“Satisfied” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Florida, USA
“Satisfied”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for the weekend in July 2013 for a family wedding. The reservations manager made an error with my reservation and when discussing the reservation error she denied making an error. Had to get the General Manager involved to resolve the issue – and he did resolve it beautifully for us. It should not have gotten to that point. The reservations manager is not an asset to this property, yet the rest of the staff is. The grounds are beautiful, guest room was good though far away with little direction how to find it. The daily car charge should cover the tip for the parking lot attendants but you feel obligated to tip each time. The pool area is very nice. Overall the property is very inviting and beautiful. When checking in at 3:00 PM the room was not ready yet check in time is 3:00. That was an issue for me. Time is important. A hotel should know that and when you are traveling the last thing you want to hear is that your room is not ready when you check in at the correct time. It was not ready for about another hour. Poor housekeeping time management. The outdoor wedding ceremony was beautiful, however for the ladies – you must bring a sun umbrella. It was so hot that your hair falls down and make-up smears. The hotel should have small sun umbrella available and glasses of cold water passed around while waiting for the bride to make her entrance. It was just too hot! The reception was nice and everything went well. Overall, a nice weekend at this hotel.

Room Tip: Must ask where the room is when making a reservation. Some rooms are very far away.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Estancia has the ambience of an older luxury resort. The property is beautifully landscaped with lovely walkways throughout. It has a salt water pool and excellent spa. We were unable to eat breakfast or lunch there but the appetizer menu was fantastic and reasonably priced considering the high food quality. I had grilled fish tacos and a salad and my brother had a shrimp quesadilla and the house salad. Both were the best food we had on our trip. All the staff were "California beautiful", but very friendly and professional. I only wish we had booked it for the entire vacation. The only negative is the $25 valet parking fee and the $17 "resort" fee for the in room coffee and tea, internet etc. My brother is bringing his wife back for a romantic weekend. All in all, an excellent property.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I've stayed here before, because it's close proximity to Torrey Pines golf course. It's also close to Scripps, where I was this past week. Lovely hotel, beautiful location, wonderful amenities, and my massage was one of the best ever!

Room Tip: I had a garden room. It was quiet. I recommend a top floor if you can get one. They have lovely de...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Audubon, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

I travel to La Jolla about once a month and typically stay at L'Auberge Del Mar. With the races opening this week, a friend suggested we try La Estancia instead. I was immediately impressed by the property and the courteous staff. I was here for business and my daughters were traveling with me.

The hotel was completely full during our stay and was not staffed to properly manage the chaos. Food service was incredibly slow (waited two hours for a bag of trail mix and some chips) and an obnoxiously loud party was conducted in the hallways and balconies surrounding my room on the night prior to our 4:00 am departure. I had to call security three times before someone from the hotel staff finally got it under control. The front desk receptionist said, "well you chose a bad week - this is ComicCon". Unacceptable excuse from my point of view, especially as the party was connected to an onsite wedding. This is not the kind of property where you expect to have a confrontation with an obnoxious drunk guest in a hallway.

During my stay, I had numerous interactions with hotel staff who were incredibly sincere and polite but overwhelmed and unable to help (bartender, front desk).

I left two messages for the GM, Terry Buchholz, and was assured he would contact me. He did not.

As I mentioned the property was lovely. In addition, the restaurants provided fantastic food.

I would definitely NOT recommend you stay at this property when it is anywhere near full, but I could imagine it being a very nice getaway at some other time.

• Stayed July 2013
EstanciaHotelManager, Manager at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your recent stay. While our GM did not receive a voicemail or email from you, perhaps you mean you left a message with the Front Desk? Assuming that is the case, I hope you received the voicemail from the Director of Front Office Operations earlier this week. He would like to learn more about your experience, and hopes to hear back from you soon. You are absolutely right in that this is not the kind of property where you expect disturbances like those that you experienced. We are terribly sorry and can assure you that your experience is not indicative of our service culture. Hope to speak with you soon.
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed at the Estancia La Jolla for two nights in July as the hotel we had booked in San Diego wasn't available all five nights. After our two night stay, we wished we had booked the entire trip here. The location is convenient to Torrey Pines State Park and La Jolla Village and a short drive into San Diego. The property gives you a secluded feeling; very quiet and peaceful. There is a nice pool and workout area. Everyone from the valet and bellmen to the front desk to the restaurant and hospitality staff were very welcoming. We are already looking forward to our next visit!

Room Tip: We had a room on the inner courtyard. We were able to listen to the relaxing sound of the fountain...
Los Angeles, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I stayed here with my husband for one night, on a business trip. The property is very pretty and the valet parking staff is very attentive. The charge for the valet is $25 per the stay, I am not sure if this is daily or during your entire stay at the hotel. We were greeted by a friendly staff who offered us a glass of champagne which was a nice touch. The hotel rooms are separated by buildings, that are some what all connected together. This is what made things a bit confusing. We were first lost in the maze of the hotel grounds, but to get into each building to get to your room you had to use your room key to open the door of each building. We finally got to our room and the space was very spacious and comfortable. If I can recall I think the bath tubs in this hotel were really shallow, almost knee deep, which made me kinda laugh. It is a pretty nice hotel and I am not sure why they didn't invest in nicer tubs. The bathroom amenities were nice and smelled good though. We went to the pool which was big, and there were plenty of spaces to lounge at. The beer and wine menu was half off during happy hour, so I definitely recommend lounging by the pool then! The water was warm, and enjoyable. The hot tub was very crowded, but once people got out I stepped in, and it was very warm and comfortable with the jets blasting. Overall it was an average experience, nothing really special about this place for me. As mentioned earlier about getting into each building with the room key, when we left the hotel we forgot about this and left our room keys in our room. We couldn't get out of the place to our car since we had to have our keys to get to the next building! So we ended up hiking up and down stairs to find a way to get out with out going through the building. Over all a good experience. I just expected a bit more for the price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
EstanciaHotelManager, Manager at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you for the thorough review. I’m glad overall you enjoyed your stay and had a chance to experience our Pool Bar Happy Hour. We thank you for the compliments on our landscape and design. I’m sorry for the inconvenience with regard to carrying your key with you. I know it can be a bit bothersome when you have your hands full. This procedure is simply something we do to ensure the safety and security of our guests as we cover so many acres and have multiple public entrances. Thank you again for staying with us and for taking the time to provide feedback.
Central Arizona, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed at The Estancia for three nights, and truly loved the beautiful hotel. I was impressed with all the succulents and the Spanish / Old California feel. After a nice dinner we enjoyed sitting and reading our book in one of several courtyards with a relaxing fountain nearby.
The hotel isn't located in a shopping area that you can walk to; the Salk Institute is just across the street, along with multiple offices and UC. In fact, many of the fellow guests were there for conferences, but it's only a 10 or 15 minute drive to downtown La Jolla and Old Town San Diego. Del Mar is even closer.
The staff is very friendly and can't do enough for you. The only downside is the hotel tax and fees, along with the valet parking, which total about $45 per day. But that's just California!

Room Tip: The first floor rooms that exit directly to the courtyard allow you the opportunity to appreciate th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!