“Rosepetals on our anniversary...” 4 of 5 stars

Package Deal
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Philadelphia, PA
“Rosepetals on our anniversary...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2005

We just completed a short stay at Estancia for our 3rd anniversary and had a very enjoyable time. We stayed over the Christmas holiday and noticed the parking woes other reviewers had noted almost immediately; their system is particularly awkward with the construction of a new antique brick driveway. The first impression is really quite unattractive. We attempted check-in around 1:30, but were told our room wasn't yet available- not a huge surprise, since I don't believe check-in officially starts until 3, but still a downer. We were told that someone would call our mobile phone when the room was ready, but when 3:30 arrived with no phone call, we re-visited the front desk and finally left with our keys. We had secured a travelzoo free double upgrade, so our room had a decent-sized balcony overlooking a lovely courtyard with a large fountain we could hear in our room. The room was a good size, and the bathroom was larger than average. Everything was meticulously clean, a big plus in my book! Great furnishings, soothing color choices, and a well-appointed bathroom. Our biggest compliment: upon our return from dinner, we found rose petals strewn all over the room and set in a heart on the bed. I had mentioned to the front desk at check-in that it was our anniversary, and with the top-notch customer service of the finest hotels, they had exceeded our expectations! To me, this more than made up for our earlier unpleasantries. I would definitely return, especially for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed December 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2005

The Estancia La Jolla is gorgeous- very nice without being overdone. I was there on weekend trip and it proved to be a great local getaway for us (we live in LA County).

Major +'s: outdoor fireplaces are wonderful to have dinner next to or to sip cranberry sangria, pool/grounds were gorgeous, spa/gym, close to beach, quiet and secluded (at least during the holidays)

Could have been better: I was a little surprised that the hotel was virtually on the UCSD campus, they were repairing the front driveway, $9 "hospitality fee"- shouldn't that be included in the room price?, rooms were a little small- none had whirpool tubs or fireplaces.

Overall, a nice getaway for So Cal-ers and a fabulous place to stay on business.

• Stayed December 2005
Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2005

The Estancia was great. I was looking for a place to stay that would be worth the first time I left my baby at home to travel overnight, and the Estancia delivered. I have been raving about it ever since.

It's not cheap, and the parking and hospitality tack-ons are a turn-off, but if you figure on adding them in when you book to get a better idea of what you're really going to pay, it won't be such a surprise.

$15 a night for parking keeps the UCSD students (whose quiet, peaceful dorms are across the street) from crowding the lot. My husband and i never had a problem parking immediately in front of the access door. And I suppose the $9 hospitality fee wouldn't be so bad if you used their small, but apparently state of the art work out facilites.

Their spa services aren't exorbitantly priced like most hotel/spa combos can be, and I have to tell you this: I had the BEST massage I ever have had in my life (and I've had about 40+) from Diane. I would drive the hour it takes to get from my house down there just to experience her again. The staff was VERY accomodating when I cancelled my appt. due to a sudden illness and made sure to ask how I was when I arrived the next day, and reminded me to drink lots of water because the massage would flush out more toxins.

The rooms were medium size, cozy, and quiet, except for when you turned on the heat/air, and then WHOOSH! the fans were forceful. It was great white noise, though, and I reccomend it to anyone who has a hard time sleeping. We coudn't hear the couple next door to us, and we made sure to request a courtyard facing room which was GREAT! Also, as a tip, you should request the courtyard with the big fountain as it makes a huge, lovely splashing sound.

Bathrooms were marble consoles and separate privys. The tub and show were a bit "normal" for a "spa" hotel, and the was kind of a bummer, but the water was hot and the pressure great (this is from people who travel internationally a lot!) The beds had down comforters and lovely pillows that felt like home.

The other bummer was that only local channels were free; anything else you had to pay for, but we got a PPV movie and lounged around in our jammies watching a movie for less than going to the theater. The TV system is easy to use, but the "Automated Checkout" system was nonfuctional when we were there. You had to check out in person, which I prefer anyway.

Oh, almost forgot! I called the front desk at 7am and asked that they bring up a plunger for the stopped-up toilet (don't ask) and they didn't send up a plunger; they sent up a MAINTENANCE MAN in ten minutes who plunged for me. Sheesh! The was embarrasing but SO nice.

We drank at their Bodega (good prices for wines) and the barkeep was a young UCSD student who handled a drunk and belligerent woman at the counter with grace and style. I think his name was Chris. We also split a meal at the El Adobe and it was SUPERB. Service was light, but attentive exactly when needed. Dessert failed, though. A chocolate cake that was supposed to be melty in the middle was dry and disappointing. (We were a bit sauced by that point anyway.)

Overall, I will be back again when the budget allows. Book through their own website and you've got better guarantees than those "discount" places. We got a great king room for under $200 a night.
Masseuse Diane: I'm saving up for the next great massage!!

• Stayed November 2005
houston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2005

We booked via Travelocity and got the $199 breakfast/bed combo. The hotel does resemble a scaled down version of La Quinta in Palm Springs but is not nearly as luxurious.

The location is non descript. It's set off a major road in La Jolla. You have to drive to get any really nice views of the ocean or the town.

The deluxe room we booked was next to the outside access door that slammed shut loud enough to hear in the room. The room looked out onto a nondescript courtyard and out balcony was a whopping 6 inches wide. Yes, 6 inches. It made us laugh.

The room was clean and the bedding was nice. The TV in the room was a bit dated for my liking and the sound was really bad. The shower in the room had no water pressure.

The staff was nice enough but nothing out of the ordinary in terms of service.

We had a couples massage at the Spa. The masseuse I had, Ed was wonderful. The Spa itself was lacking in atmosphere. The towels were thin and old, the water pressure was low in the showers and the soaps and amenities were low end.

The breakfast buffet was mediocre as well. Scrambled eggs, an egg casserole, bacon, sausage and hotcakes along with a continental buffet. Sunday's buffet was a little better with the addition of an omelet station.

Overall, this hotel was average. Nothing spectacular.

A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2005

We recently returned from a trip to San Diego and stayed in the Estancia hotel in LaJolla. The hotel was very nice and the rooms were clean.

We were not told of charges when we checked in that would eventually be made to the room, specifically a $9.00 per night hospitality charge which is basically a charge given to you for tea service in your room and use of the small work out room and the option to use their fax machine, and a $15.00 per night parking charge for self parking!
When we booked the package online through a travel site, the "hotel fee" was listed as being included. The total fees amounted to an extra $25.00 a night!
When we brought this up to the manager she did not care and made us pay the parking fee anyway.

Parking was a nightmare due to the constant daily conventions and wedding activities. Not something you would expect when you have to pay $15.00 a day to park. Lastly, the hotel staff left a lot to be desired. The valet parking guys were college snots and the rest of the staff didn't fair a whole lot better. We would expect more from a hotel that is trying to catagorize itself as an upper end facility. It is mostly run by UCSD college kids that didn't really care about customer service.

Next time we will stay somewhere else.

Toms River, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2005

Date of stay: Oct 8,9,10, 2005. Wanted a relaxing elegant hotel for the last leg of trip down the coast of CA. Also wanted to stay in/near La Jolla. The best places are very expensive. Decided to give Hotwire a try. Do your homework first. Know all you can about the area and descriptions of hotels before booking on Hotwire. Also, narrow your search to specific area you want to stay when you book on Hotwire. Imagine my elation when Hotwire came back with the Estancia. I tried several times to find a deal for this place to no avail. Hotwire was the way to go. From the moment you pull up in front of the hotel, to the moment you leave, you are treated royally. We did not experience any negativity for booking on Hotwire and no discrepancies in price. Just go equipped with confirmations and printouts. The entire staff was great. The room fantastic. Big roomy beds, incredible bathroom, balcony overlooking a lovely landscaped courtyard. Any questions and they were more than helpful. They had printed out directions ready to give you for most attractions. They even helped with Mapquest in finding a destination in LA I needed. They printed out Boarding Passes for flight reservations willingly. The grounds are so inviting, with little nooks and crannies for you to sit and relax. Open pit fireplace in the bar/casual restaurant. Soft music playing all over. Nice pool and hot tub. All for $185.00 thru Hotwire. Way to go Hotwire. Way to go Estancia

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2005

What is not to like about a new hotel which operates to 5 star standards at half the price. You can typically find a room for around $200 and sometimes less if you check their website. They added a $9 daily resort fee which paid for the local newspaper and high speed internet access in the room. I was on business so this was a nice addition. I stayed one night at Estancia La Jolla, had cocktails at Mustangs and Burros and dined at Adobe restaurant and woke up in the morning not wanting to leave. My room faced the inside courtyard and was very comfortable and spacious. What stands out at Estancia is the attention to detail on the furnishings, fixtures and design of the property. All classic Spanish design but with a rustic elegance. Reminded me of La Quinta Resort in Palm Springs. It is an intimate property which is a great alternative to the larger cookie cutter properties located off hwy 5. I was able to peek into the spa and the poolside cabana's but did not have time enjoy as I was their on business. I will be back with my wife over a weekend for pleasure and would definitely recommend this property to anyone staying in the San Diego area. Additionally, Estancia is located about a mile from Torrey Pines Golf Course (site of 2008 US OPEN) so bring your sticks when you visit to experience a great room and a great course.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business

Been to Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!