“great view, without going to LaJolla cove” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Crab Catcher is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #57 of 1,274 restaurants in La Jolla
Cuisines: Coffee Shop, Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Romance, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Scenic view, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Cave St.
Transit: On Torrey Pines Road at Prospect Place, two blocks from the restaurant.
Azle, Texas
“great view, without going to LaJolla cove”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

We were looking for the top rated, view restaurants in La Jolla on a Saturday afternoon when we got trapped in the traffic jam at La Jolla cove. We got out, and started just driving north on Prospect St, and found the CrabCatcher. The fish tacos ($3 each, happy hour) and the crab cake (big pieces of crab, almost no filler, one of the best I have ever had) were excellent and good sized. You are now one street north of the Cove, and can park with a valet or turn east for cheap parking lots. The restaurant is down 2 stair flights, and has an outdoor patio (and 2 inside dining rooms) with spectacular views at the top of the cliffs. We watched the coast, kayakers, and hot air balloons while we ate. After we paid, we walked out the back of the Crabcatcher, and were at one of the sea caves with only a small fraction of the people in LaJolla cove. There were many seals, pelicans, gulls, and comorants there.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

69% Recommend
Zama, Japan
“Great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Walking around the Cove today, I decided to drop into the Crab Catcher for a bite to eat before I traveled back home. I sat down to have the crab ravioli followed by the fish and chips. The crab ravioli was great! There were about 7 or 8 raviolis mixed with mushrooms and brought together with a thick sauce that had a hint of lemon in it. The dish was not drowned in sauce, which was good. After that, I had the fish and chips. Those fish and chips were amazing. The Alaskan Cod was fried to just the right point. The chips were well, potato chips.

The view was good, I was able to sit outside and could see the water. If you are worried about the smell, consider this: There is a community of seals down there on the beach. The winds shift. It is true that the smell is unpleasant. But it is part of the wildlife habitat. Some places in the Cove experience a stronger smell then others. It depends on the winds. Fortunately for me and my fellow diners, I did not experience the smell of the seals while eating at the Cove. Also, if you happen to stop by on a chilly day and want to sit outside, the Crab Catcher has outdoor heaters mounted up on the walls facing the tables.

If you do happen to visit on a day when the winds waft the smell through the Cove, the Crab Catcher has more than enough indoor seating. There is also a room that can be reserved for various functions.

The menu is a bit pricey. But, I was at a restaurant in Southern California. A stone's throw away from the beach where I can see the ocean and hear the seals. So yes, you are paying for the overall dining experience.

I would come back and I would bring my friends with me.

• Visited November 2013
Palm Springs, California
“Nicest meal I have ever had!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Well, maybe it's a "who's the chef in the kitchen tonight" that there is mixed reviews on this place. But I had a 5 star dining experience on 9/29/13. The view was breathtaking from our table and the food was the best I have ever had anywhere! We came in with a groupon which took $100.00 off the tab, making it a reasonable VERY nice meal. I and my friend started off with the CRAB BISQUE-$12.00 each, which was sooooooo good. Then we split the MAINE LOBSTER & BERING SEA RED KING CRAB LEGS & GRILLED PRAWNS -$120. We were both full as ticks when we left and very, very happy! The meal we had was huge- a whole lobster not a just a tail, huge king crab legs, big prawns..... and with that groupon, really, where else are you going to get a feast like that for what averaged $22.00 a piece minus tip :) Our waiter was very sweet and attentative. I would go again, I wish I lived closer!!!!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Englewood
“Beautiful view lovely place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Our intent was to go to George's on the Cove but it was too chilly and frankly smelly from the sea lions. So we went to the Crab Catcher for the first time. We chose to sit inside due to the chill and had a great view and were entertained by rock climbers, swimmers and kyakers. The food was very good and beautifully prepared. It was a lovely lunch place. We were glad we stumbled on it.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
San Diego
“The smell is not gone!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We decided to revisit the Crab Catcher for lunch. The smell was still bad even though they said they had fixed it. On such a lovely day we had to sit inside. We did have a nice view. The service was good and attentive. I ordered the crab cake sandwich, It was old crab, way to much mayo and really quite terrible. Person I was with ordered the crab ravioli. Not much crab and in general a very lack luster meal. Won't be back.

• Visited September 2013