“Quite disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Apollonia Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #115 of 1,274 restaurants in La Jolla
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Nobel Drive
Transit: Bus stops are available on Nobel Drive and Genesee Avenue within 2-minute walk from Apollonia
San Diego, CA
“Quite disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The menu looked great and I had a hard time deciding what to order. I finally ordered the minestrone soup and chicken couscous. The soup was watery so distracted from all the nice ingredients. The chicken couscous was so spicy I couldn't eat it and I had asked them not to include the harissa! They couldn't have been nicer about letting me choose something else to eat other than the chicken, though. (I never said anything about the soup).

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

81% Recommend
Davis
“Excellent food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Apollonia Bistro is located in a strip mall so there's plenty of parking and it's easy to find. There is both indoor and outdoor seating.
The chicken kebob is perfectly seasoned, tender and delicious, and served over rice pilaf. They have many vegetarian options as well. Be sure to try the briami (vegetable stew).
Prices are very reasonable for such good food.

Visited August 2012
Santa Barbara, California
“Consistently good food, good service and atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

This restaurant is a favorite whenever I am visiting La Jolla. Conveniently located, with a pleasant atmosphere and always good food and friendly service, it's the kind of place that you can bring kids to but still enjoy a sophisticated, grown-up meal. They have a nice wine selection and a great menu with classic Mediterranean offerings. This last time, we took the good advice of a fellow diner (thanks, Sonja), and ordered a couple of sampler dinners to share. We got lots of food and we got to try a nice variety of dishes. We also ordered the Calamari appetizer, which was a little disappointing as the calamari was a bit soggy and it was served with the wrong sauce, but I'll give them a pass on this one since it was late in evening and we were probably the last diners served that night. Overall, still a favorite!

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
San Diego, California
“Amazing food, atmosphere and service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

The waiter we had was very attentive. If one of our sodas or waters were even close to being empty, he was there asking if wanted a refill of the soda or gave us more water. He didn't leave us waiting for long periods of time and took our order diligently, getting everything perfect.

The atmosphere was nice as well. We were given the choice of where we wanted to sit, inside or the outside heated patio. We were there for our anniversary dinner and decided to sit in the outdoor patio. The seats were comfortable, it was quiet and just perfect for us.

The food was amazing!! I had never been to a Greek restaurant before this night and I was quiet amazed at how good I thought the food was. The portions were a good size and the food just melted in my mouth. We started off with the Hummos, I had the Chicken Riganato and my bf had the beef kabob. Both were delicious. We ended dinner with Baklava and chocolate mousse, both of which were good. Half way through the meal we were talking about coming back and trying other items on the menu!

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
san diego
“Moderately priced Greek food in a pleasant setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

They serve authentic Greek food that is tasty and comes up pretty fast, maybe a tad too fast, but acceptable. We just finished our soup and salad when the server came with our entrees. The menu offerings are ample and the prices reasonable. The furnishings are adequate and not fancy, and reminded me of moderately priced restaurants in Athens. The server was efficient and pleasant. About half the restaurant is on their heated outdoor terrace, so if you want to be inside when you make your reservation, make sure you reserve indoor seating if the weather is cooler. Overall it was a pleasant experience and one I would repeat.

• Visited March 2012