“Yummy but slooooooooooow” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
La Jolla Brew House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #129 of 1,262 Restaurants in La Jolla
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Los Angeles, California
“Yummy but slooooooooooow”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

I've been twice now, once on a weekend, once on a weekday, and the experience was identical:

Pros: Food is super yummy and exceptionally well prepared; Options for everyone; Dog friendly (really nice covered patio); When the waitress notices you, she's very friendly; Interesting beer options; Nice casual atmosphere

Cons: Pretty much never experienced such slow service, it's almost comical (except you're hungry!); The women's bathroom is a mess (no paper towels or toilet seat covers either time, tho the second time there was a basket of napkins....); Both times the waitress messed up someone's order at least once; The parking is a nightmare-- even if you can get in, good luck getting out

I'll be back for the food and the laid back vibe (plus, dog friendly!), but expect to wait a whiiile (both visits were around 2 hours, and not by choice)

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

San Diego, CA
“Good food; VERY slow service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

This place has potential. I like the way the restaurant is set up - indoor tables & booths & a patio with a fire pit. Parking is an issue. The lot next to the restaurant is very small, both in area & size of the individual parking spaces; but this issue is not exclusive to this restaurant as parking in La Jolla in general is difficult to find. Upon entering the restaurant, we were greeted by a very friendly & outgoing male who seated us after cleaning the table at the booth we chose. We waited an EXTREMELY long time before our waitress appeared. After she took our drink order, we waited a VERY long time for our beers to be served. Once our food order arrived, I must say our party of 4 was happy with the food. The waitress was very friendly. I don't really blame her for the slow service as she seemed to be overworked by the number of tables she was serving. When I went to the restroom, there were no paper towels to dry one's hands after washing, so this is another example of this establishment being understaffed. My overall opinion of this place is that it COULD be a fun & good place to go out for drinks & food, but the slow service will make this a one-time only visit for me. IF they had proper staffing, I think the place would be a great drinking/dining experience to which I would make return visits & recommend to friends.

• Visited February 2012
minneapolis, MN
“Good food, good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

Pretty good food for a brewhouse. The
place was hopping the Sat. night we were
there, but luckily we got a table before
it got packed. Our server was friendly
and patient. Although they seemd a little
understaffed, things moved along pretty
well, with even the manager (I think) helping
out on the floor. If you're going for food on
a week-end, get there early.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Diego, California
1,359 helpful votes 1,359 helpful votes
“Great burgers..... very slow service.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

I have to TOTALLY agree with Oceanside's post. The food was actually good. It's just the service is way way way slow.

I went with my wife the other night. We often times go for strolls along side the ocean in La Jolla as it's so beautiful. We went to the grocery store right there across the street when we spotted it. There was no parking space in the restaurant as they only had a few spots. But since we went shopping at the grocery store we figured it would be ok to park in the grocery parking lot so we did.

The place was actually packed. We went on friday night and it was happy hour. We don't drink alcohol so we didn't drink any beer but plenty of people were.

We started out with an appetizer of Bruschetta and it was actually REALLY good with homemade bread. My wife got a burger and I got a brat that came with sauerkraut. My brat wasn't that good and my wife's burger was so good I ended up getting one too. The burger had a lot of flavor and the bread tasted fresh.

The staff was friendly but I have to say it was VERY VERY slow. It took forever. There was a manager (black guy) that was going around to tables introducing himself. But personally I think they should take him to utilize his time more and either take orders or help the wait staff as they were slow.

The place was packed with people eating. One thing that really surprised us was there were TONS of families with young kids eating here. They did have a kids menu but we couldn't figure out why so many young kids were in this bar restaurant. We just thought it was a bit odd.

I'd go back for a burger but I'd hope the wait times improved. Even getting our check took a good 15 minutes.

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Diego, CA
“Relax with Good Beer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

My husband and I went last week to La Jolla Brew House and it was a nice place to enjoy a drink and relax. The bar wasn't too large or too loud. The staff is friendly and helpful with beer selections. You can tell there are regulars who come often and we may become one of them.

• Visited January 2012