“Wonderful experience kayaking/snorkeling” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Kayak, standup paddle (SUP), snorkel and surf beautiful La Jolla with the experts from Everyday California. Operating since, sometime in 2000s, and the original kayak tour company in La Jolla, our guides will make your day a memorable experience!
“Wonderful experience kayaking/snorkeling”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

Yesterday my family and I took a kayak tour and then later a snorkeling tour. Sadly, I don't remember the guides' names but they were all friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.

The kayak tour was gorgeous. We learned a great amount about the town of la jolla and got to sea lions up close and leopard sharks below. My only disappointment was not being able to kayak in the caves. I suppose it was because the water was a bit too choppy.

The snorkeling tour was a pleasure. We were able to see fish and leopard sharks, and our guide tried to ensure we had the best experience by making sure we saw as much wildlife as possible.

Overall, this was a fantastic experience. If ever in La Jolla again, I would gladly come back!

Houston, Texas
21 attraction reviews
“Everyday kayaking is a good day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

Nice and choppy waves made for fun n kinda challenging paddling. My first time but I watched a lot of Olympics with rafting and rowing over the years and that helped as I knew the principle somewhat. Am relatively fit and coordinated so that helped too.
Re: scenery.
Unfortunately we did not get into the caves I think due to the waves. Saw caves from outside. Next time maybe get your private paddler so no guesswork required with the tide, waves or whatnots. Am not sure there is any way to be sure how to counteract this.
Snorkeling was rather blah. Few orange fish garibaldi a I think. The waves stirred up sand and visibility was just ok. Lots of kelp. Saw sea lion sleeping and ignoring us all. Alex did a great job to alleviate my boredom with underwater scenery by pointing out interesting things. Natalie dove underneath and her technique was interesting to see and learn from as there was not much variety down under. Some day I too will be as good as her. Hopefully.
Re: staff
When we made reservations they already worked out the best and cheapest deal possible for us without me asking. Nice.
Natalie and Alex were Awesome. I am a poor swimmer but I felt safe all the time. They kept close eye on us. My sister had a defective paddle and Alex noted right away and gave her his own. Staff on shore were Quite organized.
Suggest:
If u have time call first to see whether they can get into caves before making reservation. This might work if they don't run out of spots.
Water is cold and I am get cold easily. More used to tropical waters. High 60s but a 3 mm shortie suit and rashguard and polyelefin leggings were more than adequate. Quite a few were swimming without additional protection.
Parking in neighborhood was possible but we came on a Tuesday. Go early so u have time to look around. Found one a few streets away but the house owner in front of us was giving us dirty looks. Oh well. Nice cafés and restaurants in area to while your time away if you come early.
Getting off can be hairy. I was super confident and relaxed and did not steer so my kayak went sideways and over. Had face in water and wrist banged up a bit. Am typing now so I guess have recovered. Nothing major but just watch it.

Bridgewater, New Jersey
“Unaccommodating”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I bought a groupon for the kayak tour.. So, after I bought the groupon and was excited to make a reservation, I called them up. First, I was immediately placed on hold for 5 minutes, then I was told I couldn't make a reservation because they were too busy. I understand it is a busy season, however, online if I wanted to make a reservation, the website had PLENTY availability for the date I wanted so I am confused. I guess they treat those on a budget using groupon much different than those who could afford their regular rate. The guy on the phone was rude, made me feel bad about myself for not "following the rules on the groupon" and was really unaccommodating. The day I wanted to book the kayak tour was on my anniversary because I thought it'd be a great way to spend it.. but now I am glad I canceled it because no way would I want to celebrate my anniversary with these guys.

Visited August 2014
msamer8, Manager at Everyday California, responded to this review, September 10, 2014
Melissa, What we do is the 5th largest tourist attraction in San Diego, and things are really busy during the summer! We have 4 sales reps working all day on the phones, but still have to put people on hold at times. You couldn't use your vouchers because you called looking for a time when there was no availability. Our website isn't currently fully integrated, so it always appears everything is available even when that isn't the case. We are working on that but we will always leave inventory for non-promotional demand, which is exactly how airlines sell seats on each flight. All anyone needs to do is call a few weeks in advance and there is rarely any trouble. We hope you enjoyed your anniversary! -Mike
NC
“Great experience kayaking near the caves”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our kayak experience with Everyday California. Sadly, I can't remember our guides names but they were very friendly and seemed to know a great deal about the area. Our group was about 12 or so kayaks and it was a bit too large for us to hear most of what the guides had to say. The best part of the trip was seeing all of the sea life and getting up close to the sea lions. One of the bulls even put on quite a show for us in the water near the rocks swimming around and twirling. One minor complaint was that we didn't get to kayak INTO the caves...just around the outside. Calling and securing our reservations was easy. Parking can be VERY challenging in La Jolla as it is a residential area with street parking. I would suggest to arrive about 45 minutes prior to your outing so that you can find a place to park and walk to the shop. Also, lockers are available for a small fee ($3-$5). All in all, it was a great day and fun experience.

5 attraction reviews
“A Magical Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Today, a buddy and I participated in the Sunset Tour with Sam and had a blast. We knew we were in good hands when we arrived at the shop and were greeted enthusiastically by a great staff. They made us feel welcome. For the tour, Sam took us out to the caves and we were able to view the caves and see seals and leopard sharks. It was surreal being in nature. We were well instructed on how to operate the kayak. In addition, we learned a lot about the La Jolla area. California Adventures were able to show us a great time and I would use them again.