“Decent Hotel in a good spot” 4 of 5 stars

Family Fun Package
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersSilver level
Newton Mearns, United Kingdom
“Decent Hotel in a good spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This is a classic Hilton, what you expect, clean and tidy, good service, decent food. The views out across the golf course and then the ocean make this hotel stand out. The service was very friendly and I would happily recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Kagawong, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Attended a week long meeting and was impressed with all the staff and Meeting Rooms. The hotel room was very clean but had a very dim main enterance light. I asked a bunch of other quest and that seem to be a energy saving system. Oh well that is what flashlites are for. There is only one restaurant that shares the same foods as the room service. So we had almost every thing on the menu. If you are going to have the hamburger ask for blue cheese and garlic fries. (not on the menu). The server where great we were always a party of 9 and got great service Mandy a fellow Canadian that moved from Edmonton to live there was our Favourite.

Room Tip: 1st floor best floor for meeting rooms and restaurant
Green Features: the main lite going inside of rooms just a bit ok alot to dim.
Fort Collins, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I was very disappointed in the rooms. The grounds are beautiful, concierge was helpful as well as the front bell staff. When looking for a place to plug in my cell phone behind the night stand there was a lot of dust all over the electrical cords. In our bathroom the vent was full of dust. Before we left the next morning I told the front desk clerk would like it vacuumed. We came back that afternoon and it was not done and housekeeping only emptied the garbage out of the bathroom and not the full garbage can in the room. Very disappointing for a Hilton property. The furniture needs to be replaced. No bed skirts on the beds. Nice view from the room. We went down for breakfast one morning. Very slow service as we didn't want to pay $21 per person for the buffet and placed an order for a yogurt parfait, mixed baked goods basket and the nutella french toast. It took almost 25 minuter to get. The front desk did take some off our bill when we checked out after complaining about the dust and full garbage can. That was nice but wouldn't recommend this property.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This would have been a 3.5 star review. I stay in hotels a lot in my line of work as I am involved in corporate events and conferences. My hotel stays often involve never leaving the property and more often than not, never actually going outside so I'm pretty sensitive to the environment the hotel offers.
This Hilton is in a great location about a 20min drive from the San Diego airport, overlooking the ocean ( about a mile inland) separated by the famous Torrey Pines golf course which is stunning. My experience:
-Upon checking in, the first thing I notices in my ground-level room was that the light inside the foyer and the only one lighting the closet was way too dim. Likely a 9w fluorescent which was little more than a night light and offered zero visibility into the closet. It also had an annoying flicker. I called the front desk immediately asking to have them change the bulb and up the wattage but they never showed up, and I shouldn't have to ask twice. I just suck it up and mention it on here and on Yelp. Strike one Front Desk.
We were working a week long sales meeting for a large pharmaceutical company and had to deal with the Banquets/Catering staff regularly. Without fail they were courteous, helpful, punctual and accommodating. I want to give a particular shout-out to Jesse one of the Catering managers. He was constantly visible, endlessly helpful and went WAY above and beyond to help me out when I had special requests: He arranged extra staging for a mountain bike demo that we changed last minute. He found the snack bars our Host for the week wanted to have extras of. He just always found a way to say YES rather than SORRY. I think this is where hotels should set the bar. Jesse does so thanks man!
I noticed that the few times I needed to call down to the front desk with a question or concern (failed light notwithstanding) their line rang at least 8 to 10 times before anyone answered, and 3 times I let it ring for over a minute and just gave up hanging up. I decided to go up to the lobby to investigate why no one was picking up the phone to discover that though the lobby was fairly busy, they only had 2 staff working the front desk: One was on the phone with a customer seeking a lot of pricing info about the room costs ( I could hear her end of the convo) while the other staff member was busy checking in a family...no one answering the other line when it rang and rang apparently. So note to Hilton Management: You are a hotel that supposedly prides yourself on great properties and even greater standards of customer service. The Front Desk is the Front Line of your customers experience. Would it not seem reasonable to err on the side of OVER-STAFFING during the day and get everyone dealt with quickly, rather than saving a few bucks and having 3 people standing in line for 10 mins waiting for the one guy at the desk to get to them? In my opinion you have a Hilton-looking/costing property with Bargain Basement Front Desk Staff scheduling. Fix that. Take a page from Catering's book. Maybe Jesse needs a transfer upstairs?
My housekeeper was also very friendly and efficient. I usually only get my room cleaned once during a week long stay right in the middle because as a rule, I don't like people in my room and I like my stuff laid out and not moved. Besides, I use the same towel all week at home. If you aren't clean when you towel off after a shower, you aren’t showering right.
All in all this was a good property for the event we were working and for the most part our clients were happy. Though I have to say at least three other people in our group could be heard complaining about how dark it was near the closets. Hilton: either up the wattage of the foyer lights in the rooms, or install in-closet lighting. I believe the Westin does this. Give them a call to find out how.
The super-fast WIFI they brag about on the advertising card on the desk was mediocre at best and often failed when trying to stream video. I was using the Premium (Middle option) upgrade and it wasn't very good. You had to spend $21.95 per day for an actual high-speed connection. Hilton (AND EVRY OTHER BIG HOTEL CHAIN) Charge everyone $10 more per night for the rooms and give the entire hotel FREE FAST WIFI. This way you still make money for the service but come off heroes by offering it free. I always feel totally ripped-off when I have to pay for internet. What year is it? If Econolodge can offer free fast wifi so should Hilton. I have ALWAYS had great FREE internet speeds at the cheaper hotels and this simply DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!
If ever I find myself back in the La Jolla area for pleasure I will likely seek out a smaller boutique hotel and leave the Hilton to it's conventions and big meetings. The internet will be free and fast and they will likely pick up the phone.

Room Tip: The upper rooms are brighter.
Green Features: I hardly ever use housekeeping so I'm pretty green.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

My son is at UCSD and we wanted to spend the long weekend with him. My daughters and I loved the hotel. its a beautiful location and barely a mile from campus. We hiked out to Torrey Pines, we spend time at the pool and hot tub. It was really great.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Fredericksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is a really nice Hilton property in Torrey Pines, CA. It's near La Jolla in the greater San Diego area. The hotel is a luxury hotel next to a great-looking golf course. (I don't play golf so I can't vouch for the quality of the course.) On the other side of the golf course is the Pacific Ocean. What a great view from the hotel. I especially liked the pool and Jacuzzi area. It's a beautiful layout with sort of a Greco-Roman styled concrete fencing. I only ate breakfast here, but it was a very nice buffet layout.

Room Tip: Probably any room if you have a view of the pool, golf course, or ocean.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
Marina Del Rey, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We came here using a Travelzoo deal. It was a great deal. The room itself was very reasonable, but the deal gave us free parking, wi-fi and breakfast! Those freebies were probably a $75 value.

Our room was very comfortable, and had a beautiful ocean view. Unfortunately it was dark when we arrived, but we did enjoy it in the morning before we left. The breakfast was a buffet. The omelet bar was excellent - lots of great choices.

The one thing I didn't like was, when we returned from out evening activities, there was hotel staff sitting outside smoking. I understand the need for a break, however, sitting against the wall smoking was kind of tacky.

I would definitely return if I got another deal like this. I'm not sure I would return if I had to pay for parking and wi-fi though, so we'll be on the lookout for the next promotion!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines? Share your experiences!