“Amazing views, good food” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Shores Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #118 of 1,262 Restaurants in La Jolla
Cuisines: American, French, Seafood, Californian
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Outdoor seating, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Avenida de la Playa
“Amazing views, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Best thing about dining at the Shores is the beach view - which is magnificent! Food is consistently good, for reasonable prices. We go often for lunch; usually not too crowded, so it's a nice break.

Visited May 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Tucson, Arizona
“Delicious Breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Was not very hungry, but somehow the plate was empty when I was done! It was delicious. Great view of the ocean was super nice! The staff was great. A little expensive to eat there every morning though.

Visited June 2013
Mesa, Arizona
“Great view, very good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We started with the Framer's Market beet salad. For me, there were not enough of the yellow beets! The greens were fresh and crisp and the candied walnuts were tasty but for a beet salad, I expect more than were provided here.
I had Chef Oani’s Dynamite Shrimp which were very tasty although I'd prefer a little more fire in the pepper infused, five spice molasses. The risotto with spinach was well prepared and seasoned and complimented the five large shrimp rather well.
I tried the pineapple upside down cake for dessert. This was quite good and the dulce de leche ice cream went well with soft, moist cake. My only suggestion would be to use crystallized ginger in place of the candied ginger as a garnish. The candied ginger reminded me of fruit cake at first taste. I got over that though, so all is well.
As with many of these beach/hotel restaurants, understaffing or perhaps training affects the level of service. We were forced to flag down our server more than once and we were presented with somebody else's check at the end of our meal.
Note: Although the view is terrific, be aware that the large windows do allow the setting sun to shine right in, forcing me to switch seats to avoid the blinding rays.

Visited June 2013
Orihuela, Spain
“Great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

This is in a beautiful location right on the beach in La Jolla . Food and service are really good. Would definitely recommend if you are up there.

Visited May 2013
San Diego, California
“Blah.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Service and cleanliness are three and a half stars. Location and parking four. Food is what gives this restaurant, in my opinion, a two-star review.

I came to know about The Shores from a friend of a friend that celebrated a birthday in this restaurant. The menu looks fantastic on paper, and possibly if you do not care where your food comes from --in particular the fish options-- you will be fine. The fish options are farmed and I do not care for farmed fish. I rather go without.

The House Organic Greens salad was good, and the Puree of Rutabaga soup was tasty.

• Visited August 2012