“Wow!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
San Diego, California
“Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed here for one Thursday night in mid October 2012 and it was one of the best all around lodging experiences we’ve had (and we’ve stayed in some nice places). It was my wife’s birthday and she decided to bring homemade scones for the front desk and ask for an upgrade. What the heck, it was worth a shot. Amanda at the desk couldn’t have been nicer (as was everyone there including the gardener who keeps things looking great). She gave us their best suite, 208. Check out the pictures, it’s awesome. You’ve got your own giant porch overlooking the Pacific, which is right across the street. When you tire of that, the large living room has a full-length picture window and two big couches to sit and gaze. Also in that room is an eating table with four chairs, a big working gas fireplace, a gorgeous flat screen TV and a Murphy bed which folds down from the wall. Everything is new and spotless. Then you have the lovely bathroom with hand painted ceiling and a medieval style shower, a full kitchen with brand new appliances, and a cozy bedroom with a four-poster queen size and another flat screen.
You’re in between La Jolla Cove to the north and the Children’s Pool with its seals to the south. We walked up the steps to eat at the restaurant 9-10 which is gourmet with a capitol G, but there are twenty other restaurants up there to suit any taste. Of course you have free parking so you can cruise anywhere.
I’d recommend this room to anybody. If you’ve got a special occasion, say a wedding with a group from out of town, this suite could comfortably sleep five. A word of advice: this area is world famous and fills up with people during the day on weekends and holidays. They all leave after sunset though and you’ve got the waves and the seals to lull you to sleep. I hope to return someday.

Room Tip: 208. Bring treats and try for an upgrade.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Sugar Land, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Pantai Inn is absolutely Beautiful! My husband and I spent 4 glorious nights at this lovely apartment style Inn.

The location is fantastic walking distance to everything, shopping, restaurants the beach is literally across the street from this amazing gem! Our stay included delicious complimentary breakfast, complimentary wifi and parking which are a rare find.

The staff was so friendly remembering our names and really made us feel right at home!
If your looking for a special and unique place this is it! Loved it! We will be back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Shane P, General Manager at Pantai Inn, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Hi Janet -

Thank you very much for your kind words about the Pantai Inn. We're glad that we could give you such a wonderful experience. Our staff definitely strives to be the best and it sounds like that showed during your stay. Hopefully, you have a chance to return to La Jolla and the Pantai Inn in the near future. We will be awaiting your return. Have a wonderful day!

- Shane Pappas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

This is our first visit to the San Diego area and have found the Pantai Inn the perfect spot. I am a clean freak and have not found one thing that gives me the willies. The location is amazing and many things are within walking distance. The staff is wonderful! Would stay here forever!!!

• Stayed October 2012
Shane P, General Manager at Pantai Inn, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Lucy,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback regarding the Pantai Inn. We always love receiving guest feedback. I am so glad that you have enjoyed your experience at Pantai. I have to agree with your comments about the staff. In my opinion, we have THE best staff in La Jolla. From housekeeping to the front desk they definitely make my job as general manager much easier. Thank you again for your wonderful comments and we hope that you choose Pantai Inn for any future stays.

- Shane Pappas
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The Pantai Inn offers an exceptional location and should meet all expectations. There are lots of great hotels in this area right by the coast. The combination of parking, free wifi , and access to the beach was tops on my list. And, this is a very difficult combo in the village. We stayed in a room with a partial ocean view and if you want an ocean view definitely go for a room that is a full ocean view. Room is a misnomer as these units have bedrooms, living rooms and kitchens. Not huge, mind you, but comfortable. Breakfast on the patio is lovely. No pool or fitness center.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent. It is just a matter of ocean view or not.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Stayed three nights at Pantai Inn in August. The staff was fantastic. The rooms excellent. The location is incredible. There was a slight mix up on booking - not to the fault of Pantai staff but with a online booking system that sold us the arrangement. I was absolutely amazed at how accommodating the manager was at calling me, well ahead of our stay, to make alternate arrangements and ensure our stay was most fabulous. Within walking to great shopping (wife loved that) and restaurants. Every morning for breakfast or anytime we strolled through the office the staff knew exactly who we were by name. They were very attentive to everything we needed. I can't recall the last time we had service to this degree. Oh, and the landscape - wow.
Without a doubt this is the hands down best stay in San Diego!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Pantai_Inn_Family, General Manager at Pantai Inn, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear Lamaniac,
Thank you very much for your comments. We are glad to hear from you and to know that we exceeded your expectations during your last visit to Pantai Inn.
Please do not hesitate to contact us directly for your future trip to Pantai Inn.
We look forward to hearing back from you soon.
Terima Kasih,
(As they say in Bali, Thank you)

Bernardo Zavala
Sales and Operations Manager
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

That was fabulous!
We totally understood why this hotel has attracted so many people after experiencing their hospitality and perfect service. Cleaning crew wasalways friendly, beds were made perfectly, and everything was neat and comfortable.
Not many comments on breakfast were found on websites, so we did not expect much, but every morning we enjoyed fresh fruit, bagels and pastries. Coffee and tea were available anytime.
The room was beyond description. It was charming. We enjoyed ocean views from the window.

Their hospitality made our trip unforgettable and precious. We wish we could fly back now and stay at Pantai inn as long as possible !!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

After much debate and research on where to spend our San Diego vacation labor day week, we settled on the pantai inn. I had some trouble at first determining if this was the right call for the following reasons. For anyone not sure if this is the right place to stay, let me answer the questions I had about this place:

1. Location: this was my biggest concern. Not being at all familiar with the area, I wasn't sure that I would really get the 'vacation vibe' without staying somewhere like the Hotel Del Coronado. Turns out I was way wrong.

After staying here, I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else on the California coast, much less anywhere else in San Diego. What's really weird to me is that it seems they're UNDERSELLING the location. You're steps from several small beaches where you can get in the water or put down a towel and tan. Or watch seals and seagulls play. Or watch the waves crash against the cliffs. Or sit in the park and watch the sun set or have a picnic (this ended up being our favorite part of the trip). Walk along the coast and watch the sun set or walk up the street to dozens of dining options of all varieties, from smash burger and Jose's Mexican to high end eateries. You'll never have a shortage of things to do without ever getting in a car.

2. Service: it's an inn - how does it compare to a chain hotel? Again, this trip makes me want to never stay at a chain hotel on vacation again (and I travel a good deal). Every single person here has been unbelievably nice. The groundskeeper, the people at the desk, the housekeepers... Unbelievable. Everyone seems genuinely happy and they really seem to care about how to make the experience as good as possible. I've never experienced service like this.

I also need to mention that the housekeepers do an excellent job. Totally above and beyond, and they should be recognized for their hard work.

3. The property and amenities: again, it's hard to explain in words how nice this place is. As I type this I'm looking out the window of our suite at the waves of the pacific while the huge LED HDTV is on mute and the gas fireplace is going. Came here with my wife and it's been the most romantic setting we've ever experienced... It even beats our honeymoon in the virgin islands in a rented villa overlooking the Caribbean and the islands. The property is so beautiful that I've seen several people every day stop and take pictures in front of the water features - and I'm not watching for it.

There are high end blankets and beach towels in the suite. There are towels galore, and they're replaced twice(!) daily during turndown and daily housekeeping services. We get fruit infused water each evening and sometimes coffee in the lobby. The outside courtyard are overlooks the ocean and has comfortable furniture.

I almost hate to say this, but I'm surprised the Pantai isn't charging twice as much as they are. This place is outstanding. If you're unsure about staying here, put your doubts to rest. It doesn't get any better than this.

Room Tip: Suite 202 overlooks the ocean From the living room. This was a "partial ocean view" 1br su...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear loutravlr,

Thank you so much for such kind words. We sincerely appreciate the time you took in writing your comments and nothing makes us happier than to see that you had a great time and that you found our service to be exceptional.
We look forward to welcoming you soon a Pantai Inn.
Terima Kasih,
(As they say in Bali, Thank you)

Bernardo Zavala
Sales and Operations Manager

Been to Pantai Inn? Share your experiences!