“Make a Different Choice” 1 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
Naperville, Illinois
“Make a Different Choice”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

I would like to start by saying that I have never been moved to write a review for a restaurant. Generally, I am easy to please and find most restaurants to be at a minimum adequate. Unfortunately, my family and I made a bad choice by deciding to go to Bull & Bear. The location is great but that is where the good stops. We only received three of the five items we ordered (and the food wasn't very good) and after approximately 10 minutes had to go find a server to find out what happened. We also ordered a drink that was never delivered. In the end, we just told them to cancel the order for the two missing meals, finished what we had and left as quickly as possible. Don't make the same mistake we did -- go somewhere else.

• Visited April 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Hampton, Virginia
“Blah food, inconsistent service, great view.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

We had a party of eight for lunch, including four kids, after the lunch rush on this al fresco balcony overlooking La Jolla cove park. The server was incredibly attentive when we arrived, asked us to wait five minutes so he could cash out a few tables, clear and then consolidate them "in the shade." It gave us a few minutes to wash hands, use the bathroom, and peruse the menu. True to his word, he prepared a fantastic set up for us, with one umbrella strategically placed to shade the whole table. Before our food arrived, a woman with a distinctive apron emblazoned with the phrase "winey [--]", started (with no plan) moving umbrellas and patio heaters around to accommodate newly arriving guests. I note that all the kids can read and promptly noted the woman's apron. The result was that over half our table, including all the kids, were now in full sun. I am all for sharing shade, but she willy nilly moved the umbrellas with utterly no concept of the angle of the sun, no plan to maximize shade from the building, or that she was now inconveniencing a table of 8 who were already seated. It was rather frustrating, the patio ended up with a bizarre configuration and I was very disgruntled. Another weird thing, she did not apologize or give us any notice that she was going to do this, and instead tried to make it seem like we were wrong to try to make it better. Our server was hustling to get our food out and didn't interfere with this strange event. The food arrived quickly and accurately, but was so blah that it is not at all notable. We had burgers, salads, fish and chips, and wraps. The fish was a big triangle of battered fish, a la the Gorton fisherman. I noticed we all scarfed down every last morsel nonetheless. The "winey [--]" returned to chat us up a little, to be friendly, but never apologized. The view was gorgeous, but had we known we were going to get this weird treatment, we would have hastily chosen to eat al fresco downstairs at the Thai Restaurant and foregone the view. Even though I can't recommend the food, I will say it was pretty cheap. And there you go.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
minnesota
“cool little spot to eat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

surprisingly excellent food. the service was very good.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
San Diego, CA
“Should not be in La Jolla!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2009

Went here on a Sunday for "Yappy Hour" (the happy hour where you can bring your dog), on the recommendation of a friend; This place is a small bar, so I wasn't expecting much. The waiter stated that the food was very good, so we ordered a few of the happy hour appetizer specials and they were inedible...it was bar food, but only worse. The only drink that was discounted for happy hour was some sort of vodka made from grapes that they were doing a promotion for. They failed to tell us that using this vodka in a traditional manner would result in disgusting drinks; my vodka/tonic tasted like flat sprite, and my girlfriend's dirty martini tasted sweet...it was gross. Will never go back and this place has a great location on La Jolla which could be better utilized.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere