“Good eats & friendly service” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #39 of 1,262 Restaurants in La Jolla
Cuisines: American, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Description: SpecialtiesThe Whisknladle Crew is pleased to welcome you to Prepkitchen. Prepkitchen was inspired by our never-ending quest to make our food from scratch and then driven by physical limitations of Whisknladle's tiny kitchen. At first it was nothing more than chicken scratch and a logistical nightmare but over time it blossomed into what it is today; our casual quick bite eatery, take out joint and gourmet market.Soups - Salads - Sandwiches - Antipasti - Entrees - Fresh Pastas - House Cured Meats Artisan Cheeses - Beer - WineMeet the Business Owner: Arturo K.What first started as an off the cuff partnership between a hungry & talented chef (Ryan Johnston)in need of a kitchen and a desperate culinary school drop out in need of a chef (Arturo Kassel) hasblossomed over the last 4 years into Whisknladle Hospitality.Together with our committed and passionate managing partners and our patient angel investors (?), we've continued to grow from one small and ambitious little restaurant to a small little restaurant group with even bigger ambitions.Since opening Whisknladle's doors in 2008, our company's mission has been to bring good food, good wine & great people together.Culinarily speaking, we take a back to the future approach to cooking by working with seasonal & farm to table products and taking the time to make most of our food from scratch; the way it used to be, they way it ought to be.
McLean, Virginia
“Good eats & friendly service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

My girlfriends & I ate there for lunch & loved the food. We shared a few items & they were nice enough to put in separate plates. Nice outdoor patio & service was great. Would recommend.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Tel Aviv, Israel
“Excellent food. Funky service. Most enjoyable. No espresso.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Just had dinner at Prep Kitchen and it was wonderful. The menu is large enough to cover everything you might need but short enough that it's manageable. The service is good, chatty, and friendly.

Of course all of this would be for naught if not for the food. And that was great. We ordered roast chicken, salmon, and mussels and all three dishes were just fantastic. They also had a very selection of beers and a large but undistinguished selection of wines.

We had a fantastic time and I'll definitely go back for the food. My only complaint, and it's not an insignificant one is that they do not have espresso or any espresso drinks. I don't expect my corner lunch counter to have espresso (although some of them do), but Prep Kitchen holds itself to a higher standard. Their dishes are supposed to be just so much better than average and for them to not have good coffee to serve is a serious oversight.

You might have guessed, I take my coffee as seriously as I take my beer. I don't know if there's life after death, but there certainly is no life before coffee. Prep Kitchen should be ashamed of themselves.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bergen
“Nice patio and friendy service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I loved their dining area outdoors although everybody is seated really closely together, so no good for private conversation. As I was travelling for business, I was by myself, and that was absolutely fine. The staff were really friendly and made me feel really welcome. The fish course that I had was nice enough, but I didn't love how they drowned it in bacon fat. It did sound even nicer on paper than it tasted. The girl serving didn't know much about wine, but she went inside for help and offered me a taste of different white wines for me to choose, which I thought was really nice.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
La Jolla, California
“Best meal, and best value in La Jolla”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

This is my favorite restaurant in La Jolla. It never disappoints. It may not have the views as all the fancier restaurants on Prospect, but it does have amazing local food. The menus are constantly changing, and I have never had a bad dish. The best part is Prepkitchen is about half of the price to comparable restaurants in La Jolla. You must try this place!

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Fantastic dinner in La Jolla”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

We loved our dinner, sitting on the outdoor patio at Prep Kitchen. The ambiance, service and food were all great. The menu has something for everyone - we shared the cheese plate, a few salads, the pasta norma and fish and every dish was fresh, tasty and well prepared. We would definitely recommend eating here and look forward to returning when we are in La Jolla again.

• Visited July 2011