“Nice patio and friendy service” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #51 of 1,261 Restaurants in La Jolla
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: SpecialtiesThe Whisknladle Crew is pleased to welcome you to Prepkitchen. Prepkitchen was inspired by our never-ending quest to make our food from scratch and then driven by physical limitations of Whisknladle's tiny kitchen. At first it was nothing more than chicken scratch and a logistical nightmare but over time it blossomed into what it is today; our casual quick bite eatery, take out joint and gourmet market.Soups - Salads - Sandwiches - Antipasti - Entrees - Fresh Pastas - House Cured Meats Artisan Cheeses - Beer - WineMeet the Business Owner: Arturo K.What first started as an off the cuff partnership between a hungry & talented chef (Ryan Johnston)in need of a kitchen and a desperate culinary school drop out in need of a chef (Arturo Kassel) hasblossomed over the last 4 years into Whisknladle Hospitality.Together with our committed and passionate managing partners and our patient angel investors (?), we've continued to grow from one small and ambitious little restaurant to a small little restaurant group with even bigger ambitions.Since opening Whisknladle's doors in 2008, our company's mission has been to bring good food, good wine & great people together.Culinarily speaking, we take a back to the future approach to cooking by working with seasonal & farm to table products and taking the time to make most of our food from scratch; the way it used to be, they way it ought to be.
Bergen
“Nice patio and friendy service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I loved their dining area outdoors although everybody is seated really closely together, so no good for private conversation. As I was travelling for business, I was by myself, and that was absolutely fine. The staff were really friendly and made me feel really welcome. The fish course that I had was nice enough, but I didn't love how they drowned it in bacon fat. It did sound even nicer on paper than it tasted. The girl serving didn't know much about wine, but she went inside for help and offered me a taste of different white wines for me to choose, which I thought was really nice.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

La Jolla, California
“Best meal, and best value in La Jolla”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

This is my favorite restaurant in La Jolla. It never disappoints. It may not have the views as all the fancier restaurants on Prospect, but it does have amazing local food. The menus are constantly changing, and I have never had a bad dish. The best part is Prepkitchen is about half of the price to comparable restaurants in La Jolla. You must try this place!

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Toronto, Canada
“Fantastic dinner in La Jolla”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

We loved our dinner, sitting on the outdoor patio at Prep Kitchen. The ambiance, service and food were all great. The menu has something for everyone - we shared the cheese plate, a few salads, the pasta norma and fish and every dish was fresh, tasty and well prepared. We would definitely recommend eating here and look forward to returning when we are in La Jolla again.

• Visited July 2011
oxford
“Charming, cozy, delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

We had a wonderful lunch on the outdoor heated patio/enclosure. The inside was quaint. So much on the menu was tempting. The choices varied from burgers to vegetarian salads and delicious homemade soups. I settled on a wonderful pannini and my husband had a carrot soup and salad. Well worth a visit.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Sweet relief in La Jolla - down home delicious hip spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

We found the Prep Kitchen in La Jolla after a botched dinner attempt at The Marine Room (which was waaaay too stuffy for our tastes...reminded me of an outdated country club...no thanks!) and what a relief it was to find delicious, local, but very sophisticated food at this fun, modern rustic eatery. Would have gone back again if we were in town longer. Would recommend this for couples, families and solo travelers alike, and dream about it until I can get back again. The chicken under a brick was one of the best chicken meals I've ever had. Just lovely.

• Visited October 2011