“Nice and elegant hotel but outside La Jolla” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
An Evening in Verona
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Boulder CO
“Nice and elegant hotel but outside La Jolla”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2008

Stayed on a corporate business trip with meetings, group meals, etc. I had half a day free which I spent at the lovely pool relaxing with an excellent lunch poolside. Overall a nice, quiet and elegant hotel. Three main issues:
1) Not really in La Jolla - it's a 10-15 min cab ride (~$15-20) into town. The hotel is in a very quiet residential area.
2) There are no views of the ocean from anywhere on the property - I was surprised. There is a beautiful view from the La Jolla glider port about 2 (long) blocks away.
3) The property is long and if you're in the back set of rooms, some rooms (like mine) are very far from the front of the hotel as is the beautiful pool so you're either hiking it back and forth to the front of the hotel and restaurants or near the pool.

• Liked — Elegance, quiet, excellent service
  • Disliked — Out of "town", distance to my room from meeting rooms/restaurants
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
South Bay, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2008

My wife and I stayed for a two-night weekend getaway. After reading the reviews on this site and others, I was hesitant to stay here, but we decided to stay anyway.

The grounds and common areas are beautiful and well groomed and maintained. We reserved an Estate King room that had a view of the courtyard. The room was adequate, clean and had all the expected amenities - coffee maker, iron, robes, mini bar, etc.

The staff was friendly and helpful. Upon driving up to the front of the hotel, our bellperson/valet person unloaded our luggage, waited for us to check-in and escorted us to our room.

We only ate one meal at Estancia. We ate at Adobe one night and the food was very good. The food and wine prices were average for this type of resort.

Our main reason for choosing Estancia is from the pictures and reviews, it sounded like a nice relaxing place to getaway. We've stayed at other 4 and 5 Diamond resorts and this would probably rate at the lower end of the 4 Diamond resorts. Overall, we had a good experience and would probably stay again in the future.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Kansas City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2008

Absolutely awful service. From the room service to the concierge and the front desk. We traveled there with a toddler after researching hotels in the area. This one was suppose to be family friendly and won a Conde Nast award - what a joke. This is all I'm going to say - on a rainy day we asked the concierge and front desk for suggestions on places to go due to the rain. Their response "Chuckee Cheese" (?sp) - you know that pizza place with arcade games. My daughter was a toddler. In San Diego you can't think of anything else. We took matters in to our own hands, grabbed some brochures and found that we could go to the Scripps Aquarium (indoors) which I'd recommend.

• Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Saint Paul
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2008

The hotel is very nice. We got a great deal for less than $200 per night on the Hotel's website between Christmas and New Years. This is a high end place and is reasonably priced. However, I think some of the reviewers are going a bit overboard or just have not had a true 5 star experience. This is a four star experience. The rooms are nice but not spectacular. The service is what you should expect but not out of this world. I think this would be a great place for a small business conference, family reunion, or someone looking for a quiet relaxing place near La Jolla that offers better value. This place is worth somewhere between $200 to $280 per night. They do get you on the parking though.

La Jolla is a great place to stay when visiting San Diego.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2008

Fourth time here. We had suite 124 - best yet. Quiet, clean, good breakfast. Gardens fabulous as usual.
The staff is young, good looking, and laid back, but service was adequate to good. This is, after all, southernmost California.
Relax, enjoy the garden, enjoy La Jolla, walk next door to the Salk Institute and then over to the glider port and watch the surfers hike up from the beach.

• Liked — Gardens
  • Disliked — no CD player in room
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2008

After reviewing hotels in the La Jolla area, we found a great travelzoo deal for this hotel. It had gotten so-so reviews on service, but all reviews said how beautiful the grounds were. We decided to take the plundge and go for it. It was a special occassion (sisters/mom retreat for my mom while she is going through chemo) and had my fingers crossed that it would all work out.

Not only did it "work out"...it totally exceeded my expectations! The service was so friendly and VERY accomodating. Our room was beautiful and the view was to the central courtyard where a HUGE christmas tree was lit up and decorated the hilt. We didn't eat at the hotel, but the options looked wonderful. We did sip hot chocolate in the beautiful lobby area by the fire in plush chairs and chatted.

We also used the spa and LOVED this experience as well. We only had time for the express head/neck/back treatment but it was HEAVENLY!!! The spa facilities were just beautiful and worth every minute we spent there. I kept taking mental notes so that I could recreate the enviroment in my home in the future. Our massuse was TOP NOTCH and we spa quite a lot throughout Asia, where they are really amazing.

We loved this hotel and can't wait to go back!!

• Liked — service, facilities, spa
  • Disliked — distance from shopping/downtown...not a far drive but not in walking distance
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2008

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Estancia Hotel in La Jolla for the Buick Invitational. We had booked the room through their deal with TravelZoo, where we had secured a King room with a free upgrade to their Veranda Suite. Our experience went like so:

Upon driving our car through self-parking, a sign informed us that it costs $20. I find the rate outrageous considering you have to nearly hike to the front desk after parking your car a mile away. We entered the hotel and were immediately comforted by the sweet smell of cinnamon candles burning. We checked in and went to find our room. When we got there, we discovered that it had two queen beds, rather than the king we had paid for. I immediately called the front desk to let them know about the mistake. But rather than accommodating us (or even apologizing for the mistake), we were met with attitude, backtalk and overall rudeness. I asked to speak with the manager and after waiting on hold for a few minutes, another girl picked up mentioning that she was the one who had just checked us in. However, she was not the manager. Oddly enough, the woman I first spoke with was the manager, yet failed to mention this when I asked to speak with the manager. I explained the situation to the girl who had checked us in, informing her that I have the confirmation printout in front of me which states that I paid for a King bed. Again, I was met with a complete lack of respect and was told that no hotel can guarantee a specific type of room (please tell that to guests staying at the Ritz). I was then told I was threatening her when I mentioned I will advise friends, colleagues and clients not to stay here due to their lack of customer service. How that is a threat, I don’t know, but I was soon re-transferred to the manager/original woman I spoke with and once again, met with a hard time. Finally, after ten minutes of arguing, they moved us to a room with a King bed.

The next morning, we checked out and spoke with the manager on staff. We explained everything that happened the night before and she seemed very understanding. She said she would speak with the two women and call me later in the day. When she did call, her attitude had changed completely and she too accused me of threatening her staff (this after I explained what her staff considered a “threat”). She ended up siding with her staff and that was that.

The room that we ended up staying in was very nice. The bed was quite comfy and the bathroom was spacious. We ate at Mustangs and Burrows, one of their restaurants, and the food was fairly good (albeit the service was so-so). It was too bad that it was raining so much because the grounds looked very nice. That said, I would never stay here again, nor would I recommend this hotel to my friends and colleagues. I am very big on customer service and the hotel staff here just does not have respect for their guests. In the end, I’d rather stay at the Hilton than here; at least I know the staff will be more than accommodating.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!