“Location, Location, Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Jolla Shores Hotel

Save Saved
You added La Jolla Shores Hotel to your Saves list
La Jolla Shores Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8110 Camino del Oro, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92037 (Formerly Sea Lodge Hotel)   |
Hotel packages
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast Package!
Ranked #8 of 23 hotels in La Jolla
Torrance, California, United States
“Location, Location, Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Location is everything at La Jolla Beach. This hotel was nice and we had a great time. The third floor beach view room was great. They set up chairs and umbrellas for you to sit in the sand. Facilities were clean and staff was great. A couple of ping pong tables were used by the kids quite a bit. Food was very good but a little pricey.
Overall, this hotel was a good value. Rooms are a little aged but it is a beach hotel not a fancy resort. Everyone is casual and laid back. We would go again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

419 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We loved everything about this hotel. Yes, the property has been around the block a few times, but we felt the staff and other services made our stay one of our best beach vacations. We were less then 20 yards from the beach where they offer great beach service such as beach chairs, umbrellas and even a beach BBQ if requested. The view from both inside and outside the restuarant and lounge is beautful and relaxing.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

My family and I just got back from a stay at La Jolla. This hotel can definitely use a makeover but to stay at a hotel on the beach in La Jolla, for this price, with this kind of customer service, I can over look the older decor. We were able to walk to great restaurants, a sundries store, rent kayaks, swim with sharks and seals, play at the park, and hang out on the beach (where the hotel sets up your chairs, towels and umbrella). So yes, be prepared, the hotel itself could be prettier, but everything else was stellar.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Fort Collins, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We LOVED this hotel. We went to La Jolla Shores looking for a hotel we could spend most of our time at and be close to the beach. What we didn't know before our arrival is the ocean just a few yards from hotel door is a preserved area. Tourism was huge in the area. The beach was filled with snorkelers, scuba divers, kayaks, surfers, seals, sea lions, sharks (that don't bite humans), sting rays, and other sea life. The hotel dining experience was amazing because it was delicious and priced affordable. The hotel staff was very nice and friendly. The cleaning ladies were amazing. This vacation was everything we wanted and more. We will be back!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I read the reviews on here prior to booking the hotel and they are spot on....this is why I LOVE trip advisor! I will just give brief overview of my stay. To put this into perspective, I was leaving a Ritz Carlton in Dana Point and coming to La Jolla Shores.....PLEASE understand that at the Ritz you pay for the experience as well as incredibly nice rooms--At La Jolla Shores you are paying strictly for location. Yes the room was nice, I booked room 335 (Which I would book again), an oceanfront suite which was again, nice (Spacious, vaulted ceiling) but the quality is lacking. I have NO problem with this as I knew exactly what I was booking so I was not disappointed. However, had I not read the reviews I may have been somewhat confused with cost/quality.
That having been said, the location was PERFECT! I mapped out everything I wanted to do and was able to do even more than that due to the convenience of the way the city is mapped out as well as ease of getting places. It was on the weekend so I'm sure the lack of traffic worked in my favor. I had less than 48 hours in San Diego and was able to do everything I wanted. La Jolla Beach, Cove, saw the seals, Museum of Contemporary Art, the Living Room for coffee, dinner by La Jolla Beach and in downtown La Jolla, gelato, and then the few hours I had before needing to be at the airport I was able to briefly check out downtown San Diego. Shout out to Ben at the front desk of La Jolla Shores who not only gave me great recommendations on restaurants but walked me outside to put me in the right direction of them.
Overall, I would absolutely stay here again and I would also recommend this to beach lovers who truly want a great overall experience, not afraid to pay a little extra for it, and not obsessive over the lack of marble sinks and pristine bedding.

Room Tip: 335-King bed suite all the way! Oceanfront, Sunset views, top floor! Why stay at the beach if you...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Toledo, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We had a beachfront unit with kitchen. Yes the room was a little dated, but it was clean and the views were wonderful. We were up early every day and were able to walk the beach or head to town to walk along the Cove. As far as issues, the air conditioning unit was not particularly effective and its location near the floor in the corner was difficult to get to and air floor was blocked by the bedside stand. The curtains that covered the wall to wall windows and door to the deck also were strangely situated. You had to open them all the way from left to right to clear the sliding door to the deck. It would have been nice to open the opposite way so you could open them just far enough to get out onto the deck, particularly if the other person wanted to continue sleeping.

The service was fine and the young men tending the beach chairs and towels were always nearby. You are charged $18 per night parking which I feel is nitpicky. For the price you pay it should just be included in the daily room rate. We would stay at the Shores again sometime. You can't beat the location.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I celebrated my 60th birthday with about 50 friends and family and several of us stayed the whole weekend in the beachfront rooms overlooking the ocean and beach. All of my guests said they had a wonderful time and what a beautiful place it was to hold a celebration party. The food was wonderful, the sunset was gorgeous and the sound of the ocean. It doesn't get any better than that.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice but the beachfront room is my favorite. You can sit on your balcony and watch...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to La Jolla Shores Hotel? Share your experiences!