive away. My son took several private tennis lessons at LJBTC and played several matches. While we were there, the Dartmouth tennis team was in a tournament against Utah. I believe there are 12 outdoor lit (until 10pm) courts. Rain was a bit problematic on our trip and the courts take 2 hours to dry but the Club has a staff quickly on court the moment the rain stops squeegee'ing the courts dry. Also a very nice merchandise selection and friendly staff at the Tennis Shop...particularly Kaitlyn and Jessica. Anthony at the front desk and Daniel M. of the beach staff were particularly kind and welcoming. We have no complaint other than the fact that the Tennis Shop only has one ball hopper available to guests and if it's rented, you are out of luck should you wish to work independently on your serve or off of the two backboards. And if you don't bring your own tennis balls, the only way to gain access is to rent the elusive hopper or buy a can of balls. A nice touch would be to offer a complimentary can of balls to each guest who checks into the Club for tennis hitting purposes. And the Club really doesn't have a business center. The front reception desk prints boarding passes and the one computer available didn't seem to be able to access or continuously access the internet. Bring a laptop if you need the internet. There's free WiFi in the rooms. Other than that, a delightful stay and a place to which we will definitely return.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent visit to the La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club and thank you for your positive feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and will share your nice comments with our staff.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

kearney, ne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

Extremely disappointed! The room was dirty, walls had debris on them and a cockroach crawled out from under the bed. Called housekeeping, took twenty minutes for them to get there. Roach still under bed and they said "Water bug from the ocean, then probably came from the water pipes, then said housekeeping next door". Then they said they never use this room for guests because of this particular reason. Why did they give it to me! Couldn't move us til next day then said had to wait another day. Should have left right away. Beautiful location but a rathole of a place!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing the La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club for your recent visit to La Jolla. Please accept my sincere apologies for the condition of the room during your recent stay with us. Rest assured that corrective measures have already taken place to ensure that these types of situations do not recur. We would like to regain your confidence in our resort and would welcome if you gave us another opportunity when your travels return to La Jolla.

Listowel, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

room reservations got confused, had to sleep on pull out couch in room with my daughter and her husband, good thing we get along so well. sewer vent outside door was a little smelly, rooms very outdated but comfortable. rooms were where the delivery trucks dropped off in the mornings, a little noisy. beach was beautiful, if not for that i would not stay there again

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Been to La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club? Share your experiences!