“Enjoyable Stay” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Plano, Texas
“Enjoyable Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

I stayed the week of July 16-20, and was very happy with the quality of the facilities and service. I was in room 104, which is close to the elevators and restaurant, but the room was very quiet and I had no issues at all with noise or disturbances of any kind. Parking on the street can be very challenging, but Nick and Alan at the front desk were very helpful at providing hints regarding street parking in the area. The Manhattan Restaurant was great. I had the grilled swordfish with capers one evening, and it was perfectly done. I know I'll be back again to sample some of the other dishes. All in all, my stay was very satisfying, and I look forward to my next visit to the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

425 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Tempe, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

We just spent 2 nights at the Empress Hotel and found that it deserves its reputation.
It is in a perfect location.
The rooms are quiet, clean and nicely appointed.
The staff were very pleasant and helpful, especially Cisco.
We will stay there on our next trip to La Jolla.

Room Tip: Room 416 was great!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

The staff was outstanding, always eager to help and very outgoing and friendly, always with a smile and a greeting. When I asked how to get back to my car rental facility since it wasn't right at the airport, he promptly looked up the address and printed me out directions. Parking is an issue in the area, so we did the $18/day valet parking and never really had to wait for the car. The rooms were nicely maintained and roomy in that it was wide. You can actually open the windows here. We didn't eat at the on site restaurant here but heard it was very good. The included continental breakfast was decent and had hard boiled eggs and you could make your own Belgium waffles and eat on a nice patio. The location is very good and central to everything with a short walk.
Would go back again!

Room Tip: I had read that food smells from the restaurant can be an issue in some rooms but we had no problem...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Unfortunatley I never actually stayed at the Empress Hotel and never will! I was suppose to stay there one night for business, the day before my reservation (24 hours) I had a family emergency that required me to fly home earlier. My wife's back went out, we have an 8 year old girl with casts on both of her legs and a son that has special needs. We do not have family in our area and my wife's issues required me to get home. I called the Empress to cancel my reservation and they said they are holding true to their "48 hour" cancelation policy. After speaking to "Ben" who answered the phone, I explained my situation to him, he said he would ask the "General Manager Kevin Swenink" to see if there was anything he would do, I asked to speak to the General Manager himself but I was told that "Ben" handled all of his calls for him. To there credit, I did get a 25% discount off my summer rate, but after not being allowed to speak to the person in charge, I felt like I got the brush off. So be aware when booking at this hotel, make sure family emergencies happen 48 hours before you stay there and that the "General Manager" is too busy to actually speak to his customers.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Plano, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here on a Thursday night mid-July. We paid $171 a night due to a special promotion via email. The staff was nice and we enjoyed the little extras they provided such as chocolates and cookies. The breakfast was ok. The rooms were clean but pretty standard. The best thing about this hotel is the location. I loved how close it was to the cove. I would definitely stay here again if I could get a similiar rate.

• Stayed July 2012
Bozeman, Montana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I travelled to La Jolla June 20 for a one-night stay (a Wednesday night.) I had to call several hotels to get a reservation, and finally got one at the Empress. When I showed up to check in, they said they were sorry, a guest had chosen to stay an extra night (no, I don't believe them), and they didn't have a room for me. But they COULD offer me a free night just down the street. I was skeptical but decided I check it out. The place I pulled up to looked like they rented by the hour. There was no way I was going to stay there, free or not.

I feel that a REAL hotel would have found me an equally nice room elsewhere. I would have been fine paying the rate that I as promised at the Empress.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Jupiter
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

Value for money is terrible. There are better places in La Jolla I stayed before. It is worth while to look around before staying here. Front desk personnel was also not very helpful.

• Stayed July 2012

Been to Empress Hotel of La Jolla? Share your experiences!