“A bit disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Steakhouse at Azul La Jolla is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #54 of 1,261 Restaurants in La Jolla
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Doing business, Scenic view, Bar scene, Entertaining clients, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: Located on fashionable Prospect Street, tucked in alongside La Jolla's most exclusive shops, boutiques and galleries, The Steakhouse at Azul La Jolla is La Jolla village's premier ocean-view steakhouse. The Steakhouse at Azul La Jolla serves 100% USDA prime-aged steaks, chops, poultry and a variety of fresh seafood. Outdoors, a garden courtyard patio features starlight dining around a contemporary glass-encircled fire ring. A casual patio menu is available, with amazing Happy Hour specials offered daily. $7 drinks, $1 off all beers, and a variety of food items for $10 or less. Indoors, floor-to-ceiling windows shamelessly reveal why The Steakhouse at Azul La Jolla was voted best in its class. An intimate private Wine Room is glass-surrounded, insuring unobstructed views of the Pacific Coastline.
Richardson, Texas
“A bit disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

The view of the ocean from the dining room is wonderful, and the sunset is pretty spectacular too.

I had high expectations based on some reviews, and the person who recommended the restaurant to me. However, I was disappointed with the food and service.

It happened to be restaurant week and our party ordered the three-course meals from that menu. Because some of the sides on the regular menu sounded so good we decided to order a couple of those in addition to the fixed meals. Unfortunately, when the dinners come out the sides didn't. I asked our server and he told me it would just be a couple of minutes. Well, as we're about to finish our main courses our server comes over and says "there was a mix-up in the kitchen" and it would be a few more minutes. He asked "should I just cancel the sides?" and we said yes. It didn't make sense at this point since we were essentially done....

While the food was good, it really wasn't as spectacular as I had expected. We enjoyed our meals (Small filets for some - scallops for others), but nobody raved or even really complemented the food. It was just kind of well....okay.... I'm glad we didn't spend a boat load of money ordering off the regular menu based on the food we had.

If you want a nice view and nice surroundings this place works, but if you're looking for a really high-end dinner you might want to try somewhere else....

• 3 of 5 stars Food

Nashville, TN
“Romantic Atmosphere & Fabulous Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

A perfect indoor view of sunset and a food menu too full of great options and an excellent wine list. We ordered too much, but were the envy of everyone around us on the SWA flight home the next day when we enjoyed some prime filet & ribeye for lunch.

Visited September 2012
Indiana
“The View is outstanding, the food is ok, the wine is very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

What will I remember about this restaurant? That the views were wonderful....from inside the restaurant because the balcony smelled like dead fish due to the heat and humidity. Gag! and the ceiling dome was so beautiful I took pictures. And the wine was good. The food was ok, nothing memorable...not the best steak ever, but still a good steak. Loved the mashed potatoes. Don't order the basil risotto unless you REALLY like basil. It came out a strange neon green color and the basil overpowered everything. Service was EXCELLENT, especially Judy.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
San Diego, California
“Outstanding View”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

You feel like you are eating on the Ocean, like if you were on a cruise.
The ambience is very nice, great service and good food! I recommend it

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Reseda, California, United States
“Great views, great food, no creativity on presentations though.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Went to dinner at just the right time to see the sunset as we were finishing up. Food was served promptly and was very good-not quite the best steak I've had but pretty close. As I mentioned though, they are not really fancy with their dish presentations. What you see on the menu is what you get. I had mashed potatoes with my steak and that's what I got-a blob of white mash with my steak next to it-no garnishing, sauce, other food, etc. Another person in our party had the same thing, except his looked a little better since he had vegetables thrown on the side. Also, there was a moth flying around all the tables in our area-I thought at least four staff members noticed but didn't do anything. You can't beat the ocean views though. Waiter, Aaron, was very good and made us feel welcome.

• Visited August 2012