“Mildly Infuriating” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
BC
“Mildly Infuriating”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

We stayed for 6 nights. We had a 1 BR kitchen unit. (Unit 201).The property is OK but many elements are mildly annoying. Yes it has free wi-fi. That's good, right? But it is very weak and inconsistent and wouldn't work in the bedroom at all. The kitchenette is poorly appointed with mismatched utensils and glassware. There is a 2 burner cooktop which did work, but the main element is very wobbly. The sinb is very small and is a challenge to use. You'll be washing your own dishes and there's nowhere to place your dishes after washing. There is a way too large fridge and a toaster oven and microwave. But there isn't enough room that you can have the toaster oven and microwave plugged in at the same time. You have to choose one and leave the other on top of the fridge and the cord is not long enough from there to reach any outlet.

The bathroom consisting of toilet and bath/shower is in a separate room, which is fine. The sink and vanity are out in the main area but there are no towel racks there. So anytime you wash at the vanity you have to leave a towel in a heap or go to the bathroom where the towels are.

They advertise the bed as a California king. It isn't. A California queen, maybe. If possible, bring your own pillows as the ones supplied are flat and flimsy. There is a nightstand on one side only so there is nowhere for one occupant (assuming a couple) to put their watch, rings, glasses, etc except on the floor. We ended up fashioning a box and stack of phone books as a nightstand. The bed itself was very squeaky!

They advertise that the unit has two 42" flatscreen TVs, which is true. But the one in the bedroom has very basic cable and the picture quality is very grainy and snowy, making you think you're watching TV from 1971. The TV in the living area is slightly better and had about 2 HD channels, one of which is PBS. Oh joy. No ESPNHD so had to hike down to the local tavern to watch football in HD. And the worn out sofa in the living area doesn't face the TV so you have to crank your head to the side to watch it. It could also stand to be cleaned.

So. as I say, nothing really really bad about the property but a series of mild irritants. Be wary of the motel next door, the Biltmore. It was on the local news during our stay as there was gunplay there and was visited by the police.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Westerville, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I stayed here for 6 days when my son had surgery and the location was perfect for that. Right across the street from his apartment. The room has a small balcony which helped because there is no air conditioning in this hotel. Normally that wouldn't be an issue but it was the hottest week of the year when I was there. They did have a fan and I would say that helped a lot. The room was clean and the staff was friendly but they could use better towels for sure. The price is very reasonable for the area and I would stay here again. Just know that it is not High end by no means.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Sands of La Jolla is located in the Bird Rock neighborhood. It's a great location, close to the beautiful Windansea beach, walking distance to some cool restaurants. And it's a short drive to downtown La Jolla. My boyfriend and I stayed here just to fully experience the neighborhood. The rooms are ok - the bedroom area is clean and comfortable. Old TVs, though. The bathrooms are clean but really need updating. The hotel is shaped in a curve, which makes it seem like the neighbors on their balconies are part of your room. It's a nice place to stay, but we won't be going there again. My boyfriend got some henna hair dye on a towel. We were charged $15 for the towel, and told we were banned from ever staying there again. I understand one punishment or the other, but why both???

Room Tip: Get a room that faces the street, otherwise you're facing an alley - not pleasant.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We used to stay here quite often 10+ years ago. We made reservations so we could be in a place that was close to the beach but quiet. I was happy to see the upgrades they have made to the place and we had a great stay overall. I was saddened to see that there are now buildings blocking what used to be a great ocean view, but the ocean view is only a half block away. There is a little park that is two blocks away, a very easy walk, where we went each night to watch the amazing sunsets. Our room was clean, and the staff was very accommodating. We will definitely be back here. We could stay anywhere we want, but this best kept secret will be our go-to place.

Room Tip: Ask for a third floor room but ask if the elevator is working before you commit to it! We didn'...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Akron, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

This hotel is on the border of LaJolla, but you don't pay the high prices as if you were staying in the middle of LaJolla. In general it was a great place to stay. You can walk or drive to the beach, coffee shops,starbucks, cvs and a bunch of little shops. The one problem we had was the elevator was not working, and as I found out, will not be fixed due to cost. I just had had knee surgery and it was a little problematic. The other problem was that there was a fishy odor in the bathroom. Luckily I had some air freshener with me. This was reported to the main desk and they said they would check into the odor. Besides those two things, the hotel was great. By the way, we also found out there was no air conditioning. Not sure if it was broken or they don't have. It was fine the week we were there because it was rather cool. They did supply a fan if needed. We actually only used the room to sleep...we were gone every day so some of the problems we just overlooked because the price of the room was so cheap.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

An absolute GEM, especially if you are on a budget. All in all - probably a 3+ star hotel / motel with 4 star amenities, grounds and service. Who can beat $69 a night in La Jolla, or even San Diego for that matter?!

I've traveled to the San Diego and La Jolla area twenty times in the past number of years. I usually try to stay at various locations to better get the feel of the communities and city as a whole. The Sands of La Jolla is a great find - and I will be back... Mentioned by a friend at first, I visited their Twitter page and saw the specials & pictures so I gave them a shot for four nights.

The property appears to have originally been an older three story mid-century motor-lodge (maybe 40 rooms?) - But certainly has been recently updated or remodeled and is well kept. The room furnishings all seemed newer, was very clean and they had newer appliances + a large flat-screen tv. The pool and surrounding area was pristine, nice palm trees, gardens and had plenty of chaise lounge sun chairs which I used daily.

The location is wonderful - near both Pacific Beach (where I had daytime business meetings) and a short way to La Jolla Village for shopping. I had two days for fun activity and was able to walk to a nearby beach to meet friends in just a few minutes from the hotel. Met both a few fun guys staying adjacent that were visiting for surfing, that said they were regular guests as well as friendly folks from Europe on vacation.

Staff was attentive and professional - hooked me up with loads of extra coffee for the in-room maker and gave me a nice map of the local area, recommended places to eat nearby and directions to a theater I was heading to.

Only downsides were: the free Wifi was a on the slower side but decent enough for email and general web surfing -- (I wouldn't try to stream movies or download music.) The towels were smaller than average - especially for the pool, that said - they gave me extra ones upon request and were replenished daily.

Room Tip: Found out from other guests I socialized with at the pool that there are 1 bedroom suites for under...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We had a lot of gear with us on a week long surf/bike safari, which included about $8000 worth of bikes and $2000 worth of surfboards. All and all, for two grubby bike dudes, not a bad place.

Two words of warning:
1. The parking sucks. You can pretty much expect that someone driving an SUV is going to take up two spots because the spaces are TINY. So if you go out at night, anticipate having to get creative with your parking.
2. The overhang on the check in roof is LOW. So low that we smacked our surfboards on the overhang, which is about 6'8". If you're loaded up, be mindful.

All and all it was what we wanted, cheap, close to the surf beach I like, and cheap. The WiFi wasn't the best, the manager wasn't that attentive, but the room was always clean, our stuff wasn't stolen, and it had a mini-fridge big enough for 36 beers. What more can you ask for in La Jolla for $65 a night?

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Sands Of La Jolla? Share your experiences!