“Mediocre to poor” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Denver, Colorado
“Mediocre to poor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

The hotel looked pretty online, but disappointing when we arrived in person. No A/C, so they offered an extra fan. The beds did not have a fitted bottom sheet, just a top sheet that didn't fit well so it would slide off constantly. The beds were noisy and very shakie. The pool was freezing. No hot tub. No mirror outside of the bathroom. They advertised free wireless, but only had it available part of the time, on and off. The positives were there were no bugs on the 2nd floor, it was a very quiet and safe neighboorhood that was close to shopping and only a few blocks from the ocean and beaches.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

I went during Comic Con so prices were astronomical everywhere, except here. I was nervous about the Sands as I had my 13yr old with me. I was prepared to go to a high end hotel if it was unclean or had bugs. My son and I were pleasantly relieved. Although the property is older, the place is well kept, clean, and close to it all. It is 1/2 block to a CVS Pharmacy as well. The King bed that I shared with my son was very comfortable and bug free. I always pull all he sheets off to check (no matter where I go). For an average of $90/night is is worth the price any time of the year. But there is no luxury or large rooms here. For a clean place with a good night sleep. Go for this place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

Came in late so can't comment on poolarea.
No breakfast - poor!

Rooms a little bit worn down but great anyway.
Very nice area!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

nice rooms, lots of parking. best price in la jolla. oh yeah there no smoking and pets for all the rooms.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
tucson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

A few years ago we turned up at 3am to the sands of La Jolla. The management were welcoming. The beds were comfortable and price was unbeatable. We have stayed at 5 star hotels and private resorts. We enjoyed our experience so much that we are going back tomorrow and staying for the weekend. When calling, the staff had a pleasant tone / manner and we are looking forward to our visit again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Holywood, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

We checked out quite a few hotels in this La Jolla area and most were expensive. As we were travelling on a budget for 3 weeks , we were looking for value.

The rooms were average sized, but were bright and had balconies. Decor was somewhat dated, but clean.

There was no breakfast available at this hotel and staff were not particularly welcoming or helpful.

All in all good price for the area, but definitely no frills!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by this budget motel in LaJolla. I was expecting worse and I actually got better. There was cable TV, a microwave and fridge, the beds were very comfortable, there were products for bathing and shampooing. The room seemed quite clean overall. I only stayed for one night but it was very satisfactory for its price point. I've stayed at Best Westerns which were much more worn out and tacky, and charged alot more. The hotel is small, but seems to be well-maintained. I didn't find the outside particularly unappealing, like some reviewers claimed. The pool looked quite nice, but I didn't have time to use it. The front desk person was friendly and helpful and the hotel is located down the road (only a block or two) from a shopping and dining area. This is a good budget motel with more amenities than you would suppose for the price.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Been to Sands Of La Jolla? Share your experiences!