“Nothing Special - Great View” 3 of 5 stars
Review of La Jolla Shores Hotel

Save Saved
You added La Jolla Shores Hotel to your Saves list
La Jolla Shores Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8110 Camino del Oro, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92037 (Formerly Sea Lodge Hotel)   |
Hotel packages
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #9 of 24 hotels in La Jolla
Orange County, CA
“Nothing Special - Great View”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

I'll keep this shortlist style so you'll actually read this:

Pros:
- Literally on the beach
- Great rates on their website ($280 for a King facing the ocean w/ a kitchen & balcony)
- La Jolla Caves kayak tours launch right in front of the hotel
- Awesome little pizza place is about a 3 minute walk away (House of Pizza)
- Drinks at the bar face the ocean + very cool bartenders
- 42" LCD TV on the wall with a DVD Player
- You can reserve a fire/bbq on the beach for the evening

Cons:
- $14 for parking
- Local restaurant choices are Italian, Italian, Pizza, Italian, & Sushi
- Nobody serves local San Diego craft brew unless you drive to PB
- Crying baby kept us up all night & front desk's response was "Yeah, happens to me all the time" and didn't seem to care.
- Room smelled like bleach (strong)

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

452 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Boulder, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

The rooms are a little worn and the restaurant was very mediocre, but the hotel was still exactly what I was looking for. For a mere $280 I was right on the beach, could hear the ocean as I went to sleep and that was all I needed. The bed was fine and the room was clean. All in all, a pleasant experience.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
La Habra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

We just came back from a fantastic stay at this hotel where we put our parents up for the weekend to celebrate their wedding anniversary. From check in to check out, we were treated with white gloves service. Everyone from Heather at the front desk greeting us with a friendly smile and facilitating a smooth check-in to Amanda, the concierge, taking care of dinner reservations and helping out with local entertainment options helped make our stay special. I can't complement the staff at this hotel enough. I have a new appreciation for the value a good staff brings to a hotel experience. The accommodations were fantastic and the hotel spotless. This hotel has a great setup and the location on the beach is about as good as it gets. Not to mention, the view is something out of a magazine. The only complaint we have is that we didn't have more time!! We should have stayed the entire week. Our parents were thoroughly impressed and we were grateful to the staff for helping to make this weekend a special memory. There's no question the La Jolla Shores hotel delivers everything you need for a memorable experience in San Diego.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Richmond, VA, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2010

We were very pleased with our stay and have no complaints. The staff was very friendly and responded quickly to our requests. The sunsets were fabulous. The facility is not new, but well kept. The rooms were of a nice size and reasonably well furnished. The Internet worked well but they did not have wireless. Each morning we walked a couple blocks down Avenida De La Playa to Papalulu’s Restaurant for a good breakfast at a good price. The hotel shuttle took us up to the Seal Beach so we could walk back and enjoy the views along the way. The ocean-side room had a balcony and provided a great view of the beach.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2010

This is not the fanciest or most modern hotel you can find in this area, but somehow, it seemed like the perfect place. I'ved stayed at higher-end, full service hotels for my work, and smaller, locally owned B&B type places in the US and Europe for personal travel. I think I like this place so much because it has some of the best of both styles. The hotel harkens back to an earlier time, yet doesn't seem dated. It has a warm, caring feel--this comes from polite and attentive customer service--of a locally owned establishment, yet also has a full restaurant and room service, and modern ammenities (i.e., flat-screen TVs, internet).

For families, the hotel has a nice pool and hot tub, is right on the beach, and is next to a park with playground. Because I was sick during part of my visit, I ate at the hotel restaurant more than I might have normally. The food is very good (best salmon I've eaten in a few years, and we eat it regularly) and is surprisingly affordable. My room was a partial ocean view overlooking the park. It was very spacious by modern hotel room standards, and I noticed no problems with cleanliness that others have mentioned. I even loved the bath products. Despite all of these things, I think the thing that really makes or breaks a hotel stay is customer service, and the La Jolla Shores scored 5 stars during my stay. All employees were polite and attentive, while never being condescending toward their guests. I felt welcomed and relaxed here, and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

I would say definately don't go on Labor Day weekend like we did. It was really overcrowded and that made it not as fun. The beach was great, but sooooo crowded. The hotel was okay. It was clean, but they really need to install central air. On a really hot day the wall units just don't cool the room.

Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

Horrible! The worst quality for the price I've ever had. We booked an ocean view room for $500+/night after discounts and were unpleasantly surprised with the room quality - almost everything was old and required repairs, screens on the balcony doors did not open, toilet flush was taking unusually long time (more about it later), walls/doors scratched and required painting, holes in sealing in bathroom counters, etc. One weird thing also was that at the check-in the clerk said "you're upgraded to a better room, with king bed + sofa and kitchenette" but... nope, when we entered a room it was what we ordered, no kitchenette, etc (huh? we neither asked nor wanted upgrades, but that *is* weird). But the fun started at night. When I went to bathroom before going to sleep and opened the door, the floor was covered with water which quickly overflew to the living room... The toilet got clogged and was overflowing. I stopped the water and called the emergency number, they sent a tech and security guy and moved us to another room. The other room sucked, too. The wired internet connection did not work (and they don't have wireless there). Needless to say we left to another hotel in the morning. The management made a full refund, except $14 for parking.

Pros:
- location right at the beach (cons: the beach is *noisy*)
- the restaurant was ok

Cons:
- absolutely not worth the price!!!
- old, everything requires repairs
- bad smells
- no free parking ($14/night)
- beware of attacks of the talking toilets!!!

I was told they are "going through remodeling at the moment" and that we got an old room that will be remodeled soon. Hopefully. But in no way my foot will stand near to this hotel ever again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to La Jolla Shores Hotel? Share your experiences!