“Ah just another san diego restaurant” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Nine-Ten is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 1,261 Restaurants in La Jolla
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Californian, Bistro
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Girard
Description: An ongoing commitment to innovative cuisine using only the freshest local produce makes NINE-TEN a must visit for culinary aficionados. This intimate restaurant, led by chef Jason Knibb and pastry chef Rachel King, offers the perfect combination of sophistication and casual elegance and an ideal location along La Jolla's Prospect Street. Enjoy the best of the harvest from local artisan farmers, where produce is selected daily for the restaurant's Evolving California Cuisine. The bounty of the sea is also featured with local fish selections and items arriving daily from Hawaii and the North Pacific and Atlantic regions. Special prix fixe menus are available and feature matching wines from the extensive wine cellar. Enjoy dining indoors or on the sidewalk patio or ocean-view terrace. A separate bar offers limited menu and happy hour specials daily. Open daily for breakfast and lunch and dinner nightly.
north county
“Ah just another san diego restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

It is almost impossible to find a good restaurant in sandiego. I visited Nine Ten on a Saturday Night, the dinning room was about half full and the bar was packed (i should have eaten there). The second i sat down I was allready offered water, drinks, & bread awesome!!! It took us a while to decide on the menu and our awesome french waiter suggested the $80per person 5 course meal, so we decided to take his suggestion. We recieved the first coure; Duck Salad (good) & The Beet Salad (very poor) its almost like the Chef forgot to use salt. Then The Fish Course, presented very nicely but it was luke warm at the most & once again no salt. The Meat Course was good. Chicken was very tender, & The Lamb was cook very nicely. For The Fourth Course Ths Cheese Plate "really" Wow what a bummer! Old cheese is my favorite ;) The Spanish Blue tasted like amonia, & The Tome de Savoy was dry as can be. Then The Desserts came I recieved The "Dry" Walnut Cake thats all i need to say, My Partner recieved a Cheese Tart (good).
Over all for $300 i would have rather gone to Chilis 3 times, but oh well!

A Few Tips
Go to The Bar
Ask for salt& pepper
Order your food without Golden Rasins ( I think 4 course out of 5 had them)
& Ask for the French Male Server

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
GrandeColonial, Director of Marketing at Nine-Ten, responded to this review, October 27, 2009
Thank you very much for taking the time to tell us about your recent visit to NINE-TEN. I am sorry to hear that your dinner experience did not fully meet your expectations. Please know that I have forwarded your comments to our chef who will be addressing them with our entire culinary team. Let me also thank you for the positive feedback you gave about your "French server". His name is Thierry and we too think he does an excellent job. Thank you again for your feedback. We hope you will have an opportunity to dine with us again in the future.

Leslie Araiza
Director of Marketing
NINE-TEN Restaurant & Bar

Lexington, Kentucky
“Best Steak, Best Chicken I've ever had. Honestly.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

When our original choice for dining on a recent night in La Jolla had a 45 min wait, we found a local guy on the street who recommended Nine Ten. In a nutshell, while it is pretty expensive, it was a fantastic meal! We had the flat iron steak ($26 I believe) and Roasted Chicken ($24 or so), more than we would normally pay, but the balance of flavors, and interesting side pairings made this quite a special meal. I felt like I could have had three more plates (based on taste, not hunger! The portion size was perfect for both dishes!) Service was friendly but not over-bearing. The only possible complaint would be our water glasses did get empty a couple of times before we were offered more water. We will be returning to San Diego in February and definitely plan to return to Nine Ten.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“Get ready for the very highest level of cooking.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

This is possibly the best restaurant we have been to in a long time, although Osteria Matza, Rivera, and a couple others in L.A., in Italy, and Cyrus in Wine Country are close runners-up. This one killer appetizer is drawing us back down there: lobster tortellini with black truffles and corn. The flavors were astounding. The other appetizer, Maine Lobster and Dungeness crab chopped salad in aspic was exceptional also. When we were there, they had flown in fresh Dover sole from Great Brittain and the preparation was worthy of the effort to get it. Great wines and excellent service from the waiter, Chris, who is very knowledgeable about wine and upscale dining. There must have been an unusual circumstance to explain the negative service reviews in TA. The dessert was good, but next time we will have the signature chocolate cake. The low price is due to their prix fixe menu.
The ambiance rating is for the terrace, not the inside dining room.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Santa Monica, California
“Terrible breakfast service twice in 2009”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

We visit La Jolla once or twice a year from Santa Monica. In March, my husband had a very unpleasant experience at breakfast -- slow-to-no service, cold coffee, cold food, nobody coming. He finally left and went to the Cottage on Fay where he had a very good experience. We stay at the Grande Colonial, which houses Nine-Ten, but I am not sure of the relationship between the hotel and the restaurant. This past weekend, we stayed there again and decided to give Nine-Ten another try for breakfast. Since my husband had spoken to the manager last March about the problems, we thought they might have improved. Not so! This time I experienced myself the following: I sat for at least 10 minutes while servers passed by and even made eye contact, but offered not a menu nor any service. I finally got up from my seat and approched the bus girl, who had been walking back and forth. I said, "Can you please tell me what I have to do to get a cup of coffee?" She looked shocked, but brought it right away. Nearby was a family of four who had been seated before we arrived, and we saw that they still, 20 minutes later, did not have any service. Our server passed by several more times, going where? To take care of what? There were plenty of servers, we counted at least three plus the bus girl. I finally got a menu, but then no one came to take my order. It took my husband getting out of his seat to find the manager (same exact manager as in March!) to complain that we weren't getting service. He was outright unconcerned. He even smirked! Finally I did get my toast and bacon, and the manager took care of the bill. But never again will we give this place another chance. They don't deserve it.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Arizona
“Breakfast out on the terrace was a great way to start the day.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

We had a delicious breakfast served out on the terrace with an ocean view. My husband and I both ordered the two egg breakfast which came with hashbrowns, toast, and 4 pieces of either bacon or sausage. The food was served just as ordered and the service was good. A great way to start the day!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere