“Hidden Gem for Vietnamese!” 5 of 5 stars

Update restaurant details
Ranked #120 of 1,275 restaurants in La Jolla
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Hidden Gem for Vietnamese!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

My wife and I had a late much here earlier this week. This is a small place on Fay Avenue but it isn't easy to spot from the street; there is a small sign we only saw after we walked up to it, and a sidewalk placard that was almost completely hidden by the cars parked along the street. The cafe itself is back from the street along a small alleyway of little shops. There is some parking behind this place but again, no sign to tell you this. The entrance is a driveway a few doors north of the restaurant on Fay. The cafe itself is small with mostly indoor seating and a few outdoor tables; the atmosphere is nothing special. The food, however, was top notch and the servers were all friendly. They told us they have only been in business 11 months. I had the Pho Bo (Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup) which was excellent but be warned, the portions are HUGE. I still ate all of it, it was that good. My wife had a Com (rice) plate with shredded pork, and we agreed it was excellent as well. The salad which came on her plate had a wonderful sesame dressing. We ordered egg rolls which was totally unnecessary, given the huge portion sizes, but they were excellent as well. We're not locals here so I can't compare this to any other Vietnamese places in and around San Diego, but we thought this place was excellent and I highly recommend it!

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

% Recommend
San Diego, California
1,321 helpful votes 1,321 helpful votes
“Pleasant surprise in La Jolla.....Very fresh food...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I had a pleasant surprise last week and a nice meal here. My wife and I were craving some Pho noodles so we tried going to another place but they were closed the entire week of Thanksgiving. So we looked online and read about a new Vietnamese restaurant.

We decided to try it and glad we did. Pleiku is new. I'm not sure how long it's been around but it looked to be newly renovated.

They have a nice selection on their menu with some traditional Vietnamese stuff and some more modern type items. It wasn't too crowded but we did see a few people coming to get take out while we ate there.

We ordered some egg rolls and they were very good. Nice and fresh and great flavor. My wife ordered the Chicken Pho and I got the Beef Pho and it was really fresh and great. The big size portion is VERY big so keep that in mind.

However, it was so good I ate my entire big bowl. My wife got the smaller sized but she said hers was also delicious. Also, definitely try the homemade iced tea. It was VERY good. It had some blend of flavors in it. I think ginger and some other things. Very good. My wife got the same tea except a hot tea and she also loved it.

Our waitress was very friendly. (I forget her name but she is the one with a bit of pink hair). She was nice and kept checking if we needed anything.

They have tables inside and a few outside as well. Definitely I'd recommend this place and I'll be back here. And they also had some parking in the parking lot next to them which is nice as parking in this area can be brutally hard to find.

• Visited November 2012