“Overall Review at the Inn by the Sea” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Get up to 20% off
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Polish first
Chino, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Recently stayed at this hotel as part of a wedding party for 3 nights and thought the location and property were great. I was impressed! The agents at the front desk were helpful, courteous and friendly. The hotel was clean and my room was clean-no leaky faucets-everything was in great shape. I thought it was a great property, the ocean view was wonderful and the room was spacious. I say all this, because I was a travel agent for 25 years and have done my share of property inspections and I thought the location/room size/and rate make this property a great value. Plenty of great places to eat within walking distance-and the area is safe! A traveler cannot ask for more.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

Nice enough hotel which is clean, staff were helpful when we got in and asked for a no frills place to eat and got it spot on. Nice area, walking distance to the beach and plenty of friendly shops, bars and cafes nearby. Only negative is $12 a night parking. All the hotels we have stayed in so far have been free. Other than that, would recommend

• Stayed November 2012
landgraaf
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My son and I spend 10 days in this hotel. We were visiting the UCSD for my sons work.
The hotel was average. Nobody of the staff asked if our stay was fine.

The room on the 5 floor was nice but al little dated.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
white plains, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Excellent value and location for La Jolla. We have often stayed here while visiting family nearby. Rooms were renovated a few years ago and are well-maintained. Location is convenient to oceanfront and shopping. A block from San Diego Museum of Contemporary Art.

Room Tip: Request room above the first floor. Hotel renovated a few years ago. Excellent location and value fo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I picked this hotel about 30 minutes before I arrived there. They gave me a great rate over the phone. The front desk staff was friendly, fast and super helpful. I liked the computer in the main area for printing boarding passes. Location was great. The room itself was nice. The bathroom definitely needs updating. The shower control knob wasn't secured to the wall and I felt like if I pulled the water on hard enough, it would break off. While showering, the water temperature went from scalding hot to freezing cold with no warning and continued cycling for the duration of the shower. There was a rumbling we heard in our room and down the hall. We found out it was the dryer from the cleaning staff. Very irritating, but it ended before I went to bed. The breakfast was about as lackluster as can be. The pancakes were so dry I couldn't finish them. Still, I paid for location and convenience. The bed was very comfortable - a pillowtop, and the front desk staff made excellent restaurant recommendations. Would I stay here again? Probably.

Room Tip: Ask to stay away from the dryers.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ilkley
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

A reservation was made several months in advance for myself, my wife and the 2 friends we were travelling with. We had chosen 2 upper floor rooms rather than ground floor rooms in the hope that we might have a reasonable view of the surrounding area. On checking in we were surprised to be allocated 2 ground floor rooms. It was explained that the hotel was full and these were the only rooms vacant. Our room was at the rear of the hotel looking on to the car park and the back of a restaurant. The room was also next to the hotels rear entrance and was rather noisy on the Saturday evening. Our friends room was at the front of the hotel, again looking onto parked vehicles that were only a few feet from their room. On the first evening a large SUV was parked in front of their room leaving them with no view whatsoever. As a result of the hotel being full, the breakfast area was very crowded. My wife described it as being like a rugby scrum. On the plus side, the hotel is in a convienient location and is reasonably priced for La Jolla. I would probably stay there again if I could be assured that I would be allocated an upper floor rather than a ground floor room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn by the Sea? Share your experiences!