“Average by NYC standards” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Eddie V's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 1,262 Restaurants in La Jolla
Cuisines: American
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Cave St.
Transit: San Diego Transit Authority Bus #30 stops at the corner of Torrey Pines Road and Prospect Street.
Cairo, New York
“Average by NYC standards”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

The food was OK, and service quite good. It's too darn dark for an 81 year old to read the menu! Get some accent lighting! We used our iPhone for a light source.

Visited December 2011

San Diego, California
“A Hip Jewel in La Jolla”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

Arriving at Eddie V's in La Jolla the valet staff is fast and courteous at this relatively new restuarant. This location was previously the Chart House and I was sorry to see it go as I do enjoy a good steak, but Eddie V's is all about an upscale, hip, happening spot.

The front desk staff failed to aknowledge or greet us upon our entrance into the restuarant even though I was wearing a suit for our dinner reservation with friends, and catered to some obvious regulars (blue blood, La Jolla retirees) who walked in behind us leaving me feeling a bit slighted. The staff did direct us to the upstairs bar where our party of 7 was waiting. This reservation was made 2 months in advance and is regulary booked up so make your reservations early.

In the bar I opted for a Cherry Manhattan which is made from a single malt bourbon and it was delicious, my date was a little confused with her grey goose cosmo martini as it looked almost opaque.

Dinner seating was on the tented outside patio which was pretty noisy so much so that conversation was nearly impossible with someone across the table from you. Unfortunately the view from the patio was nill as there is no lighting to illuminate the La Jolla cove shoreline. I would suggest a lunch date is better to take in the view while dining.

I ordered the soup, a carrot something or other bisque, which arrived less than warm and unmemorable. My date had a salad, which she described as ok and the wait staff mixed up our guests salads serving the scallop salad, which was described the guest described as good and like sushi. Unfortunate for my friend who wanted his salad. but didn't want to make waves with the staff.

I had the yellowtail the wait staff recommended and it was delicious, my date had the swordfish however it didn't taste much like swordfish she said with the sauce it was masked in. Not my type of cuisine when you adulterate the natural flavors of the main ingredient. I opted to continue with the Cherry Manhattans as they were pretty good and helped drown out the noise level. I noticed a couple seated across from each other and they appeared to be getting along ok so maybe it was just me thinking it was a bit noisy for an upscale dining experience. God knows it wasn't cheap.

I passed on the blackberry cobbler dessert but my date said it was delecious so I can say it was as it looked good to. I enjoyed the coffee, which was good but nothing to brag about given the location and my past experiences. The coffee should be dark and rich and I dont think it made the mark.

When we finished with dinner we all made our way out onto the bar patio with it's fire pit and view of the darkness overlooking the cove. I guess there must be a restriction of illuminating the shoreline in front of the restuarant. The bar was happening with a 3 piece ensamble, which was the hip, happening part of this review.

I would suggest lunch or a sunset meal to take advantage of the location and the view.

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Henderson, Nevada, United States
“Great food loud atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

Loved the food. Superb shellfish and steak. Atmosphere was too loud for a romantic date. Seemed like it was a place where you had to show off who you were and who you were with. Bar lounge was in the same room as restraunt.

Visited November 2011
San Diego, California
“Expensive but worth it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

The place is beautiful, and the service was amazing we had our every need met. The only reason I will not give a 5 star rating is becuase your entree does not come with anything, you have to order ala carte if you want a vegtable or starch with your main course. I also wished they would have had some clams on the appetizer menu.

• Visited November 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Diego
“Best in La Jolla”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011 via mobile

New place but they have their act together. Great food, great atmosphere, and great service. George's used to be the go to in La Jolla but Eddie V's has taken some market share.

• 5 of 5 stars Food