“Peace and Tranquility at its Best” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
An Evening in Verona
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
A TripAdvisor Member
“Peace and Tranquility at its Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2005

My wife, baby daughter and I stayed here for the 3 days prior to the Memorial Day weekend and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. As many reviewers already mentioned, the staff was pleasant, professional and always friendly.

We had dinner at the Adobe Restaurant on site and I'm glad to say it was delicious. Get the Paprika dusted potatoes! The servers were very attentive and offered numerous times to provide food or milk for my daughter. Additionally, my daughter is in a stage now where she says "Hi" incessantly and both waiters were very friendly to her even after the 50th "Hi".

The room was comfortable but small. Our room overlooked the back of the resort but it was quiet (as we had requested) and clean. For those bringing a baby or toddler, be aware that the room is small so there aren't many places to put them where either the noise from the TV or light from the lamps won't affect them. That being said, it was nice to be able to relax and read without the background noise. This was vacation after all! The crib provided by the hotel was clean and had nice linens. The only problem with it is that it was extremely small for my 16 month old daughter. I think it would be an ideal size for a smaller toddler or baby though.

The midweek vibe from the clientele was definitely more serene than that of the weekend crowd. We left on Saturday morning and by the time we checked out, the pool was filled with wedding party participants and uptight retirees. For those who plan to bring younger kids, I would definitely recommend a midweek stay.

The location was surprisingly tranquil given that it was across the street from UCSD but I think that the fact that school was almost out for the summer may have helped.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and plan to stay there again real soon.

• Stayed May 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2005

Overall a fabulous stay.

We had stayed at the Bellagio in Vegas before arriving in La Jolla and I was very apprehensive about the Estancia. But my stay was way above expectations.

We booked through Expedia and paid £105 (GBP) per night for Bed and Breakfast - Great Value.

We had a basic room with no balcony or patio but it was excellent. We were prepared to pay for an upgrade but the hotel was fully booked. Our room overlooked the courtyard - despite some reviews saying Internet bookings were allocated a poor room.

The resort is immaculate. The staff - without exception - are all extremely friendly, courteous and smartly dressed.

The pool area is fairly small but it was never too busy. It was a great place to sit and relax, which is something I've never managed anywhere else in the world.

Some negatives:

- $15 per day for self parking
- poolside service was terrible - we waited 40 minutes for some soft drinks and another 40 minutes when we ordered lunch.
- A room overlooking Torry Pines, the Car Park and UCSD would be very disappointing.

I could spend a long time listing the positives but I won't. What I will say is that the Estancia is great place to stay. The whole atmosphere is one of peace and tranquility- a great contrast to Las Vegas. Access to La Jolla is a 10 minute drive. San Diego is only a 15-20 minute drive. And we spent a very enjoyable day at Disneyland in Aneheim which was about a 75 minute drive away.

Would we return to the Estancia - MOST DEFINITELY - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2005

Superior service! Friendly helpful staff.
What a welcome change, not one single rude, sour or indifferent staff member, not one! I have never experienced this and I am still shocked!
We were always welcomed back, any staff member we saw in our travels said hello.

The property is gorgeous, manicured and peaceful. Beautiful gardens. Fountains, flowers. Not a hair out of place.

Upscale but comfortable....Understated elegance.

The building is young and VERY clean, rooms are spotless.

Rooms are crisp, clean and silent, even sliding doors are quiet. Mini balcony a plus.

Good lighting in day (bathroom good for make up), pitch black at night.

Comfy beds with down pillows and comforters.

Good, drinkable coffee in room.

They actually have REAL cribs with Real bedding. (not the proverbial scruffy/disease riddled old playpens)

Great hair and skin products, conditioner that actually works. New fresh clean robes. Copious amounts of towels.

Pool is fabulous with private cabanas (fabric, but private).

Spa and gym.

You are not going to believe this, but room service was fast and hot, I'm not kidding! Nice menu, healthy and indulgent choices.

A few dining options on the property.

If I was absolutely forced to find something wrong, I would take an axe to the water saving shower head.

Really, this is a superior hotel for anywhere. Beauty, cleanliness, service and comfort. My first ever 10/10.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Estancia for a long weekend in February 2005. We were very pleased with our choice! The only problems seemed to stem from the fact that we booked it in a flight + hotel package online. The online package included a free room upgrade, free breakfast, and a buy one-get one 50% off spa treatment. When we came to check in, the Estancia had no knowledge of these extras. We were a little frustrated, as those extras had been part of the draw, but the gentleman at the front desk was very accomodating, and he offered to upgrade our room.

In addition, I had booked a couples massage a few weeks in advance, but upon arrival, the spa had no evidence of our reservation, which was also frustrating. Again, they offered to comp our breakfasts.

Positives:
-Absoultely gorgeous! The scenery, the hotel, the landscaping...everything!
-Incredibly comfortable bed (goose down) with high quality linens
-Excellent buffet breakfast, (though overpriced)
-Quiet and restful atmosphere
-Thoughtful details--the robes in the room, the special shampoo/soaps smelled wonderful...
-Delicious room service (try the bread pudding cheesecake!)
-The outdoor fireplaces by the pool/jacuzzi and Mustangs & Burros

Negatives:
-The shower handle broke off as I went to take a shower, and it took over an hour to fix...but they did come right away!
-The online booking experience

The location is fine as long as you have a car, but the short drive to the shops/restaurants in La Jolla is so beautiful you won't mind. Not far from downtown San Diego either.

All in all, it was a beautiful hotel and I would definitely stay there again. I would definitely recommend booking directly through the hotel as you will get much more personal attention. Look for the package specials on their website.

• Stayed February 2005
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2005

Spent a weekend at the Estancia in March. First of all, the location is not quite where you'd expect for a resort. It's a 5 minute drive from the beach and village, and in a rather peculiar location near UCSD. However it's quite an expansive place, so if you get a room that doesn't face Torrey Pines Blvd. it won't make a bit of difference. I wouldn't call it an industrial location like one of the previous reviewers, but it's not within ocean's view or walking distance to anything. You'll need a car. You pull into a long, winding gravel driveway that ends in a circle in front of the lobby. Its desert landscaping and rustic feel definitely give you a sense of separation from the outside world. The layout of the resort is quite unusual, in that it's arranged like a giant hacienda - large, open, squarish courtyards surrounded by the rooms.

Our check-in was not so smooth. I think we arrived around 3:00 or so, but the room wasn't ready. The clerk was a little sloppy and had us waiting in the lobby; we waited for about 15-20 minutes but nobody came to tell us anything. I went back to the front desk and asked someone else (the original clerk was gone) if our room was ready, and he said "yes" and gave us the key. Well it wasn't ready. For over an hour. We waited and waited for the cleaning lady to finish our room. We did get one room service meal comped for the trouble, but I had to ask for it. At least they obliged, which was very nice (we didn't go overboard on the order either).

We had a room on the ground floor facing the inner courtyard - it was nice and quiet. The rooms are plush: great beds, beautifully furnished and cool bathroom fixtures. The toilet is in a separate "closet" from the rest of the bathroom. We liked it quite a bit.

We only ate one meal there and that was the aforementioned room service meal. It was quite good. We didn't bother eating at any of the restaurants because there's so many places to eat in La Jolla. Heck, within a 10-15 minute drive just about all of San Diego is at your disposal.

The pool area is plain but nice; they have a few cabanas and food service as well. We didn't use any of the spa services.

I gave it a four (instead of a five) overall because of the sloppy check-in, and also I can tell there are rooms that will make you feel not-so-secluded, especially those facing Torrey Pines Blvd. If you stay at the Estancia ask for a room facing the courtyards. I'd probably stay there again.

• Stayed March 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2005

I read about the Estancia from tripadvisor and decided to stay there for a couple days while I was in San Diego. This is a great hotel. I really loved the cute hints of charm here and there, like the nice fireplace and guitar player at the Mustang and Burros, and the southwestern theme in the menu at the main restaurant. I really liked the outdoor fireplaces, which are great for having some cocktails. But you must ask the staff to light them, otherwise you'll never enjoy them. If you are coming here for a romantic vacation, you must try the couple massage in the outdoor suite, it was fantastic. Also, the beds are extremely comfortable. I agree with the previous review, they are comparable to the beds at the Westin.

The only problem we found was that the valet was a bit slow bringing our car, this happened all three times we used them. For the $17 valet charge, I was surprised. Other than that, service was great.

Everyone seemed to know it was our anniversary and were very friendly. They even sent us a cute personalized greeting card, which I've never gotten in other hotels. I'd recommend staying here, especially for couples.

• Stayed May 2005
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2005

Estancia Resort and Spa is not perfect. It is a nice new hotel with a pleasant and relaxed atmosphere. It reminded my wife and I of the South of France meets Hacienda design.

The hotel is new and not perfect but has good promise. Let me explain.

Our first room was not the best room. I asked them to move us and they did to a much nicer room with easy pool access and courtyard view.

The Swimming pool water was a bit chilly for myself and young daughter. I asked them to raise the water temperature and they did.

Poolside food and drink service was a bit slow. Asked the manager to look into it and he did. Next day service was much crisper and manager wanted to comp our food. I said no need. Excellent service is all we ask.

In Summary: Problems will happen specially with new establishments but it is how they respond to those problems and situations that makes a difference.

We've had problems with the Four Seasons in Newport Beach and Ritz Carlton, Kapalua but its the way the management team and staff handles those problems that makes a difference.

Of course price point between Estancia ($169 per night) and Four Seasons Hotel ($450 per night) is much different. You be the judge!!

Thank you Regina for your outstanding service at Mustang and Burros.

• Stayed April 2005

Been to Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!