“Pantai Inn ” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Liverpool
“Pantai Inn ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

We stayed 6 nights from 21st July and enjoyed every minute. The location is perfect and the staff charming and helpful in equal measure. The accommodation is cabin style and from the moment we arrived (early) and were able to check in and find we had been upgraded til we had to leave the hotel staff could not have done more to make our trip any better. We are looking forward to visiting again and would recommend the Pantai to family and friends. The cabin was clean and the linen changed every day with high quality fresh fluffy towels. House keeping were thorough and efficient and the complimentary breakfast was very tasty.

Stayed July 2014
Dallas K, General Manager at Pantai Inn, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Suemw1,
Thank you for your review! We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and all the amenities the Pantai has to offer. We also appreciate the recommendations to your family and friends. We enjoyed creating a memorable experience for you and look forward to your next visit.
Dallas King

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
San Juan Capistrano, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

We stayed three days for our anniversary and were VERY happy! Our room was spotless and nicely decorated, it had everything you could need, the view was amazing, the deck was wonderful, the bed was comfortable, the coffee was delicious, the breakfast was good, the employees were especially pleasant, and the location was awesome!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for an ocean view room.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Omlil,
Thank you for the kind review! We recognize that San Diego has many hotel options to select from and are honored that Pantai continues to be the first choice for many over and over again. Anniversaries are very special and we’re grateful you stayed with us. Hope to see you on your next anniversary!

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

My family, including 2 teenagers, spent 5 nights at pantai inn. We had a 2 bedroom ocean view suite, that included a small refrigerator and microwave. I was initially put off when the receptionist announced that we had been upgraded to ocean view. In reality we paid extra for ocean view and the suite was on the ground floor not second or third, as we had hoped.

However, we were thrilled with our whole experience. The continental breakfast included lovely fresh berries, melon, and pineapple, which were constantly replenished. The coffee was also wonderful with the muffins and Danish pastry.

The inn is 31 rooms in a few buildings around lovely gardens and patio with heaters for the evening and a fire pit which blazed at night. Coffee and tea were available around the clock with cookies, clementines, and infused water. Free wifi and free parking were nice, too.

We decided to make use of the grills for dinner after discovering a wonderful fish market (El Pescador) and the Whole Foods market nearby. Each evening we cooked fish on the grill and ate on our patio overlooking the pacific and watching the magnificent sunsets! Exquisite! The help was uniformly pleasant and helpful providing a bowl for salad, sharp paring knife, and salt and pepper.

We all agreed that the beds were the most comfortable we had ever slept in and the inn provided beach towels and chairs for our trips to the beach. The room could have accommodated 6 using the sleep sofa. The suite itself was Comfortable but the bathroom was surprisingly tiny and cramped. Really seemed inadequate for 4-6 people to use.

Everything was spotlessly clean. Our only suggestions include adding plain yogurt at breakfast to the flavored choices. And Perhaps peanut butter for protein. All the dish wear is plastic and paper but there is no recycling at pantai. That was troubling given the amount of waste produced.

Pantai is an excellent choice for staying in la Jolla.... Especially if you take advantage of the healthy breakfast and the grilling option for dinner ....and enjoy ocean views with easy access to the beach and town.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

The employees always greet you and stop what they are doing if you have anything to ask or bring up with them. Little things like how the continental breakfast was set up and how it was continuously supplied made the experience great. The staff was always friendly and listening. One employee I remember the name of even after the trip, Mr. Fernando, would bring out the food that I liked when I asked ( such as bagels with poppy seeds when there were none ). And he did it quickly too which is always a plus. There was a surplus of seats in the spacious area which allowed me to have choice in where I wanted to sit and look at the ocean as I ate.
One memorable moment in the trip was when I lost my phone and asked the staff if they picked it up at all. The person I spoke with said he would keep an eye out. A day or two later, I run into the same person and he asks if I found my phone yet. We were passing each other around a corner and he recognized me and just asked casually. This literally shocked me that he remembered me and that I lost my phone.
The price range was scary and still is when looking back at it, but it is justified by the location near the ocean and the fantastic service that the employees strive for. It was an experience I haven't had at a hotel before and it makes me happy to have known the people there.

Room Tip: Find a room near an internet modem. The room I stayed far from the front desk had terrible wifi whi...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dallas K, General Manager at Pantai Inn, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Sechs F,
Thank you for the review and the kind words about Fernando and the team. They are the ones that really make this hotel special. We hope the next time you are visiting La Jolla you will come back and stay with us again.
Bethlehem
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

You'll get the most of the California coast by staying at the Pantai Inn in La Jolla. After staying there for 4 days listening to the surf and sea gulls our vacation was complete. The stall at the Pantai Inn was excellent, there wasn't a thing they wouldn't do for you. I had some packages that I needed to be taken to the post office and they were more than happy to do it for us. Being a Saturday with the post office being closed they offered to take it on Monday. I can't begin to say enough about the Pantai Inn. We had a second floor corner suite overlooking the ocean. Just being able to relax and watch the ocean was fantastic. We even brought our breakfasts up to out deck just to take in the beautiful views. The continental breakfasts were extremely adequate, bagels, cereals, juices and lots of fresh local fruits. Spending time at the Pantai Inn gave me the opportunity to observe the staff and when I say they were excellent that's putting it mildly. Their gardner Joseph, deserves as much credit as every other staff member. He performs a meticulous job daily on the surrounding plants and vegetation.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms provided a great view of the ocean
Scottsdale, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

We chose the Pantai Inn for a stay for my husband and me and his elderly mother. It's worth the extra cost to book an ocean front room with a large veranda to relax and a full kitchen to cook all our meals. Even though it's across from busy Scripps Park, it felt like an escape because of the atmosphere created in the courtyards of the inn and the superior attention and service from the staff. The continental breakfast was quite good, with 5 varieties of fresh fruit daily along with pastries, yogurts, etc. The best of both worlds exists here. . . a beautiful peaceful ambiance on the property with easy access to the many coves and beaches of La Jolla and just one block removed from the activity of Prospect St. We'll surely return to the property, so we asked to see some of the other unit types. The newly renovated ocean front units recently added have spacious balconies. (the units have a mini-kitchen). The cottages were clean and well maintained and guests without ocean views could simply use the common courtyards. The luxury units we saw had fine finishes and creative use of the space. My mother in law hopes to return here with some friends sometime soon. Bravo Pantai Inn!

Room Tip: Cottages are older but less expensive and remodeled nicely. While you could save money with a non-o...
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Amazing concept - amazing view - amazing rooms / bungalows - very spacious.
Loved the décor, the sleep quality, the amenities. Downside was that the lighting in the rooms is poor.
We were three people, and they had one bar of soap for us !!!! Took a long time to deliver extra towels and soaps.
Housekeeping knocked at the door at 9:00 AM - I asked them to come back in an hour - at 5:00 PM, our room was still not attended to. We had to ask for Housekeeping to come. That was really disappointing. When you are paying upwards of $500 a night, service should be better. Also, it was quite noisy late at night just outside our room. One morning, a Costco delivery truck was parked outside our door at 8:30 AM, and the driver left the engine running. I am sure that Management will respond saying that next time they will try harder. But we just spent $500+ a night. Will there be a next time???? I think not. I don't want delivery trucks parked outside my room. And with the Housekeeping issue, if I was in their place, I would have had a fruit basket in the room as an apology. I can't believe that this hotel is #1 on Trip Advisor. I truly believe that we wasted money here, and we do stay at really nice hotels around the world.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dallas K, General Manager at Pantai Inn, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
DeepakinToronto,
I was very disappointed to hear about your recent experience at the Pantai. My apologies on behalf of the entire team. Rather than simply respond to your comments, I would like to speak to you personally about your experience at the property in an effort to gain back some of the trust that was lost. My email is Dallas@Pantai.com. Please email me at your earliest convenience so that we can connect and set up a time to speak.

Dallas King

Been to Pantai Inn? Share your experiences!