“A pleasant discovery” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Iowa City, Iowa
“A pleasant discovery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2007

My wife and I stumbled upon Bernini's for a late lunch one day. Once we were seated, it was hard to remember that Bernini's is right across the street from a busy grocery store. The intimate, relaxed atmosphere and old world decor made it easy to imagine that we were somewhere in Europe. My wife and I split a salmon wrap and house salad. The wrap was excellent, and the salad was much more than what I expected--the greens were crisp and fresh, the dressing was light and tangy, and the carmelized walnuts were a surprise. The service was excellent, and the food was reasonably priced. We enjoyed Bernini's so much, we went back for breakfast a couple days later. My wife ordered their traditional breakfast, eggs and hash browns and toast, while I tried the lemon ricotta pancakes, which were melt-in-your-mouth delicious even without syrup. The coffee was great. If my wife and I ever go back to La Jolla, we'll be sure to stop in again.