“Lost Reservation” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Donovan's of La Jolla is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 1,262 Restaurants in La Jolla
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: La Jolla Village Drive at Genesee
Description: Celebrate Restaurant Week all year long! Enjoy a Chop House Salad, one of three special entrees, and your choice of desserts, all for only $50! Donovan's rich and intimate ambience is enhanced by world-class unobtrusive service. The Chef serves 100% USDA Prime beef 100% of the time. Donovan's wine list of over 700 wines features the best the world has to offer. Wine tasting dinners available. 6 private dining rooms to choose from.
Escondido, California
“Lost Reservation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Even though my reservation was lost and it was a extremely busy night, not only were we seated but seated at our reserved time. The meal was excellent and service beyond expectations, both the front desk and wait staff.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Jessica B, Guest Relations Manager at Donovan's of La Jolla, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Hello Mike,

Thank you for the great review! I am sorry your reservation was lost but that you were quickly accommodated and that everything was absolutely perfect. Thank you for your feedback and for you business, it's greatly appreciated and valued. I hope you'll visit us again soon!

Best Regards,

San Diego, California
“What's with the hate?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I brought my wife here for her birthday dinner and we had a great meal - service was friendly and efficient, drinks refilled, steaks cooked precisely as ordered, sides (onion rings and satueed mushrooms) were flavorful - the only nit I have is that the entrees came out a little too quickly after our starters were cleared (that's a pet peeve of mine). Other than that, we loved it. BTW this was not our first time.

Note - although we weren't seated there, a friend of mine told me she and her husband were seated in a different area from the main dining room and she didn't care for it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Jessica B, Guest Relations Manager at Donovan's of La Jolla, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Hello James M,

Thank you for the great review! I'm really glad that you and your wife had a great time with us for her birthday and that your food was absolutely perfect. Thanks again for your feedback and I hope you'll join us again soon!

Best Regards,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Such a disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We are always looking for a great steakhouse in the San Diego area and have yet to find one. Years ago we tried Donovans, La Jolla and were not impressed. We decided to give it another try. First of all, we walked into a huge crowd of people waiting for tables and after about forty minutes, with no place to sit, we started to check out Opentable on our iPhones for another restaurant. A nice gentlemen, who we found out is a regular customer, saw what we were doing and called over the Manager, who scrambled and found us a table. We realized later that a special Groupon offer brought in the large crowds that evening. However, not honoring reservations has always been a no no and a deal breaker for me. We will not return. P.S. the food was below average.

Visited September 2013
Jessica B, Guest Relations Manager at Donovan's of La Jolla, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Hello Priscilla S,

I would like to offer my sincerest apologies about the way your reservation was mishandled. We have had a very large influx of diners in recent weeks due to our Living Social promotion. This is no excuse on our part and I would like to apologize again for your experience. Will you please reach out to me so we can continue this discussion? Management has been made aware of this issue and we are working to remedy the situation. Thank you for your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you.

Carlsbad, California
“Excellent Steak and Chop House”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

My wife and I had dinner (during restaurant week) at Donovan's. This was not our first experience here and it won't be the last. The décor is typical of what you'd expect in an upscale steakhouse. We had our cocktails in the bar area during the ten-minute wait for our table (we had arrived about ten minutes early). The bar staff was courteous, prompt and professional. The bar area is on the noisy side, about what you'd expect in a place where people were having fun and enjoying themselves. Their menu is extensive and pricey (also what you'd expect). The specials that night included a big chop and an Australian lobster tail (both in the $70 range). My wife opted for the seared Ahi ($40) and I had the rib eye steak ($51). Both were done exactly as ordered and the presentation was great. Jonathan, our server, and his cohorts were attentive to our needs without smothering. We also had a side of creamed spinach and it was delicious. Neither of us could finish our entrees and they returned our take-home items in a nice bag discreetly set down next to my chair. Each item was in a separate closed container; a very nice touch. All in all it was a thoroughly enjoyable dinner experience although the noise level in the dining room area where we were was a bit on the high side; a very minor note.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Jessica B, Guest Relations Manager at Donovan's of La Jolla, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Hello Gordonc11,

Thank you very much for your kind review! I'm very pleased to hear that you received such great service and that you and your wife enjoyed your meals from start to finish. Thank you again for your feedback and for your business, it's greatly valued and appreciated. I hope you'll join us again soon!

Okawville Illinois
“Perfect Dining Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We dined at Donovan's with a large group having made reservations ahead of time. Some of us ordered off the menu and some got group appetizers. Every step of our meal was carefully attended to. The seating staff and wait staff were so very attentive and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble. Everyone in our group was so pleased with their food and the service we received. Donovan's is a very special place, An added bonus is that Donovan's has a van that can accomodate larger groups to shuttle you back and forth from hotels. We used this service, and it was a great way to go. That way you can enjoy the wonderful wines on the extensive list and all the other drinks available and not worry about driving back to your hotel.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Jessica B, Guest Relations Manager at Donovan's of La Jolla, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Hello GollliniMom,

I'd just like to thank you for your positive review. I'm very pleased to hear that you and your group had such an amazing time at our restaurant and that the staff took excellent care of you from start to finish. I'm also very glad you took advantage of our Donovan! Thank you again for your feedback and your business, it's greatly valued and appreciated. I hope you'll join us on your next trip!